PDA

View Full Version : Class Seniority

WOS87
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
What you have below are the 44 schools aligned to 3A Region III for 2008 ranked in descending order by total years competing in the largest existing classification down. (e.g. the 4 schools to have spent time competing in the largest classification are listed first, followed by the 20 schools who have spent time in the 2nd largest classification, etc.) The columns from left to right indicate:

Rank - the rank for the region of schools who have competed the most seasons in the largest existing classification. Ties were broken by total number of wins in the largest class.

Dist - the district in which the school in question will compete in the 2008 season

School - the team in question.

Class - due to the shift in the naming of the 5 classifications in 1980 the largest classification has been both 4A (prior to 1980) and 5A (since 1980). Since Class 4A in the 1970's and earlier and Class 5A in the 1980's and later are equivalent, the records of those periods were combined:
The Largest existing classification is indicated by 5A/4A
The 2nd largest by 4A/3A
The 3rd largest by 3A/2A
The 2nd smallest by 2A/1A
The smallest by 1A/B

Yrs - the total number of seasons competing in varsity district play in each of the classifications listed going back either to the beginning of the program or back to 1951 for the older schools. The maximum number is 57 years (1951-2007)

W/L/T/Win % - the total wins/losses/ties and winning percentage logged by each team while competing in each of the classifications.

Seasons competing - the range of years during which each school was aligned to each of the classifications.

3A Region III Class Seniority

4 Region III schools have spent time competing in the largest existing classification and 24 schools have spent time in the 2nd largest existing classification. Caldwell is the only Region III program to have spent all 57 seasons since the development of the 5 classification season competing in the 3rd largest class.

To see similar tables for the entire 5A Classification check out the following link: Class 5A Seniority (http://www.5atexasfootball.com/forum/vB/showthread.php?t=27571&highlight=Seniority)

I plan to do the remaining 3A regions and will add them on to this thread eventually, but it's pretty tedious work putting these together and takes time.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/3a3seniority.gif

kepdawg
04-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks again for all the info you provide!

As usual have fun with all the questions and complaints!

WOS87
04-11-2008, 05:59 AM
3A Region I Class Seniority

3 Region I schools have spent time competing in the largest existing classification and 26 schools have spent time in the 2nd largest existing classification. Decatur, West and Dalhart are the only Region I programs to have spent all 57 seasons since the development of the 5 classification system competing in the 3rd largest class.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/3a1seniority.gif

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
ouch..
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/ernie.jpg:clap:

WOS87
04-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that Borger has spent more time competing in the largest classification than any other current 3A program at 25 years. They also came the closest to winning a largest classification state title (in the 5 classification era) of any current 3A program when they were favored to win in the state finals in 1962 but were upset by SA Brackenridge 26-30, ending the season 13-1. They haven't had a 10-win season since then, and have only been able to notch 9 wins in a season 4 times since 1962.

The 3A program who competed in the largest classification the most recently I believe would be Dallas Roosevelt, who was 5A as recently as 1989. I'm not sure if they were opting to play up then or not so they may not have actually had a 5A enrollment in '89.

Brownwood is one of only very few programs (soon to be even fewer) that competed in the 2nd largest classification all 57 seasons since the 5 class system began in 1951.