PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Equipment Question

tortilla_man
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I am looking to get a new rod and reel... Im looking for something that I can use for both bass fishing and for bay fishing for trout and red... I wonder if maybe yall had some recommendations.

BwdLions
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
IMO, the best combination rod/reel you can buy is a Falcon rod and an Abu Garcia reel. Academy Sports carries them both. They can be used for bass fishing (and whatever useless fish you want to catch).

If you're gonna to be doing any bass fishing using the Texas Rig technique (plastic worms), make sure you get a stiff rod.

Gsquared
04-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
IMO, the best combination rod/reel you can buy is a Falcon rod and an Abu Garcia reel. Academy Sports carries them both. They can be used for bass fishing (and whatever useless fish you want to catch).

If you're gonna to be doing any bass fishing using the Texas Rig technique (plastic worms), make sure you get a stiff rod.

Hehe

Bull19
04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
all-star graphite rods
shimano calcutta reels

only way to go

kaorder1999
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
that is freaking funny!!

jason
04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
make sure you get a stiff rod

lol

didnt know you needed that, thought you just needed a worm and a 12 pack....

:doh:

44INAROW
04-02-2008, 01:17 PM
make sure you get a stiff rod.
1st thing on my list for sure :D ;) :nerd:

eppy 12
04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by jason
lol

:doh: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/HandsClap.jpg

Ranger Mom
04-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jason
lol

:doh:

I hope Reggie doesn't get hold of THIS one!!:)

eppy 12
04-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I hope Reggie doesn't get hold of THIS one!!:) the worm or the 12?http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/canoworm.jpg

ToroChingon
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Always take 2 Baptists fishing with you.

NEVER just take 1.

He will drink ALL your beer!

JasperDog94
04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by tortilla_man
I am looking to get a new rod and reel... Im looking for something that I can use for both bass fishing and for bay fishing for trout and red... I wonder if maybe yall had some recommendations. The best is the one that you feel most comfortable with. You will get several responses from several people. If you're just getting into it, don't drop a ton of money on it. Find a good sale and spend about 100 bucks on a combo rod and reel and go have fun.:)

lostaussie
04-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The best is the one that you feel most comfortable with. You will get several responses from several people. If you're just getting into it, don't drop a ton of money on it. Find a good sale and spend about 100 bucks on a combo rod and reel and go have fun.:) spoken from a wise one:thumbsup:

JasperDog94
04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
spoken from a wise one:thumbsup: I'm prepping for my trip to your neck of the woods. And my buddy does have a hand held GPS.:D

sinton66
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
As far as spin tackle and equipment, I have Abu Garcia and some years ago bought a Zebco Pro Staff combo. I really prefer the Zebco. It is graphite, extremely light and casts like a dream. I don't fish freshwater, so can't comment on bass, but I have torn up a ton of saltwater trout, redfish, and flounder with it (fishing artificial lures, BTW). Use 8 or 10 lb. test line for best casts.

Necks_Fan
04-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I fish with only an all-star or G-Loomis and a Curado 200 or a Calcutta.

Top of the line and the only way to go.

big daddy russ
04-03-2008, 02:43 AM
I am looking to get a new rod and reel... Im looking for something that I can use for both bass fishing and for bay fishing for trout and red... I wonder if maybe yall had some recommendations.
I had this big schpiel typed up for you, Danny, but my internet crapped out.

Basically, the only brand of reel you need to look at for saltwater use are Shimanos. That little $40 spincast of mine is the same one I've had for the last seven or eight years... the same one that I used to hold in my mouth when we swam the ship channel to go wade fishing. It's been cleaned and oiled exactly twice, the last time being this summer when we went to Sam Houston SP. Still reels just as nice as the day I bought it.

Not saying that Abu or Penn aren't good reels, just saying they require a lot more maintenance. I'm hell on reels and my old Abu and Penn saw oil maybe once a year, but they stopped reeling smoothly after two or three years. This $40 Shimano (less than half the price of that Abu) is still going strong.

The best rod is all about personal preference. I always go with a rod close to 7' and light-medium action. My personal favorite was the $75 All-Star I originally bought to pair up with the reel. Unfortunately, I broke it and stepped up to a $110 Castaway that two of my friends down in Corpus swear by.... which was stolen. So now I have a $90 Pflueger, and my mom (the fishing Nazi) can feel a fish fart on that rod. She has three in her personal collection, all of which see regular use, while her All-Star and American Rodsmiths lay off to the side. I don't know what she sees in Pflueger (because I'm not impressed at all), but it works for her.

Other friends of mine swear by everything from G Loomis to Shimano rods. The one constant among 4/5 of the saltwater fishermen that I know are Shimano reels. The best recommendation I can give you is to find the rod that you like before you do anything else. Then go look for the best Shimano reel that fits your budget.

If you want to borrow my setup next time you head down to the coast, let me know. Give it a shot and see if you like it. If not, head to Bass Pro and start looking.

PS: Gander Mountain over by my house had an amazing deal on a Shimano rod/reel combo a few months back. $98 for a Stradic spinning reel with a nice rod to boot. Both were last year's models. Definitely worth taking a look at. If I wasn't saving for a honeymoon right now, I'd be all over it.

Bull19
04-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

ditto that

JasperDog94
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
ditto that Bull, I don't know where "allover, Texas" is but we need to go fishing sometime.:D

Bull19
04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Bull, I don't know where "allover, Texas" is but we need to go fishing sometime.:D

you let me know when and where:)

Daddy D 11
04-03-2008, 08:35 AM

right there with ya!

JasperDog94
04-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Top of the line and the only way to go. Nice. I need your day gig to afford that kind of equipment.;)

JasperDog94
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
you let me know when and where:) I've got a new lake maps chip to put in my GPS unit. The contours are in 1' increments. I've never had one of these before so I'm anxious to try it out. If it weren't for this whole grad school thing I'd go this weekend.:(

DaHop72
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I am looking to get a new rod and reel... Im looking for something that I can use for both bass fishing and for bay fishing for trout and red... I wonder if maybe yall had some recommendations. You might try one of these:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/Snoopy20Rod.jpg

:D :D

JasperDog94
04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You might try one of these:

:D :D ahhhh.....good times.:)

Necks_Fan
04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Nice. I need your day gig to afford that kind of equipment.;) Well, academy has the 7' All star rods for 49$ and I picked up an 8'6'' custom saltwater G-Loomis at a pawn shop for 25$ (He didn't know what he had) and I just paid 229$ in
October for the Curado and I have a 200$ Calcutta that I've had for about 2 years now.... So....

Anyway, fishing is my life, and I work at a fishing pier and I have been fishing every fishable day every summer since I was 5. It's what I do.

lostaussie
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Anyway, fishing is my life, and I work at a fishing pier and I have been fishing every fishable day every summer since I was 5. It's what I do. hmmmmm:thinking: I thought i was the only one on here in the fishing industry!!!!

Old Tiger
04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You might try one of these:

:D :D When i was little i had one of those and i left it on the bank casted and that damn loch ness monster ran away with it. He told me i had to give him tree fitty to get it back. :(