PDA

View Full Version : First grader labeled a "Sexual Harraser"

Ranger Mom
04-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Good Morning America Link (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AsSeenOnGMA/story?id=4585388)

First-Grader Labeled a Sexual Harasser
Has Zero-Tolerance for Sexual Harassment in Schools Gone Too Far?

In schools across the country, kids as young as three and four are now facing charges of sexual harassment that will stay with them permanently on their school records.
As schools embrace zero tolerance policies, young kids face adult charges.

These so-called "zero-tolerance" polices, designed to protect students from weapons and drugs or sexual violence, are often being taken quite literally.

Randy Castro, 7, who likes recess and soccer, now has an alarming red flag in his school records. It started on the playground with a first grade classmate.

"I saw another kid like hitting her butt so I did it," Castro said.

His Potomac View Elementary School then called the police and wrote him up as a sexual harasser. Woodbridge, Md. school officials described the incident as "Sexual Touching Against Student, Offensive," in their report.

"When I hear 'mommy they called police because I am a bad boy,' that is the message that you're giving to a 6-year-old?" said Randy's mother, Claudia Castro.

Ted Feinberg, assistant director of the National Association of School Psychologists, was stunned by the school's reaction and says 6-year-olds have no idea what those behaviors mean.

"I believe they do not have the capacity for awareness of sexual motivation … it seems like a gross mislabeling of the behavior and an overreaction," said Feinberg.

The school declined ABC News' request for an interview, but said in a statement that a "misunderstanding" led the principal to call the police, and that "the police never spoke to the child and no disciplinary action was taken by the administration."

According to the state's Department of Education, 166 elementary students were suspended in Maryland last year for sexual harassment, including three preschoolers, 16 kindergartners and 22 first-graders.

In Virginia, 255 elementary students were suspended for offensive sexual touching last year as well.

Two years ago in Texas, a four-year-old was punished for sexual harassment after a teacher's aide accused the pre-schooler of pressing his face into her breasts during a hug.

While a school's priority is to keep kids safe, critics argue the "zero-tolerance" policies can mean zero discretion.

"Overwhelming research suggests that "zero-tolerance" is not effective and often engenders more bad behavior," said Feinberg.

Randy's school has told ABC News that this won't be going on his permanent record, but for Randy's mom, his childhood innocence has been changed forever.

"They are treating him like a teenager or a grown-up … He is not. He is just a child," said Claudia Castro.

Child sex offenders do exist. A Justice Department survey says that kids aged 7-11 were responsible for almost 4 percent of all the sexual assaults committed in the U.S. The question is whether some of the kids being slapped with these sexual harassment labels deserve them.

mustang04
04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
i'm getting sick of this country...pathetic things like this get me so FREAKIN PI$$3D OFF!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

what they just did can seriously be the changing factor of this kid's life....i feel so sorry for him:(

eppy 12
04-04-2008, 09:58 AM
probably should worry a bit more about the teachers but that's just me.....:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Give me a break! Yes, he shouldn't have hit the girl on the butt. I'm wondering what happened to the kid he watched do it first. :thinking:

When my kids were in daycare before they started school, one of them had to go to time out because he kissed a little girl on the cheek at the lunch table. :rolleyes: I'm not sure he had even turned 5 yet.

Ranger Mom
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't get it! This 7 y/o pops a girl on the butt and he's a sexual harraser, and my daughter (who was a freshman at the time) had one of the football players "plop his junk out" right in front of her....and when I told the principal and the vice principal (granted, it was WAY after the fact)....all I was told was, "Maybe she's not cut out to be a trainer!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

pirate4state
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't get it! This 7 y/o pops a girl on the butt and he's a sexual harraser, and my daughter (who was a freshman at the time) had one of the football players "plop his junk out" right in front of her....and when I told the principal and the vice principal (granted, it was WAY after the fact)....all I was told was, "Maybe she's not cut out to be a trainer!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

oh deer......

mustang04
04-04-2008, 10:41 AM

what was his name...i'll have you know i've cut well over 200 calves..... :)

Ranger Mom
04-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
what was his name...i'll have you know i've cut well over 200 calves..... :)

Haha....you know him!!

Ashton grew up with 4 brothers, it didn't bother her.

She is very quick witted and left him standing there pondering if the insult she threw back at him was true or not.

Something happened later in the year and it made me mad and when talking to the principals THAT came up in conversation and thats when they said it to me!!

