PDA

View Full Version : Astros-Cubs

Necks_Fan
04-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Anybody watching?

Stros lead 3-2 in the bottom of the 5th.

Necks_Fan
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Now 5-2 with Lee on 3rd and 1 out in the 6th. Fukudome just robbed Tejeda with a spectacular catch in the outfield. Would have been a sure double, possibly a triple and would have scored Lee from 2nd.

Nice catch.

Necks_Fan
04-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Stros lose 9-7.

Lee had a monster game but to no avail and Berkman left with neck spasms. They say he will most likely sit tomorrow. I hope it's nothing bad.

g$$
04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately, the Astros are gonna play a lot of 9-7 type games this year. Offense is coming around & should be good, but just don't have the pitching. Even Roy O. looks mortal now. I wonder if he is hurting. Lots of innings the past few years & he is a small guy. He did not have a single K in 6.2 innings today - I know he is trying to throw fewer pitches & stay in the game longer (thus not going for Ks), but something is up. He has given up 21 hits in 2 games. He still has not found his curveball this year. You can't be a 1 pitch fastball guy (with a few sliders) in MLB & survive very long, esp. as a starter. They were sitting dead-red on him with no fear of the breaking stuff.

I hope it gets better but not very optimistic about the pitching long-term. And, Carlos Lee is a fine hitter but maybe the worst LF in the game (Ryan Braun?). No range & below avg. fielder. I'll be rooting them on regardless. Ed Wade has to rebuild the minor leagues & clean up Timid Tim Purpura's mess, & that takes time.

Antec
04-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Lee owns a small ranch with cattle outside of Boling= 8 miles from Wharton

g$$
04-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Lee owns a small ranch with cattle outside of Boling= 8 miles from Wharton

Sure does, high dollar operation too. Supposed to be a good guy.

SWMustang
04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Unfortunately, the Astros are gonna play a lot of 9-7 type games this year. Offense is coming around & should be good, but just don't have the pitching. Even Roy O. looks mortal now. I wonder if he is hurting. Lots of innings the past few years & he is a small guy. He did not have a single K in 6.2 innings today - I know he is trying to throw fewer pitches & stay in the game longer (thus not going for Ks), but something is up. He has given up 21 hits in 2 games. He still has not found his curveball this year. You can't be a 1 pitch fastball guy (with a few sliders) in MLB & survive very long, esp. as a starter. They were sitting dead-red on him with no fear of the breaking stuff.

I hope it gets better but not very optimistic about the pitching long-term. And, Carlos Lee is a fine hitter but maybe the worst LF in the game (Ryan Braun?). No range & below avg. fielder. I'll be rooting them on regardless. Ed Wade has to rebuild the minor leagues & clean up Timid Tim Purpura's mess, & that takes time.

I hope you're wrong about Roy, but it doesn't look good right now. I think he;s always been a better second half of the season pitcher but we'll see

sahen
04-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Roy needs to find his curveball and he will be fine...sometimes pitchers take a few games to get all their stuff together...

g$$
04-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Roy needs to find his curveball and he will be fine...sometimes pitchers take a few games to get all their stuff together...

I hope you are right, but he struggled in Spring Training his last 2 starts too (ST doesn't matter I realize, but it's a red flag). Has not found his breaking ball & off-speed stuff. I love Oswalt, but we have ridden him hard. He has the most wins in MLB since 2001.

You can't be a 1-pitch guy in MLB - they are too good. He better find it quickly. We need him at his best.