PDA

View Full Version : Fort Worth couple married 75 years dies within hours of each other

BuffyMars
04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
A Fort Worth couple married for 75 years were buried Tuesday afternoon, after dying within five hours of one other.

JC Cox, 100, and his wife Josie, 96, were married on Christmas Day in 1932.

"She was telling me they went up to a pastor's door and knocked on the door," said Lesha Grimm, one of the couple’s granddaughters. "He didn't marry them, so they went to another pastor's house."

They kept their wedding vows for 75 years, through the deaths of their own children, the lives of three new generations and the inevitable changes in each other.

"He was 120 pounds at most, ever," Ms. Grimm said. "She was a fat granny."

While Josie was described as a talker, JC said little.

"He couldn't hear real well and he didn't talk much anyway," said Marla Williamson, another granddaughter. "That was his way of socializing with you was to share Dr Pepper."

The fridge is still loaded with Dr Pepper. The little Fort Worth house unchanged.

"They stayed together the whole time," Ms. Williamson said. "They slept in this bed."

Mrs. Cox insisted on being JC’s sole caregiver, even up until the moment they entered a nursing home last month.

"She was still ironing his clothes three weeks ago," Ms. Williamson said. “She was going to make sure, even though he never went anywhere, his clothes were going to be starched.”

The granddaughters said their intimacy was apparent until the moment they died. A few days ago, Mr. Cox took Mrs. Cox's hand and he slipped away.

"Holding hands, and that's how they died," Ms. Williamson said. "Pa died holding onto Granny."

Just five hours later, she let go too as her family whispered to her.

"Your children are waiting for you, and Pa is waiting for you," Ms. Grimm said. "It's OK. You can let go and we'll all be OK together. And a minute later, she passed."

eppy 12
04-02-2008, 12:11 PM
:(

lakers
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry:

kaorder1999
04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
possibly a movie? made for TV of course...probably Lifetime

BuffyMars
04-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
possibly a movie? made for TV of course...probably Lifetime

sadly, those were my exact thoughts when i heard this story this morning.

:rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Isn't that basically the premise of a movie that came out a few years ago?

kaorder1999
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
i guess kind of like the notebook...?

crzyjournalist03
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
that's probably the one I'm thinking of...I couldn't get myself to pay attention during that movie, but I remember a scene where two old people hold each others' hands and die...

AP Panther Fan
04-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i guess kind of like the notebook...?

my thought exactly.....

I'm not sure if this article makes me happy or sad...sounds like they had really good lives.

DDBooger
04-02-2008, 12:44 PM
i remember watching that movie with my girl at the time and at the end when the nurse walks in and is shocked i asked, "what happened? did they BOTH piss the bed?" yeah, ruined the ending for the chic, playtime was over at that point:rolleyes: wasted 2 darn hours!:doh: lol

44INAROW
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
my thought exactly.....

I'm not sure if this article makes me happy or sad...sounds like they had really good lives.

I agree APPF - :)

JasperDog94
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I know this is wrong, but...

Maybe he was the only one that knew where the medication was....

(I told you it was wrong.)

PHS Wildcats
04-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

wow

Blitzkrieg
04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

its only mean if you intended it to be because who knows it can be true, I've heard of weirder things happen....