PDA

View Full Version : TX Broadcaster: Big 12 transfers

g$$
04-07-2008, 06:17 PM
This is what I have found so far. Remember football & basketball are different than other sports. Baseball transfer rules change next year (no longer will be eligible immediately even with full release if going D1-A to D1-A). Schools can limit your options in the transfer process too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1602877
**this dealt w/ unusual Baylor basketball scenario a few years back, so Big 12 waived normal rule

http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/pac10/compl/ccaca/surveys/ictransfers.pdf
**basic transfer rules for NCAA & each conference

http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/transfer_guide/2007-08/2007-08_transfer_guide.pdf

I believe, & I could be wrong, that if a kid transfers within the Big 12 Conference in football he has to sit out 2 years (as opposed to normal 1 year if going to other conferences w/ full release).

Again, don't see Kinne going to a Big 12 school (highly frowned upon & they make it tough to do anyway). His clock has started (5 to play 4) & he redshirted last year. He was not injured so he can't apply now for a medical hardship & request another year (must redshirt normally 1st before applying for hardship). That gives him 4 years to play, so he loses another year if he goes to another D1-A school not in Big 12. He can transfer down from D1-A & be eligible immediately if he is in good academic standing & has a full release, which should not be a problem.

Again, this stuff is fluid & I may be wrong. Exceptions must be reviewed by NCAA panel after filing a request. NCAA did give Kirby Freeman another year after he left Miami for Baylor based on grad school curriculum, but it's rare.

kepdawg
04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
From the Big 12 Handbook: (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big12/genrel/auto_pdf/big12-handbook-complete.pdf)

6.3 Intraconference Transfers. The eligibility of a student-athlete who transfers directly or
indirectly from one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined by NCAA
regulations and the following Conference requirements. In the event NCAA regulations require
the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to
compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one season of competition in that sport.
The waiver of an NCAA transfer regulation for a student-athlete does not negate the need for
a waiver of this section.

g$$
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
"one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined by NCAA regulations and the following Conference requirements" --Big 12

There's the key. Pre-existing rules determine what happens for each conference, & football & basketball are different than other sports. It gets very complicated & that's where Compliance comes into play. The NCAA holds your future in their hands, & each conference can make other rules too.

Very similar to how institutions can make their academic standards tougher than the normal NCAA requirements. Same for conferences & their rules regarding items such as this one.

Txbroadcaster
04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I never meant to infere Kinne was going to a Big 12 school..I was just making the comment Brown said he would sign off for a transfer to any school

And I thought if a coach did not sign off and agree it was 2 years inside Big 12..but if they oked it then it was normal one year.

g$$
04-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I never meant to infere Kinne was going to a Big 12 school..I was just making the comment Brown said he would sign off for a transfer to any school

And I thought if a coach did not sign off and agree it was 2 years inside Big 12..but if they oked it then it was normal one year.

Not sure...just relaying what I was told & what I researched on web. Honestly not real sure, but doubtful he goes to Big 12 school.

I believe the Big 12 rule is 2 years for football transferring within the conference even with release, which would make it almost impossible. I can't think of any Big 12 football transfers in recent years. They make it very hard to do & punish you big-time.

TMer25
04-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Ryan Nunez doing it back in 96 is the only person I can think of doing it. He only had to sit out a year. Obviously the rule could have changed in the past 12 years.

Aesculus gilmus
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
History and logic say he transfers to Louisiana Tech.

I don't know who the starting QB is in Ruston now, but I hope it's his senior year coming up, for both of their sakes.

coachc45
04-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
From the Big 12 Handbook: (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big12/genrel/auto_pdf/big12-handbook-complete.pdf)

6.3 Intraconference Transfers. The eligibility of a student-athlete who transfers directly or
indirectly from one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined by NCAA
regulations and the following Conference requirements. In the event NCAA regulations require
the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to
compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one season of competition in that sport.
The waiver of an NCAA transfer regulation for a student-athlete does not negate the need for
a waiver of this section.

When you read the rule it does not say in addition to. It simply states that if the NCAA waives the sit out time, then the kid still has to sit a year. It does not state that he has to do an additional year. Basically it is one year either way.

Adidas410s
04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I still wouldn't count out Fresno St as a possibility. With his father taking a job out there...I wouldn't be surprised if something "came up" that allowed him to get a waiver with the NCAA. They're becoming more generous with granting them than before. Case in point, DT Chris Perry (Keller HS) transferred from Miami (FL) to Texas Tech this year. He redshirted at Miami (FL) last year. He filed a waiver claiming that he moved closer to home because of a serious illness within his family. My only question is...how close is "close to home?" I'm guessing 300 miles or so falls within that group.

g$$
04-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
When you read the rule it does not say in addition to. It simply states that if the NCAA waives the sit out time, then the kid still has to sit a year. It does not state that he has to do an additional year. Basically it is one year either way.

Not necessarily. All depends on full release from school & conference rules. Conference rules can be tougher than NCAA rules (just like in academic requirements). It could be 2 years & it could be 1 year if all went perfectly. Problem is most schools will not allow you to transfer within conference.

I forgot about Nunez transferring from Colorado. RHP Eric French did it in baseball too, left Texas & made All-Big 12 at A&M. Texas does not allow that in baseball anymore, I know that for a fact.

I think Kinne goes somewhere out of Big 12 & loses 1 more year of eligibility. He would then have 3 years left since he already redshirted. Unless there are circumstances, waiver granted, etc. to allow him immediate eligibility, but that's doubtful.