Phil C
04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Haha....you know him!!

She is very quick witted and left him standing there pondering if the insult she threw back at him was true or not.

Something happened later in the year and it made me mad and when talking to the principals THAT came up in conversation and thats when they said it to me!!

:(

Phil C
04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
It wasn't sexual harrasement but in pre K my oldest son got upset with another kid who was being unking to a girl in his class. When they were in the restroom he dunked the other kids head in the comode for a few seconds and let him up and told him not to be mean to the other girl. He had to stand in the corner for a while and when he got home he was counseled. I don't think they had any trouble the rest of the year and the boys are still good friends as well as with the girl. They laugh about it now.

pancho villa
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM

I would never let my daughter be a trainer. And I am a football coach. Because of things like that.

jason
04-04-2008, 12:53 PM

nevermind, i decided not to leave my comment

ronwx5x
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Haha....you know him!!

That's terrible. She may have damaged his little "psyche" forever:devil: :devil:

Actually, RM, why did you choose not to report it earlier?

PHS Wildcats
04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
All I can say is the This Country is starting to suck real bad:mad:

piratebg
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Kind of makes me glad I went to school when I did. :D

lepfan
04-04-2008, 09:15 PM
A lot of the problem is what these kids are seeing at home...at a very young age. I am at a school now where the majority are socially and economically challenged. These little ones are seeing way too many drug deals and 'other activities' go on at home and then they bring it to school. I am floored at the knowledge some of these kids have about drugs/stealing/prison/etc. It is nothing to have 1 or 2 of my students with $50 cash on them on any given day...yet they are on free lunches...

I do know of some Kinder and 1st graders who have pulled some "stunts" and they know exactly what they are doing!!!

I just wrote a student up for telling another that her nipples weren't hard yet!
:eek: :eek: He got a 2 day head start on his Spring Break!!!

STANG RED
04-04-2008, 09:43 PM
These zero tolerance rules/laws really burn my butt, mainly because they are administered by people with little or no common sense whatsoever. They never take into account individual or special circumstances to a given situation, and they often treat a minor little incident by an otherwise good kid as if he/she were a major trouble maker. Ive said it before on here and I'll say it again, I have zero tolerance for these stupid zero tolerance rules and the morons that inforce them. They should grow and set and stand up for what is right and true and quit giving in to these pc pencil necked nit wits that thinks there should be a law to govern our every action!!!

mustang04
04-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by lepfan

I do know of some Kinder and 1st graders who have pulled some "stunts" and they know exactly what they are doing!!!

no they don't know EXACTLY what they are doing...just cuz they know what body parts are or what they do in certain situations...they aren't at the age yet where they fully comprehend the effect their words have on other ppl...they are just plain words or actions...its a really sad thing

Gontex
04-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
All I can say is the This Country is starting to suck real bad:mad:
Some people in this country may suck, but this country does not suck.

Necks_Fan
04-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
Some people in this country may suck, but this country does not suck. :clap: Well said my friend.

lepfan
04-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
no they don't know EXACTLY what they are doing...just cuz they know what body parts are or what they do in certain situations...they aren't at the age yet where they fully comprehend the effect their words have on other ppl...they are just plain words or actions...its a really sad thing i agree with part of this...but disagree with the other. SOME...do understand their words and actions...sad, but true. I would have agreed 100% with you before August 2007~~~after teaching in the school I am in now I have to disagree with that one little part.

Crazy thing is I would not change schools ~~~ the challenge of these kids is what keeps me going. (somedays it sends me to the liquor store) :)

Ranger Mom
04-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
That's terrible. She may have damaged his little "psyche" forever:devil: :devil:

Actually, RM, why did you choose not to report it earlier?

She didn't tell me immediately about it...and when she did, she begged me not to do/say anything about it. She knew that she would be looked upon as the "bad guy" for getting one of the football stars in trouble...but her oldest brother addressed it in his own way.

lepfan
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
...but her oldest brother addressed it in his own way. Gotta love those older brothers...my daughter can hold her on--and will in most situations...but a year or so back her brother let his presence be known!!! PLUS---2 of his friends did too...it was like she had 3 older brothers not just one. The kid got the message and was doing all he could to stay in her good graces...guess is didn't want his butt mutilated!! :) Not sure who he was more afraid of...HER or the BROTHER and his friends...