PDA

View Full Version : It looks like Texas is playing Wyoming in 2009 in Wyoming!

Phil C
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
This is due to the Arkansas backout to play the Aggies. This is in football Wyoming is tough. We have to remember UT had to struggle to beat them in 1978 17 to 3 and that game was in Austin. This one is in Wyoming. That increases the risk.

Phil C
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Another risk is that I don't think UT has ever played a football game in the state of Wyoming.

Panther One
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
The Ags played up there in 2001. Thin air...kind of like playing at Colorado.

wildstangs
04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Great - Now UT can dip into the great high school recruiting in Wyoming.

Phil C
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Did you know that the Henry Fonda western "The Ox Bow Incident" takes place in Wyoming in 1885?

ronwx5x
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Did you know that the Henry Fonda western "The Ox Bow Incident" takes place in Wyoming in 1885?

Wait til IDC gets hold of this information!:cool: :cool:

Phil C
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Also the great western book (that has been made into several movies and even inspired a tv series) called "The Virginian" by Owen Wister takes place in Wyoming.

There was also a Phillip Carey western movie made in the 1950s called "Wyoming Renegades" that is sometimes shown on the Encore Western Channel.

Phil C
04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Wait til IDC gets hold of this information!:cool: :cool:

Hey ron the old Clint Eastwood movie Thunderbold and Lightfoot doesn't take place in Wyoming but it does take place in Montana.

ronwx5x
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey ron the old Clint Eastwood movie Thunderbold and Lightfoot doesn't take place in Wyoming but it does take place in Montana.

That's close, right? I went to Cheyenne once when I lived in Denver. Sure would hate to live there. I don't mean to insult Wyoming, but there's a reason more people live in Denver than in all of Wyoming.

JasperDog94
04-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Does this mean that Texas or Texas A&M will not play Arkansas? I'm confused...:confused: :confused:

waterboy
04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
This is due to the Arkansas backout to play the Aggies. This is in football Wyoming is tough. We have to remember UT had to struggle to beat them in 1978 17 to 3 and that game was in Austin. This one is in Wyoming. That increases the risk.
Yeah. That's a little confusing. How does Arkansas backing out of playing the Aggies have anything to do with UT playing Wyoming?:confused:

wildstangs
04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Does this mean that Texas or Texas A&M will not play Arkansas? I'm confused...:confused: :confused:

Texas will not play Arkie. Arkie said with the addition of A&M, their schedule was too tough. Wonder why they asked to be let out of the Texas game, rather than the Aggy game? :confused: ;)

Panther One
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Texas will not play Arkie. Arkie said with the addition of A&M, their schedule was too tough. Wonder why they asked to be let out of the Texas game, rather than the Aggy game? :confused: ;)
Let's see...could it be because they are guaranteed $5mil for the game with the Ags?

Adidas410s
04-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Let's see...could it be because they are guaranteed $5mil for the game with the Ags? It's not guaranteed. That's what they're expecting to make on the game. There's a big misconception that that game (along with Tech/O$U) is guaranteed. Neither game is guaranteed anything.

But yet...the possibility of a nice payday plus a win more often than not sounds better than a likely loss and a much smaller payday.

JasperDog94
04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm glad we're not playing them. Without McFadden, Arkansas isn't even a blip on the map of college football the past decade. Why give them exposure to recruit better in Texas?

PHS Wildcats
04-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I Jerry got this game together and is having it play at "Jerry's World" Plus Arkie has alot of Alumni in the DFW area.

g$$
04-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Texas is playing ARK next year (2008), & the 2009 Texas/ARK game is supposed to be rescheduled in the future. A&M/ARK series starts in 2009. ARK did not want both on their schedule in 2009 plus the rugged SEC too.

"Texas' return visit of a home and home series with Arkansas in 2009 has officially been postponed, Longhorn Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds confirmed on Friday. The date of the future game to be played in Fayetteville has yet to be determined, but will come sometime after the 2013 season, Dodds added. Texas and Arkansas will meet in the first game of the two-game series this year on Sept. 13 in Austin." --UT release

A&M/ARK is now going to be an annual deal at the new stadium for the Cowboys. And Adidas, there are some guarantees in that deal too. $5 million has been thrown out there per team, & Bill Byrne addressed it in his weekly letter. The $$ was definitely a factor. We'll just have to see how much.

ARK beat LSU this year (year before too?), & A&M has beaten the vaunted Horns the past 2 years. ARK won in Austin recently too (Texas won at ARK). A&M will be much better very soon under Sherman, mark that down.

ARK will always have a recruiting presence here. It's called geography plus the SEC's reputation.

JasperDog94
04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by g$$
ARK will always have a recruiting presence here. It's called geography plus the SEC's reputation. But it's not near what it used to be when they played Texas and Texas A&M every year.

g$$
04-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
But it's not near what it used to be when they played Texas and Texas A&M every year.

Sure, but they also used to play SMU/TCU/Baylor/Rice/UH too in the SWC days. They raided Texas for athletes, esp. in football, basketball & track (baseball too, which they still do). But they still get a bunch of Texans each year. If they get it turned around, then they will get more. It's a good school in a beautiful setting in the Ozarks & the SEC carries weight too. Women there are unbelievable too.

Playing A&M in Dallas each year will help. It gives them built-in exposure against one of the flagship TX schools each year, plus a nice paycheck. Don't count ARK out if they can get it turned around - look what Frank Broyles did there. And no, I'm not comparing Bobby Petrino to Coach Broyles!

JasperDog94
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Sure, but they also used to play SMU/TCU/Baylor/Rice/UH too in the SWC days. They raided Texas for athletes, esp. in football, basketball & track (baseball too, which they still do). But they still get a bunch of Texans each year. If they get it turned around, then they will get more. It's a good school in a beautiful setting in the Ozarks & the SEC carries weight too. Women there are unbelievable too.

Playing A&M in Dallas each year will help. It gives them built-in exposure against one of the flagship TX schools each year, plus a nice paycheck. Don't count ARK out if they can get it turned around - look what Frank Broyles did there. And no, I'm not comparing Bobby Petrino to Coach Broyles! Which is exactly why I'm not in favor of them playing Texas or Texas A&M. But then again nobody asked my opinion.:D