PDA

View Full Version : Truckers to Strike Over Record Diesel Prices

BuffyMars
04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

MEDFORD, Ore. — Independent U.S. truckers are planning to stop hauling freight Tuesday in protest of record-high diesel prices that drivers say they can no longer afford.

Independent truckers, who constitute 90 percent of the nation's trucking fleet, are being hit especially hard by soaring diesel prices and compensation lags far behind rising costs, according to the American Trucking Association.

"Diesel used to be 30 to 40 cents cheaper than regular gasoline; now it's 30 to 40 cents more," said independent truck driver Gordon Gravely, of Helena, Mont., who stopped at the Phoenix Petro Truck Stop on his way to Roseburg, Ore.

Many truckers are spreading word of a strike through Internet blogs and over their CB radios, encouraging everyone to put their trucks in park in order to send the message to U.S. oil companies and the federal government.

"Make a stand, we're going to unite. It’s something we've needed to do," said truck driver Carla Skipworth.

Diesel this week was at an average of more than $4 a gallon in Oregon and Washington and nearly $4.12 in California, according to the American Trucking Association. If a trucker is filling up a 300-gallon semi, that bill could top $1,200.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association says it has not called for strikes and gave no estimate of how many of its members might participate. "We do not tell our members what to do. They inform us of what they are doing and we support their decisions either way," said Norita Taylor, a spokeswoman for the group.

"It worries the hell out of me," said 10-year truck driver Stan Hall, of Salt Lake City. "It just seems like a nightmare. In my wildest dreams, I wouldn't have guessed it would get this bad."

Hall said his company restricts drivers to certain fuel stations, where it has negotiated discount diesel rates.

"They tell us not to buy fuel in California," Hall said. "We are supposed to buy only as much as we need to get out of there."

Web sites such as TruckDriversUnited.com, are asking truck drivers to band together in a nationwide strike this first week of April, and some drivers already are planning to stop their trucks for a few hours early Tuesday.

"We keep getting e-mail every day from more and more who say they will shut down," Dan Little, owner of Little & Little Trucking of Carrollton, Mo. told the Indianapolis Star, "It's not only the truckers that are getting involved in this. We're getting e-mails from others, too. They tell me they plan to stay home on April 1."

Mike Card, president of Combined Transport in Medford, has 388 tractor-trailers in the company. He says the company is spending $2 million a month on fuel.

To help offset the costs Combined Transport has discount agreements with some fuel stops and installs tires, aerodynamic body parts and anti-idling devices that make the trucks more fuel-efficient. The company also reduced the maximum speed for its trucks to save on fuel.

More than 100 truckers and others rallied on the steps of the Pennsylvania Capitol in Harrisburg Monday, asking lawmakers to cut state taxes on their fuel.

Some truckers drove around the Capitol, blasting their horns in protest, but the state argues it needs the tax revenue to repair roads and bridges.

"There is a disproportionate burden placed on small business owners who are truck drivers because they depend upon diesel to run their businesses," said Norita Taylor, a spokeswoman for the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association.

George Vincent, 44, a driver from Monroe, Mich., said he doesn't support the trucker strike because he fears it will "throw the economy into a spiral."

Vincent said he copes by spending more time on the road. "I don't know how some people are making it. I have to work more to earn less."

Prices for diesel fuel have been lifted in the last few months by a wave of higher crude oil prices. Although oil has dropped from its March 13 closing high of $109.17, it is still trading above $100 per barrel and keeping gasoline and diesel prices at or near record levels.

The U.S. retail price for gasoline set a new high of $3.29 a gallon after rising 3.1 cents over the last week, the federal Energy Information Administration said on Monday.

The national price for regular, self-service gasoline is up 58 cents from a year ago as expensive crude oil continued to be passed on to consumers at the pump, the Energy Department's analytical arm said in its weekly survey of service stations.

In the EIA's latest weekly survey, gasoline was the most expensive on the West Coast at $3.52 a gallon, up 0.6 cent. San Francisco had the highest city price at $3.65, down a penny.

