PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Service or Not???

Buffgal
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I would like advice on using these recruiting services? Has anyone out in the downlow had any success using them or success not using them? What is your opinion on whether or not to hire a service?

Would like advice from your better than average athletes and parents but not the ones on the D1 radar. If you have the stats for the D1 recruiting people, then you obviously don't need any help with recruiting.

Have had several people tell me completely different things and I am receiving some calls from some of these recruiting services. Legit or not?

I_DONT_CARE
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL RECRUITING SERVICES OR ANOTHER SPORT?

NastySlot
04-04-2008, 12:24 PM
i sent you a pm

buff4ever
04-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal
I would like advice on using these recruiting services? Has anyone out in the downlow had any success using them or success not using them? What is your opinion on whether or not to hire a service?

Would like advice from your better than average athletes and parents but not the ones on the D1 radar. If you have the stats for the D1 recruiting people, then you obviously don't need any help with recruiting.

Have had several people tell me completely different things and I am receiving some calls from some of these recruiting services. Legit or not?

Your kidding me right?:D

Old Tiger
04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Depends on if you trust your HC/AD enough.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Depends on if you trust your HC/AD enough.
HC/AD's don't have the time, nor do they get paid, to "get" a player recruited. I'm sure the majority will help to a degree in getting info back to colleges that request it, but the time required to get the necessary things to college coaches for all players interested would mean a full time coach, at least.

NastySlot
04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
HC/AD's don't have the time, nor do they get paid, to "get" a player recruited. I'm sure the majority will help to a degree in getting info back to colleges that request it, but the time required to get the necessary things to college coaches for all players interested would mean a full time coach, at least.

our AD does a great job of getting the info. out for the football players....also the position coaches do a lot.........esp....highlight dvd's.....other sports coaches do things for their players....i have for those that have asked.......those services can often be scams...i don't mind getting of by butt to help a kid.....those services will find you a school....but it will prob. be DIII, NAIA or JUCO which isn't bad but it's often out of state.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
our AD does a great job of getting the info. out for the football players....also the position coaches do a lot.........esp....highlight dvd's.....other sports coaches do things for their players....i have for those that have asked.......those services can often be scams...i don't mind getting of by butt to help a kid.....those services will find you a school....but it will prob. be DIII, NAIA or JUCO which isn't bad but it's often out of state.
Oh, I totally agree! Ours will get questionnaires back to colleges, put together highlight dvd, etc. And have been a great help in answering questions and giving their honest opinions.

(Go Blue is disgruntled....my comment was more toward that. ;) )

Personally, from the advice I've received from our coaching staff and others "in the biz", my money is worth more than my time when it comes to paying a service or doing some legwork.

Buffgal
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Your kidding me right?:D

Enlighten me as to what I may be kidding about?

Old Tiger
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Nope....just truth.

Buffgal
04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, I totally agree! Ours will get questionnaires back to colleges, put together highlight dvd, etc. And have been a great help in answering questions and giving their honest opinions.

Personally, from the advice I've received from our coaching staff and others "in the biz", my money is worth more than my time when it comes to paying a service or doing some legwork.

Yes, our coaches are helpful too and put in alot of time and effort which, I know is not part of their job description. Everything that they do, on and off the field, is much appreciated by me. As far as the services, Others advice and yours are falling into the same frame of mind. Save your money, do it yourself. Just trying to find out everything that I might need to know before I make a decision or don't make a decision that I might be sorry for later.
Thanks for your input on the subject and sorry Go Blue is disgruntled about his AD/HC???

3afan
04-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Most, if not all, recruiting "services" are in it to make $money$ , thats it .....

Sweetwater Red
04-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Off topic....

What song did ya'll decide on for your son's DVD?

UPanIN
04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Buffgal check "pm"

buff4ever
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
It's funny you people just throw this around like it is nothing. It is a good think this isn't like recommending someone to someone else professionally or anything and you could be held accountable when they suck.

This requester may have a son or daughter who can't catch a fooball unless it lodged in his helmet, set a volleyball unless it was off of her head, dribble a basketball off anything but his/her own foot, or swing a stick at anything other than the air.

