PDA

View Full Version : Marlin's Coach Malone makes a difference.

cunbed10
10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
All to often we get caught up with coaches and their decisions, well for years now coach Malone has made a difference, not just on the field, but off the field. My nephew (Peanut) aka Alexander Jake Sadler was diagnosed with Lukemia this week, he's a freshman tailback for the 9th grade team, he is in ICU in Temple's Scott & White hospital, while in one of the biggest district games yet, Coach Malone takes the whole Football, JV, Freshman and Varsity to see A.J. the staff at the hospital allows the teams to visit with A.J., sign football, posters, and just show support, after talking with My Brother-in-law, this was a huge boost for my nephew, and I know alot of folks in Marlin, disagrees with some of the decision Malone makes on the field, but this is one of many instances off the field that they may not know of, but I for one have witness a many of intances that Coach Malone, and his staff have done for the kids over the years, even if we don't win state this year "Big Dog" you're still number One to me D.Scott class of 87' My hats off to the Coaches and players for making a difference in someone's life, good luck Dogs, and keep playing hard, thanks again.

St. Ivender
10-30-2003, 10:04 AM
It always pains me when I hear people in the stands criticizing a play call by a coach (especially a successful one like Malone). If the same play were to have gone for a touchdown all would be forgotten.

Good job coach and staff and we wish a speedy recovery to your nephew.

Gobbla2001
10-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Man, that's really awesome, glad there are guys like that out there and and I hope and pray your nephew gets better...

I do suggest that the Marlin players do not dedicate their season to him, though... I think it's an awesome jesture etc... But the emotional let down if the team loses (not saying you guys will lose any of your remaining games, including playoffs) can really suck...

One of our favorite coaches in Cuero (who had played football there, graduated and there and had coached their mose of his life) was diagnosed with cancer (he was only around 40 or so) during the season in '99... We decided to dedicate the rest of the season to him and went out and won our last district game 33-13 after being underdogged... We won our first playoff game in OT and it looked like we were honoring him well...

We had his name (Strait) on our helmets and even ran out of our bust out signs with a big wood cut-out in the shape of Texas that had 'State for Strait' painted on it... At a couple of pep-rallies and before our playoff games we watched tapes that were recorded by him to the team etc... and it got VERY emotional...

In the second round we were knocked out by Burnet and we felt like crap and a lot of us cried because they felt like they had let him down...

We came back from Christmas break and he was gone...

Sad deal...

Like I said, I hope and pray he gets better and will keep his family, friends and the whole Marlin community in my thoughts and prayers...

Pudlugger
10-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Cunbed10 thanks for this wonderful post. I am so sorry about your nephew but he must know how many people are praying for his quick recovery. It is a real tribute to this boy to have so many fellow players rallying around him. Tell him to get well for me will you. At any rate, I already sent him a card. God bless him.

<small>[ October 30, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

cunbed10
10-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Pudlugger:
Cunbed10 thanks for this wonderful post. I am so sorry about your nephew but he must know how many people are praying for his quick recovery. It is a real tribute to this boy to have so many fellow players rallying around him. Tell him to get well for me will you. At any rate, I already sent him a card. God bless him.Thanks Doc, you're a class Act, and I'm still waiting to meet you and the rest of the LaGrange Family.

drthornell
10-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Coach Malone also does many other great things for students that are never mentioned by his critics. I happen to know he furnishes letter jackets for all Special Olympic students and has served as chaperone for State meet. He also personally video-tapes the Special Olympic basketball tournament for the kids. People who are quick to criticise the Big Dog need to review records of previous Marlin Coaches. To me, Malone is a class act and Marlin should be thankful to have him.

bd0707
10-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Wow! he is a standup guy

CHS_Grad '85
10-30-2003, 03:50 PM
We here in Caldwell can totally relate to a coach helping his team see the bigger picture off the field... one of our football players was diagnosed with cancer... the coach/team helped keep his spirits up while he went through treatments... the coach is a huge factor in how our kids perform on and off the field... cunbed10 it takes a lot to see this in a coach - great post... I pray that your nephew gets and stays in remission... hang tough...