The Gulf Coast states had the cheapest regional price at $3.21 a gallon, up 4 cents. Boston had the lowest city price, up 0.7 cent to $3.11

Adidas410s
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Yet another ignorant idea by the uninformed.

Btw...the trucks are lined up outside our loading docks again today. Considering we run hundreds of trucks through here every day...I don't think they were too successful.

Buccaneer
04-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I paid $3.11(no taxes) for 1500 gallons about a month ago. I remember I thought it was the end of the world when it got to 99cents many years ago.

BuffyMars
04-01-2008, 01:07 PM
well i know if something doesn't give soon....everything will sky rocket even more. :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
The people who drive diesel vehicles are the ones who are getting screwed the hardest, so I don't blame them.

Old Tiger
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
good for them.

sinfan75
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
What's stupid about all this is that it costs less to make diesel than gasoline.

Emerson1
04-01-2008, 07:26 PM

zebrablue2
04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The people who drive diesel vehicles are the ones who are getting screwed the hardest, so I don't blame them.

Agreed. Those big rigs get about 5 miles to the gallon. Shame on the oil companies for charging this high price, and then bragging about their profits. It is a shame. Give those profits back to the truckers, who keep food on our plates, and the whole world running.

orange machine
04-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Sad thing is Opec will just raise the price if they do strike and nothing changes. Also what most people dont understand is that these gas stations get there gas all from the same supplier. For instance i know of 3 or 4 different stores with diffrent owners like Exxon, Mobile, Shell and others in Sherman who all get there fuel from 1 company in Sulpher Springs. So the idea of boycotting the big stations will not help either because it all comes form the same place. We are in trouble big time!!!

Haunta Yo
04-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
well i know if something doesn't give soon....everything will sky rocket even more. :(

Something's gonna give...Summer travel.
Gas will be $4 for the 4th of July.

Old Tiger
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Gas will be $4 for the 4th of July. There some some executives of oil gas companies on capital hill and were being asked why there record profits weren't going into alternative energy.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Gas will be $4 for the 4th of July.

It already is for the people who drive diesel vehicles. I know I paid $3.87 last time I filled up. It's ridiculous.

jason
04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
It already is for the people who drive diesel vehicles. I know I paid $3.87 last time I filled up. It's ridiculous. why do you (and this is directed to all who drive diesels but dont NEED them) need to drive a diesel? trade it in for a 4 cylinder 5 speed ford ranger...

ask emerson how long a tank of gas lasts him in his truck....

Old Tiger
04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by jason
why do you (and this is directed to all who drive diesels but dont NEED them) need to drive a diesel? trade it in for a 4 cylinder 5 speed ford ranger...

ask emerson how long a tank of gas lasts him in his truck.... sometimes you have to play the cards that are delt to you.....for various reasons

Aesculus gilmus
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
We are nearing the end of the vaunted age of "globalization." It is becoming too expensive to ship trivial items across oceans and continents merely because U.S. economists and politicians worship "free trade" and "labor arbitrage."

Also, OPEC recently has merely adjusted its output to offset the weakness in the U.S. dollar. Once the dollar fails as a currency and pricing is done in some other way, this will no longer be necessary. But you will not like the result as an American. We will be "Argentina North."

BuffyMars
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
why do you (and this is directed to all who drive diesels but dont NEED them) need to drive a diesel? trade it in for a 4 cylinder 5 speed ford ranger...

you know, it peeves me worse than anything to see a diesal farming truck on lbj freeway in gridlock.

those trucks were designed for heavy duty work and for farming purposes. yet, some people feel the need to drive a big truck with tires bigger than me just to say "my truck's bigger than yours". :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM

We bought the diesel truck new off of the lot in 2002 when they were trying to get rid of them for the new body style and got a really, really good deal for it. We needed it for a work truck to pull cattle and trailers and other various things. We use the truck that I drive to work, I still go home every weekend and lend a hand to my dad out on the farm. Now what good would a Ford Ranger do for someone like me who uses my truck for more than just a daily driver? Ford Rangers suck and having one would be useless for me. I still get 21 mpg out of my truck, but there was a time not too long ago when diesel was substantially cheaper than it is now and it was really economically smart of me to drive it, but now I don't really have a choice as it's my only means of getting place to place.

jason
04-02-2008, 10:32 AM
well if its a farm truck you leave it at the farm and get something else to drive around daily....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
well if its a farm truck you leave it at the farm and get something else to drive around daily....