NOW, I am not saying this is the case with buffgal, just find it funny how you all start throwing out your secrets assuming that this is a worthy situation. You may be wasting some recruiters time, do you not care about that person or what he or she has maybe done for you. Once again, buffgal may have a legite reason for this info, but none of you know that.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Off topic....

What song did ya'll decide on for your son's DVD?
We went with no music for the "official" copy that we've mailed. The youtube version (mom thing :D ) has "Beat to Death Like a Dog" by Rhino Bucket.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
It's funny you people just throw this around like it is nothing. It is a good think this isn't like recommending someone to someone else professionally or anything and you could be held accountable when they suck.

This requester may have a son or daughter who can't catch a fooball unless it lodged in his helmet, set a volleyball unless it was off of her head, dribble a basketball off anything but his/her own foot, or swing a stick at anything other than the air.

NOW, I am not saying this is the case with buffgal, just find it funny how you all start throwing out your secrets assuming that this is a worthy situation. You may be wasting some recruiters time, do you not care about that person or what he or she has maybe done for you. Once again, buffgal may have a legite reason for this info, but none of you know that.
:confused: :confused: Has anyone recommended anyone that may suck or not suck?

Txbroadcaster
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM

I am sorry, I am not understanding your point
Whether the kid is good or not, he/sher and their parents have a right to know of the service and tips.

buff4ever
04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I guess all that I am laughing at more than anything is that the recruiting people that I know get a little disgruntled when they have to spend valuable time on someone that has no business entertaining the thought of a recruiter. They will usually ask the person how did you find out about us, and the people say from a friend or word of mouth, JUST LIKE THIS.

I guess it is a part of thier business they have to deal with, but I just found it funny. No one knows buffgal from Tom.

I didn't mean to be a grouch if that is how it came off, I JUST FOUND IT FUNNY. Everyone is so proud of what they know or who they know and spurt off the info to anyone on the web, not thinking this could be an absolute waste of some professionals time.

I AM SORRY!:)

Txbroadcaster
04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess all that I am laughing at more than anything is that the recruiting people that I know get a little disgruntled when they have to spend valuable time on someone that has no business entertaining the thought of a recruiter. They will usually ask the person how did you find out about us, and the people say from a friend or word of mouth, JUST LIKE THIS.

I guess it is a part of thier business they have to deal with, but I just found it funny. No one knows buffgal from Tom.

I didn't mean to be a grouch if that is how it came off, I JUST FOUND IT FUNNY. Everyone is so proud of what they know or who they know and spurt off the info to anyone on the web, not thinking this could be an absolute waste of some professionals time.

If a recruiter says it is a waste of time for them to scout kids, then IMO they are in the wrong field..I have heard so many stories from recruiters themself saying they went to scout one kid who turned out to be crap, but on the tape or at the game saw another kid that sparked their interest

Buffgal
04-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Buff4ever, you misunderstood the question.

I'm only asking for advice on hiring a recruiting service or not, whether they are worth the $$ or wasting your $$$.

NOT if the player is worthy of being recruited.

You are right on about not recommending people unless you know them, it just doesn't apply to my initial question.

buff4ever
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
In that case, it depends.

If you think that your son/daughter is head and shoulders better than 95% of the kids in your district, or better than 98% of the kids in your region go for it. These agencies don't put in the time you would think you are paying for unless it is a legit option for the colleges out there. They have a reputation to keep or their service is not good to the colleges anymore.

I have know a lot of college athletes that were not the D1 first year starter but still a contributor, that got little help from recruiters. Just an opinion here.

Sweetwater Red
04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm a little confused as to why anyone would need a recruiting
service. Here locally recruiters from all different size schools
come looking for the kids not the other way around.:confused:

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Everyone is so proud of what they know or who they know and spurt off the info to anyone on the web, not thinking this could be an absolute waste of some professionals time.

