PDA

View Full Version : Wow. In the Astros Game.....

Necks_Fan
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Wigginton just hit a absolute bomb into the 3rd deck or 4 level of seating in left field. Possibly one of the longest HR's I have seen anywhere. That coming after Blum hit a Hr so that was the 2nd part of a back-to-back. Astros lead 3-1 in the 2nd, Wandy is in a little trouble right now having just give up a run and they have 1st and 3rd with 1 out so...... C'mon Wandy!

zebrablue2
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
they said it was 399 ft. looked like 500. that was a blast...

Necks_Fan
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
they said it was 399 ft. looked like 500. that was a blast... Yea it was 399 ft away when It landed in the stands about 150 ft up. That ball was going atleast another hundred if the stands weren't there.

Panther One
04-02-2008, 11:00 PM
It's 336 down the line, which is where it hit the warehouse. So they're estimating that the ball would have only traveled another 63 feet, or essentially, 2.5 feet further than the pitchers mound to home plate. I think they need to work on their home run estimations. That thing probably had at least another 100ft in it.

Necks_Fan
04-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
It's 336 down the line, which is where it hit the warehouse. So they're estimating that the ball would have only traveled another 63 feet, or essentially, 2.5 feet further than the pitchers mound to home plate. I think they need to work on their home run estimations. That thing probably had at least another 100ft in it. I dont care what anyone says, that ball was going atleast 500. It was still going up when it smashed into the 3rd deck. 399 ft my a$$.

Astrosdawg07
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
In case you missed the Pads took the lead in the 8th 6-5, the Astros made 2 outs real quick then Jose Cruz Jr. got a 2 out walk Bourne followed with a single. Then Pence smoked a liner at the first baseman off his glove scoring Cruz then Berkman hit a 3 run hr to take the lead 9 -6 and Valverde closed it out!

sahen
04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
In case you missed the Pads took the lead in the 8th 6-5, the Astros made 2 outs real quick then Jose Cruz Jr. got a 2 out walk Bourne followed with a single. Then Pence smoked a liner at the first baseman off his glove scoring Cruz then Berkman hit a 3 run hr to take the lead 9 -6 and Valverde closed it out!

forgot the most important part, it was against Hoffman

Panther One
04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by sahen
forgot the most important part, it was against Hoffman
It's always nice to get the first win and get the monkey off your back. It's tough starting the season against the reigning MVP, followed by a guy who had the lowest batting average against last year for starters, then a future Hall of Famer. Tonight was a show of just what this offense can do. Four home runs, including back-to-back shots from your six and seven hole hitters. The biggest thing tonight was getting good timely hitting, unlike last night when we stranded 11. Having guys like Blum, Loretta, Erstad, and Cruz on the bench is going to be a huge plus as the season goes along.

themsu97
04-03-2008, 05:39 AM
yeah... the problem with home run distances is they measure to where it lands and that is about it...
the one Sosa hit a few years ago at Minute Made that hit the lights in left center is not the longest which is horse puckey since the ball was still on the rise... that thing was going about 600+... same as the one Wiggginton hit

zebrablue2
04-03-2008, 07:31 AM
It's always nice to get the first win and get the monkey off your back. It's tough starting the season against the reigning MVP, followed by a guy who had the lowest batting average against last year for starters, then a future Hall of Famer. Tonight was a show of just what this offense can do. Four home runs, including back-to-back shots from your six and seven hole hitters. The biggest thing tonight was getting good timely hitting, unlike last night when we stranded 11. Having guys like Blum, Loretta, Erstad, and Cruz on the bench is going to be a huge plus as the season goes along.

you are right. hope this is a sign of things to come. lets get a win today and split this series.

JasperDog94
04-03-2008, 08:48 AM
It's 336 down the line, which is where it hit the warehouse. So they're estimating that the ball would have only traveled another 63 feet, or essentially, 2.5 feet further than the pitchers mound to home plate. I think they need to work on their home run estimations. That thing probably had at least another 100ft in it. I could be wrong, but I think the way they measure it is by drawing a straight line on the ground to just under where the ball hit. Then draw a straight line up from there. Add the two numbers together and there you have it. With the technology we have now you would think that they could measure velocity of the ball. If the ball is still going up as it is leaving the park, it's going to travel a lot further than a ball already on it's way down.

sahen
04-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
yeah... the problem with home run distances is they measure to where it lands and that is about it...
the one Sosa hit a few years ago at Minute Made that hit the lights in left center is not the longest which is horse puckey since the ball was still on the rise... that thing was going about 600+... same as the one Wiggginton hit

i was at that game and that was one of the only times i ever heard a home crowd not boo a homer....seriously he hit the ball and everyone just went "oooo...ahhhh...ooo...oh my, did that just happen?"...i think they said tha tball was close to 500, which means they dont measure where it hits, they do project it out but i dont konw how...the one that beat him out may have been a shot by MacGwire which i was at too, hit the plexiglass above the trantracks about 3 or 4 panes up and was still going up, that was ridiculous as well....

eagles_victory
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by sahen
forgot the most important part, it was against Hoffman Not that important Hoffman is done he has been for a year or two now. He is kind of hanging around right now because of his legacy. He isnt even a top ten closer in the league right now. Had they had a better closer last year the Rockies wouldnt of even sniffed the postseason to make the run that they made.