PDA

View Full Version : UT backup QB Kinne to transfer

Txbroadcaster
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Texas redshirt freshman QB G.J. Kinne has elected to transfer, he confirmed Friday. Kinne will depart the Longhorns program after one season, but has not yet determined where he will transfer.

"I chose the best school at what was the end of a very successful, but difficult high school career," Kinne said. "I have definitely become a better quarterback with the help of one of the most knowledgeable offensive coaches in college football, Greg Davis. However, the quarterback position is unique in terms of playing time, and I have to find a program that best fits my skills.

"Quarterbacks transfer in college football. That's life for this position.
I've made great memories, great friends and have been blessed with experiences most can only watch. So the answer is, 'No, I have no regrets.'

"I'm looking forward to what the future holds for me. I wish nothing but great things for The University of Texas. I appreciate all that Coach Brown and The University have done for me."

Kinne, a graduate of Gilmer High School in Gilmer, Texas, was a valuable member of the Longhorns' scout team offense during his redshirt season in 2007. He was a two-time 3A Offensive Player of the Year at Gilmer and finished his prep career ranked second in Texas high school history in passing yards (11,695) and in TD passes (130).

"G.J. is a great young man and has added a lot to our program in his time at Texas," Brown said. "Even though we hate to see him go, we understand he wants to play. We wish him lots of luck and will continue to follow his progress."

Kinne originally committed to Baylor befor changing his mind and signing with Texas.

Adidas410s
04-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Here he comes Fresno St.

waterboy
04-04-2008, 04:53 PM
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. If you get any updates let us know. Did he give any indication as to where he might end up? I know I'll be following him to see if he gets his chance to make it at the next level. I'm pretty sure, if given the opportunity, he'll make someone a good quarterback.

nobogey72
04-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I know that I am probably going to regret asking this. And, this is a question I'm asking because I really don't know. I'm not asking to be a smartass or to stir the pot..... What is the general perception of Gilmer people and others of the reason he left Canton and moved to Gilmer. I know the facts, but ??????

trojan37
04-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Texas Football seems to believe he might go to Lousiana where a teammate of his is playing. I think it's Lousiana.:thinking:

pirate4state
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Texas Football seems to believe he might go to Lousiana where a teammate of his is playing. I think it's Lousiana.:thinking: You mean where Houston is gonna go play?

Txbroadcaster
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. If you get any updates let us know. Did he give any indication as to where he might end up? I know I'll be following him to see if he gets his chance to make it at the next level. I'm pretty sure, if given the opportunity, he'll make someone a good quarterback.

he is a good QB, but I have always thought he would make a top notch Safety..he was supposed to play just FS his Freshman year at Canton, but was the better QB and got pushed into that a year early

sahen
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Texas Football seems to believe he might go to Lousiana where a teammate of his is playing. I think it's Lousiana.:thinking:

Rumor is La. Tech from what I have heard, but by no means do I have good sources....Thats just where his WR buddy is going so people are assuming he will go play with him there, who knows...

waterboy
04-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I know that I am probably going to regret asking this. And, this is a question I'm asking because I really don't know. I'm not asking to be a smartass or to stir the pot..... What is the general perception of Gilmer people and others of the reason he left Canton and moved to Gilmer. I know the facts, but ??????
Funny you should ask:mad: Let me first ask you this question: would you want your child, whose father was shot at a said school, and whose life has been threatened at said school, to stay and take that risk? Personally, I think Gilmer would've been better without him. Not that he wasn't a great player, but he brought alot of negative publicity with him. G.J. is a good kid, very nice young man. It just so happens that G.J.'s mother has a home healthcare business and works out of her home in Gilmer. With her business area being a triangle of the towns of Mt. Pleasant (30 miles north of Gilmer), Longview (15 miles southeast of Gilmer), and Tyler (35 miles southwest of Gilmer), it stands to reason that Gilmer would be the place he would end up. I know it sounds convenient, and from the outside looking in, I would think the same, but in reality, I can see why he ended up in Gilmer. The UIL thought it was legit, too, and knowing what I know, I can see why they would think so.

zebrablue2
04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Wish him all the best at whatever school he chooses...

g$$
04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Wish the kid well. He should never have decommitted & gone to Texas. Texas was desperate after the Florida qb switched to the Gators (Brantley). GJ ends up losing a redshirt year + now a transfer year (unless he doesn't go D1-A). He'll end up with only 3 years of eligibility once the dust settles. 5 to play 4, w/ 2 years gone.

