PDA

View Full Version : Astros trade Wagner

shellman54
11-03-2003, 12:58 PM
The Astors are on the verge of completing a trade with Philly for Brandon Duckworth. I guess they are trying to clear up some space so they can attempt to sign Andy Pettite. Hate to see Billy go, though.

sahen
11-03-2003, 01:14 PM
It's cause of what he said last year....Duckworth is worth it and Dotel will be closer...clearing out some salary and a mouth...but i hate to see him go too

The Guru
11-03-2003, 01:43 PM
He wrote his ticket out of town with his comments on the last day. He said he was going to get traded, so the Astros proved him right. Look at it this way, when he blew the save against the Giants, the 'stros chances at the playoffs were all but blown too.

Brahma73
11-03-2003, 01:47 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've sat and watched Dotel appear in the 8th and absolutely blow batters away, hoping against hope he's be back out there in the 9th to continue the domination. Now I'll get to see what I've been missing. Not that The Kid was shabby, but toward the end of the season, he allowed 1 or 2 baserunners (or more) almost every time he entered the game.

grigsby
11-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Wagner is good and all, but I don't see the need to spend all that money on him when they have Brad Lidge. Brad is going to be a great prospect with the Stros. I also hate to see him go, but we need Pettite.

grigsby
11-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Also they have Dotel!

JasperDog94
11-03-2003, 02:01 PM
grigsby:
Wagner is good and all, but I don't see the need to spend all that money on him when they have Brad Lidge. Brad is going to be a great prospect with the Stros. I also hate to see him go, but we need Pettite.I couldn't agree more. :)

grigsby
11-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Another thing is that the Cubs did a lot of trading in the pre-season and even in the season. Personally I though that they were going to bite themselves in the butt but hey they did real good this year. Hopefully by adding some pitcher like Pettite to the rotation of Robertson, Miller, Oswalt and Lidge they will have something they have been lacking in the past years PITCHING. They have the line up to follow that and will be great if the pick up some pitching.

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Do any of you Houston fans know about the projected salary for the team next year? From what I've been hearing, Pettite could get upwards of $12-$13 million a year...if the Astros aren't willing to raise their spending for next year, trading Wagner isn't going to be the only move if they want to get involved in the Pettite negotiations.

shellman54
11-03-2003, 03:18 PM
I don't know about the payroll number, but there is also speculation that they will try to move Hidalgo as well.

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:20 PM
shellman54:
I don't know about the payroll number, but there is also speculation that they will try to move Hidalgo as well.Hidalgo would fit nicely in the Rangers lineup...I'd love to see a Texas trade...we have plenty of up and coming 1st basemen that we'll have to deal eventually, and the Astros could probably use some prospects with Bagwell's age.

AggieJohn
11-03-2003, 03:21 PM
petite would be a studly addition to our lineup

WoodvilleFan
11-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Wagner is a gascan. I saw him give up way to many homers in games that mattered. He was a good closer unless it was a big game.

he had a quote about the Houston fans not knowing when to cheer or not knowing baseball -- I know it is bad when you give up 2 homers in the ninth. Glad to see him go

shellman54
11-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Think about this: if Houston gets Petitte, here could be their possible five man rotation.

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson
Carlos Hernandez (if he returns to his form from two seasons ago)

Brutal...........

St. Ivender
11-03-2003, 03:25 PM
I've heard Petitte would command $10-11 million. Hidalgo could be another casualty. Hate to see Wagner go but he does seem to get himself into trouble before dropping the hammer. Dotel and Lidge will be fine. Duckworth will fit in nicely.

AggieJohn
11-03-2003, 03:27 PM
what if you had to give up Hildalgo for Pettitte..do you do it......

shellman54
11-03-2003, 03:34 PM
explayer2001:
what if you had to give up Hildalgo for Pettitte..do you do it......depends on what Hidalgo you're getting rid of. The Hidalgo of a few years ago, it would be pretty tough. The Hidalgo when he struggled throughout the year, then my only question would be, "What number to you want to wear, Mr. Pettite?"

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:36 PM
shellman54:
Think about this: if Houston gets Petitte, here could be their possible five man rotation.

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson

Brutal...........Doesn't Duckworth have to get a spot in the rotation? If he doesn't, the Astros basically gave Wagner away...they should at least get something that they can use.

AggieJohn
11-03-2003, 03:38 PM
shellman54:

explayer2001:
what if you had to give up Hildalgo for Pettitte..do you do it......depends on what Hidalgo you're getting rid of. The Hidalgo of a few years ago, it would be pretty tough. The Hidalgo when he struggled throughout the year, then my only question would be, "What number to you want to wear, Mr. Pettite?"okay how bout bigg?

shellman54
11-03-2003, 03:39 PM
crzyjournalist03:

shellman54:

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson

Brutal...........Doesn't Duckworth have to get a spot in the rotation? If he doesn't, the Astros basically gave Wagner away...they should at least get something that they can use.I guess you can interchange Duckworth and Hernandez

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:39 PM
who's going to take Craig Biggio as a centerfielder when natural CF's like Kenny Lofton are going to be available?

St. Ivender
11-03-2003, 03:46 PM
shellman54:

crzyjournalist03:

shellman54:

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson

Brutal...........Doesn't Duckworth have to get a spot in the rotation? If he doesn't, the Astros basically gave Wagner away...they should at least get something that they can use.I guess you can interchange Duckworth and HernandezHernandez is Mike Hampton reincarnated. In other words very good. Robertson is a junk baller and an accident waiting to happen. He had a few wins last year but that lolly-pop curve ball is just begging to be taken yard.