I don't know anybody to recommend so no pride here. :p

Any information I've received and knowledge I have on the recruiting process, I've gotten through research & asking questions. From the recruiting services that I've looked at, they are more than willing to take the money for the "wasted time".

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I'm a little confused as to why anyone would need a recruiting
service. Here locally recruiters from all different size schools
come looking for the kids not the other way around.:confused:
That's not the case at all schools. :)

g$$
04-04-2008, 05:53 PM
**Make darn sure the kid is worthy from outside sources, not just a biased opinion. Not saying that is the case, but only about 1% of hs athletes get a scholarship to a major college. Lower levels (juco, D2, D3, NAIA) may be options to consider. Many of those are non-scholarship & you better love the sport. Not glamorous or high-profile like D1-A, & probably out-of-state.

If you have a contact, use it. EX: friend of family is a college coach, etc. Tight-knit circle & recommendations carry lots of weight. They don't like or trust outsiders usually.

1. Get the kid exposure. Go to all camps/combines/clinics/tryouts you can find. Exposure is the key. Getting on "recruiting lists" is huge & opens doors.

2. In sports other than football, play select or club ball. Make sure it is a legit team (like Premier Baseball, etc.). Select is a word thrown around loosely these days. Most just want you to pay to play.

3. Get all the help you can from your HC/AD & other coaches. College coaches trust them over others in most cases.

4. Know that many of these services are scams looking for your $$. Some are legit & helpful. Ask around & get lots of info.

5. I have helped kids in the past ONLY if they were legit prospects. Information can be accessed thru the web on most schools. Highlight tapes/dvds, emails, phone calls, etc. Know from the start it is a long-shot.

I played juco baseball back before select ball was created (early 1990s). All we had was summer All-Stars & exposure was limited, esp. coming from a 3A school. We played Austin Slam in All-Stars before they were forced to branch off. I had to attend try-outs & made the team. Now, the playing field has leveled for all classes. Get out, play, & be seen. That is the key, & if the kid is good enough, he/she will get noticed.

Best of luck...

Additup
04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Most, if not all, recruiting "services" are in it to make $money$ , thats it .....

Most college coaches hit delete when they get something from one of these services...

As for your coach/AD, he isn't going to be able to convince a college coach you're worth a scholarship. As a general rule, college coaches want height, weight and 40. Anything else is just bonus.

Good recruiters ask coaches more about opposing players ("How good is the kid over at _______. ") Then they'll head to that school, and ask if they've missed out on anybody at the first school.

If you think you're good enough, walk on. Don't ask a college coach to risk a 5 year scholarship on your ability, if you're not willing to risk paying for 1 semester.

etbu
04-05-2008, 09:54 AM
We are using Randy Rogers for my son and we have been very happy. He has a website and some good tips that can help your son. Our Coaching staff made twenty dvd's and sent them to our top twenty choices. Your HC is your best avenue of help bc they have scouts that stop by each spring. There are all kind of tips that Randy gives that are very helpful. Good luck to your son and hope you guys the best.

Sweetwater Red
04-05-2008, 12:53 PM
That's not the case at all schools. :)

I want to clarify my post so that nobody thinks I was talking
about Sweetwater specifically. I was talking about the Big
Country in general.

The last thing I want ya'll to think is that I'm one of those
arrogant homer fans.:thinking: :D :devil:

g$$
04-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by etbu
We are using Randy Rogers for my son and we have been very happy. He has a website and some good tips that can help your son. Our Coaching staff made twenty dvd's and sent them to our top twenty choices. Your HC is your best avenue of help bc they have scouts that stop by each spring. There are all kind of tips that Randy gives that are very helpful. Good luck to your son and hope you guys the best.

Randy Rogers (not the Texas country guy) was a former coach & recruiting coordinator at Texas & Illinois, among others (had a son who played too). His service is a good one. He gives seminars to college coaches each year on the recruiting process, etc. He is DCTF's main guy too. What etbu says above is very accurate. Your HC/AD plus other coaches helping you is the way to go. College coaches make the rounds each Spring compiling their lists & looking for prospects.

Best of luck...the sooner the better for exposure.