I'm still not convinced John Chiles is a qb. Tremendous athlete but not a passer (anyone watch Spring Game?). Would make a great WR. Garrett Gilbert is the qb of the future anyway. Horn fans better hope Colt stays healthy - Harris may end up being back-up by this Fall.

Txbroadcaster
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wish the kid well. He should never have decommitted & gone to Texas. Texas was desperate after the Florida qb switched to the Gators (Brantley). GJ ends up losing a redshirt year + now a transfer year (unless he doesn't go D1-A). He'll end up with only 3 years of eligibility once the dust settles. 5 to play 4, w/ 2 years gone.

I'm still not convinced John Chiles is a qb. Tremendous athlete but not a passer (anyone watch Spring Game?). Would make a great WR. Garrett Gilbert is the qb of the future anyway. Horn fans better hope Colt stays healthy - Harris may end up being back-up by this Fall.

Every time I see Chiles run I think of the Ramonce Taylor/Reggie Bush position for this kid..Especially with the lack IMO of true homerun speed at the skill position for Texas

g$$
04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Every time I see Chiles run I think of the Ramonce Taylor/Reggie Bush position for this kid..Especially with the lack IMO of true homerun speed at the skill position for Texas

Agree, get him the ball in space & let him go. Not a qb. Let him run it, catch it, return it, whatever. He's got lots of ability. You create ways to get a kid like that the ball. Hybrid guy & talented, but not a qb IMO.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Wish him all the best at whatever school he chooses...

I would say Texas ATM.

PHS Wildcats
04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agree, get him the ball in space & let him go. Not a qb. Let him run it, catch it, return it, whatever. He's got lots of ability. You create ways to get a kid like that the ball. Hybrid guy & talented, but not a qb IMO.

My thoughts exactly

piratebg
04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I very much agree. Chiles is not a QB. He is more suited for WR, IMO.

g$$
04-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
I would say Texas ATM.

Not gonna happen:

1. Big 12 rule for transfers within conference = no go
2. A&M has McGee (Sr.), Johnson/Tannehill/Dorman/& will sign a hs kid next Feb.

Best of luck to him but it won't be in Big 12.

Txbroadcaster
04-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Not gonna happen:

1. Big 12 rule for transfers within conference = no go
2. A&M has McGee (Sr.), Johnson/Tannehill/Dorman/& will sign a hs kid next Feb.

Best of luck to him but it won't be in Big 12.

What rule are u talking about? Players can transfer inside Big 12 if coach gives ok and Brown just said other day he would not stop a player from transferring inside the Big 12

Emerson1
04-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I very much agree. Chiles is not a QB. He is more suited for WR, IMO.
He looked pretty good in the spring game.

piratebg
04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to watch the 1hr that they showed on FSN. I only remember what he did last year. He's got some good moves and some speed, but he just couldn't throw. He is a great athlete nonetheless.

g$$
04-05-2008, 03:24 AM

Running yes, passing no. They simplified the offense big-time for him too (zone read almost exclusively). He is not a premier qb - he is a premier athlete. Some of Chiles' passes were awful in the Spring Game. VY improved as a passer (but is struggling in the NFL as a passer), while Chiles was never a passing threat even in hs. Gilbert is the Texas qb of the future anyway. My bet is they find a package to use him but that he will never be an every down qb. He is electric in the open field, no doubt. RB/WR combo hybrid deal & get him the ball in space.