GWOOD
11-03-2003, 03:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by shellman54:

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson

Brutal...........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't Duckworth have to get a spot in the rotation? If he doesn't, the Astros basically gave Wagner away...they should at least get something that they can use.
Yes they gave Wagner away. The idea was to free up money for a possible free agent pitcher not to get an even trade.

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:52 PM
GWOOD:

quote:

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson

Brutal...........

Doesn't Duckworth have to get a spot in the rotation? If he doesn't, the Astros basically gave Wagner away...they should at least get something that they can use.
Yes they gave Wagner away. The idea was to free up money for a possible free agent pitcher not to get an even trade.I understand the logic of freeing up salary, but they could have at least gotten prospects...lots of teams reported interest in Wagner, including Boston and New York...I think the Astros may have jumped the gun a little too soon...if they had waited a couple more weeks, they could have easily gotten much more value and still freed up salary for potential free agents, and besides, it's not a guarantee that Petitte would go to Houston...sure he wants to move closer to home, but remember when Griffey wanted to be closer to home? He ended up in Cincinatti where they paid him the big bucks. The Yankees are going to need Petitte, and they may drive the bidding too high for Houston, and that's not even considering wild cards like Texas or Boston, who have been known to throw out money to bring in someone they want...Texas claims to be cutting salary, but I won't believe it until I see it.

JasperDog94
11-03-2003, 03:53 PM
explayer2001:
what if you had to give up Hildalgo for Pettitte..do you do it......Not yes, but heck yes.

AggieJohn
11-03-2003, 03:54 PM
then berkman....ooohh...now there's a dilema...he did have slump year...but is that a continual thing....

JasperDog94
11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
How about we send Bagwell back to the Red Sox to be a DH so he doesn't have to throw and they give us some pitching...say Pedro. :D

Seriously though, please get Bagwell off of first base and trade him to a team so he can DH. I almost feel sorry for him when I watch him throw. :( Then I remember how much money he's making and then I get angry. :mad:

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
explayer2001:
then berkman....ooohh...now there's a dilema...he did have slump year...but is that a continual thing....I doubt Berkman is going anywhere for at least two more years...he was too good before this year to just dump him off.

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 03:58 PM
JasperDog94:
How about we send Bagwell back to the Red Sox to be a DH so he doesn't have to throw and they give us some pitching...say Pedro. :D

Seriously though, please get Bagwell off of first base and trade him to a team so he can DH. I almost feel sorry for him when I watch him throw. :( Then I remember how much money he's making and then I get angry. :mad: wasn't he injured most of this year? Bagwell's been one of the great first basemen for a long time...I think injury probably contributed to his lack of ability to play the position...he should be able to bounce back, but you're right...AL teams would be lining up to have a guy like him as a DH/part time 1B.

shellman54
11-03-2003, 04:01 PM
crzyjournalist03:

GWOOD:

quote:

Andy Pettite
Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller
Jereome Robertson

Brutal...........

Yes they gave Wagner away. The idea was to free up money for a possible free agent pitcher not to get an even trade.I understand the logic of freeing up salary, but they could have at least gotten prospects...lots of teams reported interest in Wagner, including Boston and New York...I think the Astros may have jumped the gun a little too soon...if they had waited a couple more weeks, they could have easily gotten much more value and still freed up salary for potential free agents, and besides, it's not a guarantee that Petitte would go to Houston...sure he wants to move closer to home, but remember when Griffey wanted to be closer to home? He ended up in Cincinatti where they paid him the big bucks. The Yankees are going to need Petitte, and they may drive the bidding too high for Houston, and that's not even considering wild cards like Texas or Boston, who have been known to throw out money to bring in someone they want...Texas claims to be cutting salary, but I won't believe it until I see it.They did pick up a couple of right handed prospects. And yes, it is only speculation that Houston can get Pettite, but he has already expressed interest in pitching closer to home, which may still be a positive for all the Texas Rangers fans on the post.

JasperDog94
11-03-2003, 04:58 PM
crzyjournalist03:

JasperDog94:

Seriously though, please get Bagwell off of first base and trade him to a team so he can DH. I almost feel sorry for him when I watch him throw. :( Then I remember how much money he's making and then I get angry. :mad: wasn't he injured most of this year? Bagwell's been one of the great first basemen for a long time...I think injury probably contributed to his lack of ability to play the position...he should be able to bounce back, but you're right...AL teams would be lining up to have a guy like him as a DH/part time 1B.Bagwell has already said that his shoulder will never get better. It would require surgery and he's not going to do it. I don't remember all the details, but he's been hurt the past two years and it's not looking any better for the future. :mad:

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 05:07 PM
oh...I didn't know the extent of his injury...we don't get much Astros news in Dallas...is the surgery career threatening??? I can't think of any other reason that he wouldn't just have the surgery.

sahen
11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
he just doesnt want to have surgery so he can play the remaining couple years on his contract and then retire...he has decided he has had enough of baseball and he had a great carrer at that...i hope the astros keep him around just so he can finish his career here...a real class guy...

crzyjournalist03
11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
yeah, Bagwell deserves to be one of the guys who spends his whole career with one team...not many of them left, but he and Biggio could both do it. Right now the closest the Rangers are to having a guy spend his whole career with the team is Rusty Greer, who still won't retire in hopes of returning in '05 as a DH.

fisher
11-03-2003, 10:12 PM
astros trading wagner for duckworth and 2 minor leaguers to be named later what are they thinking? it would be all right if they were sure that pettite would come to houston but then agian they do have dotel at closer but he is nothing compared to wagner he might have gave up a few leads in the clinch but he also came through alot to