TXB: please find the last time a Big 12 football player transferred within the conference? My nephew just left Texas baseball for Oregon (shoulder surgery, fresh start) & Texas did not allow him to go to ANY Big 12 school (+ others). Rules differ within individual sports, but it rarely if ever happens. Baseball has to do with getting a full release from previous school. Football to my understanding has a rule, unwritten or otherwise. I would be shocked to see Kinne end up at a Big 12 school.

nobogey72
04-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Funny you should ask:mad: Let me first ask you this question: would you want your child, whose father was shot at a said school, and whose life has been threatened at said school, to stay and take that risk? Personally, I think Gilmer would've been better without him. Not that he wasn't a great player, but he brought alot of negative publicity with him. G.J. is a good kid, very nice young man. It just so happens that G.J.'s mother has a home healthcare business and works out of her home in Gilmer. With her business area being a triangle of the towns of Mt. Pleasant (30 miles north of Gilmer), Longview (15 miles southeast of Gilmer), and Tyler (35 miles southwest of Gilmer), it stands to reason that Gilmer would be the place he would end up. I know it sounds convenient, and from the outside looking in, I would think the same, but in reality, I can see why he ended up in Gilmer. The UIL thought it was legit, too, and knowing what I know, I can see why they would think so.

Thanks, that's why I asked. :)

JasperDog94
04-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Agree, get him the ball in space & let him go. Not a qb. Let him run it, catch it, return it, whatever. He's got lots of ability. You create ways to get a kid like that the ball. Hybrid guy & talented, but not a qb IMO. Same stuff was said about Vince young. I didn't see the spring game so I don't know how he looked, but comments like these are very familiar to Texas fans.

DU_stud04
04-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Same stuff was said about Vince young. I didn't see the spring game so I don't know how he looked, but comments like these are very familiar to Texas fans. exactly what i was thinking.

Old Tiger
04-05-2008, 02:34 PM
He looked pretty good in the spring game. 1 fo 6 passing is good?

Chiles sucks at passing plain and simple. He should work out at other positions and be used situationally like Ramonce was.

Harris should be the legit #2 at the QB position.

coachc45
04-05-2008, 03:59 PM

If I remember correctly and I'm pretty sure I do..... Before moving to gilmer they didn't have this home health care business. GJ's mom had been living in Sunnyvale in the home they had there. When Gary Joe got shot his mom and step-dad rented a house in Canton. GJ did not want to have to drive back and forth from Lindale where his dad lived and Canton everyday so his mom kept the house. They spent the weekdays in canton and at least some weekends in Mesquite.

When Gary Joe left Canton for Baylor, they wanted the OC to get the job and threatened to leave if he didn't get it. They then decided to move to Gilmer. The business didn't come about until after the move and was not a factor in the move. Heck, they could go anywhere they wanted and Gilmer was the logical choice if you wanted to win.

The UIL passed off on it...... and I am sure there were legit reasons for them doing so. But the fact of the matter was, how could they stop it. GJ was the son of the coach who got shot and if he wanted to move anywhere in the state he would've been cleared. If not the Bad publicity alone would've been outrageous!

You are right about GJ! He is a great kid! I thoroughly enjoyed coaching him and I truly love the boy and his dad.

g$$
04-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Same stuff was said about Vince young. I didn't see the spring game so I don't know how he looked, but comments like these are very familiar to Texas fans.

John Chiles is a great athlete. The comparisons to VY end there. VY was a special player who willed his teams to win, & still does even given his passing deficiencies. VY improved in college & must do so in the NFL to take that next step. I saw the Spring Game on tv & Chiles struggled as a qb. He looked great when he ran the ball for the most part. Some of his passes were dreadful. He is not going to beat out McCoy but I think they will find ways to use him. And, looking ahead, Garrett Gilbert is the heir apparent after McCoy graduates.

I am not ragging on Chiles, just stating the obvious. There were major questions about him as a qb going back to hs (including by me on here), & nothing has changed. Would you rather he hold clipboard & signal in plays, or be used in other ways? Hard to waste that talent standing on sidelines. He is a one-dimenional running qb as it stands - & that spells position change or special packages to use him.

g$$
04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
What rule are u talking about? Players can transfer inside Big 12 if coach gives ok and Brown just said other day he would not stop a player from transferring inside the Big 12

Please find the quotes you referenced from Mack Brown saying he would allow Kinne to transfer within the Big 12. I went to UT's site & read what was said, & I found nothing of the sort. Mack wished him well & said the normal parting lines ("wish him well, good kid, best of luck" etc.).

Again, I would be shocked if Kinne ends up at a Big 12 school. That is highly frowned upon & I thought there was a rule. I will see if I can dig more up on this.

coachc45
04-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Please find the quotes you referenced from Mack Brown saying he would allow Kinne to transfer within the Big 12. I went to UT's site & read what was said, & I found nothing of the sort. Mack wished him well & said the normal parting lines ("wish him well, good kid, best of luck" etc.).

Again, I would be shocked if Kinne ends up at a Big 12 school. That is highly frowned upon & I thought there was a rule. I will see if I can dig more up on this.

Not sure if it is a rule...but I do doubt he'll end up at a Big 12 school.

Txbroadcaster
04-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by g$$

UT Photo

Have any quarterbacks discussed the possibility of transferring? Not according to Mack Brown.
TRANSFER TALK SHOT DOWN

The rumors have been flying around all week about possible transfers from either G.J. Kinne or Sherrod Harris, but Brown shot down all the speculation on Wednesday.

"There have been rumors for 100 years about players transferring, and it's always the third or fourth quarterback. That's 100 percent from my 33 years. Neither one of them have said anything about it or discussed it. In fact, they took all the snaps in the scrimmage today and did really well," Brown said. "One thing you know is if anybody ever wants to transfer, and they have not come to us and suggested that, we'll be the first to help them and get them a release anywhere they want to."

One common thought for every college football program is that coaches will not grant a release for a player that wants to go to a team that's on the schedule as a future opponent. Brown said that's not the case with the Longhorns.

"We've never asked a player to stay. We'll always give them a release to play against us, anywhere they want. But we want happy players," he said.

g$$
04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
UT Photo

Have any quarterbacks discussed the possibility of transferring? Not according to Mack Brown.
TRANSFER TALK SHOT DOWN

The rumors have been flying around all week about possible transfers from either G.J. Kinne or Sherrod Harris, but Brown shot down all the speculation on Wednesday.

"There have been rumors for 100 years about players transferring, and it's always the third or fourth quarterback. That's 100 percent from my 33 years. Neither one of them have said anything about it or discussed it. In fact, they took all the snaps in the scrimmage today and did really well," Brown said. "One thing you know is if anybody ever wants to transfer, and they have not come to us and suggested that, we'll be the first to help them and get them a release anywhere they want to."

One common thought for every college football program is that coaches will not grant a release for a player that wants to go to a team that's on the schedule as a future opponent. Brown said that's not the case with the Longhorns.

"We've never asked a player to stay. We'll always give them a release to play against us, anywhere they want. But we want happy players," he said.

Thanks.

I still don't think we will see Kinne or any other Big 12 players transferring within the conference. It just does not happen, by rule or otherwise.

And, "future opponent" does not have to equal other Big 12 teams. Still looking for specific rule, if there is one.

Necks_Fan
04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
John Chiles is a great athlete. The comparisons to VY end there. VY was a special player who willed his teams to win, & still does even given his passing deficiencies. VY improved in college & must do so in the NFL to take that next step. I saw the Spring Game on tv & Chiles struggled as a qb. He looked great when he ran the ball for the most part. Some of his passes were dreadful. He is not going to beat out McCoy but I think they will find ways to use him. And, looking ahead, Garrett Gilbert is the heir apparent after McCoy graduates.

I am not ragging on Chiles, just stating the obvious. There were major questions about him as a qb going back to hs (including by me on here), & nothing has changed. Would you rather he hold clipboard & signal in plays, or be used in other ways? Hard to waste that talent standing on sidelines. He is a one-dimenional running qb as it stands - & that spells position change or special packages to use him. I don't understand why they can't use Chiles in a "Ramonce Taylor-esque" kind of role. Great talent, not a qb.

Let him catch and run and then do his thing. What's the big deal?

Maybe Greg Davis is that dumb?

g$$
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I don't understand why they can't use Chiles in a "Ramonce Taylor-esque" kind of role. Great talent, not a qb.

Maybe Greg Davis is that dumb?

I agree, but as an Aggie, I hope he's holding a clipboard! He is electric in the open field. Not a qb but one heck of an athlete.

Old Tiger
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I don't understand why they can't use Chiles in a "Ramonce Taylor-esque" kind of role. Great talent, not a qb.

Maybe Greg Davis is that dumb? I agree and yes. lol