How about you not worry where the expenditures our our household go? It really and truly is none of your concern. If you want to pay for me to get another vehicle, then by all means feel free, but try not to be so narrow-minded about things.

Adidas410s
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
It already is for the people who drive diesel vehicles. I know I paid $3.87 last time I filled up. It's ridiculous.
It's $3.99 at the Love's here in Midlothian. Has been for a week or two now...

jason
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
How about you not worry where the expenditures our our household go? It really and truly is none of your concern. If you want to pay for me to get another vehicle, then by all means feel free, but try not to be so narrow-minded about things. well then quit complaining about getting screwed if you don't want people's input....

gas in stephenville is probably close to the highest in the state (it is @ least above the average) and you don't see me complaining about it, i just get over it and dont drive as much...

because as much as people bitch and moan about it, nobody will actually do anything about it, they'll just pay whatever because they have to go wherever...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
well then quit complaining about getting screwed if you don't want people's input....

gas in stephenville is probably close to the highest in the state (it is @ least above the average) and you don't see me complaining about it, i just get over it and dont drive as much...

because as much as people bitch and moan about it, nobody will actually do anything about it, they'll just pay whatever because they have to go wherever...

That wasn't input, that was you being pressumptious. Besides, your idea is ignorant in the fact that it would cost more now to go out and buy a new vehicle than it would to pay for the diesel to put in the one that I currently own, that along with the increase in insurance premiums, cost of tires, oil changes, and wear and tear, among other things. If you have a logical solution to the problem, then I am all ears, but until then try not to be so narrow-minded and quick to assume that everyone can go out and afford to buy a new vehicle, because that just shows me that you're plain stupid. People have no choice but to pay the high prices for the gas, it's not like there is an alternative, but what is apparent is the oil companies lust for record profits from the backpockets of consumers. This isn't a luxury item, it is a necessity.

BuffyMars
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
That wasn't input, that was you being pressumptious. Besides, your idea is ignorant in the fact that it would cost more now to go out and buy a new vehicle than it would to pay for the diesel to put in the one that I currently own, that along with the increase in insurance premiums, cost of tires, oil changes, and wear and tear, among other things. If you have a logical solution to the problem, then I am all ears, but until then try not to be so narrow-minded and quick to assume that everyone can go out and afford to buy a new vehicle, because that just shows me that you're plain stupid. People have no choice but to pay the high prices for the gas, it's not like there is an alternative, but what is apparent is the oil companies lust for record profits from the backpockets of consumers. This isn't a luxury item, it is a necessity.

sadly, it is a luxury item to a lot of people. most of whom i work with. :mad:

jason
04-02-2008, 11:51 AM

i didnt say go out and buy a new one, i said trade in the diesel for something smaller....the diesel would probably be worth more than the ford ranger so costs would be minimal, oil changes and maintenance would be cheaper, and you would get better gas mileage, so that would offset the costs in the long run....

and you shouldnt call people stupid, its not nice and against the rules...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-02-2008, 11:55 AM
i didnt say go out and buy a new one, i said trade in the diesel for something smaller....the diesel would probably be worth more than the ford ranger so costs would be minimal, oil changes and maintenance would be cheaper, and you would get better gas mileage, so that would offset the costs in the long run....

and you shouldnt call people stupid, its not nice and against the rules...

And what benefit would I get out of the Ford Ranger? It won't fit the needs that we have for the truck. I'm pretty sure I covered this earlier when I said that the reason we own the truck is to use it to work. It's not jacked up, it doesn't have four-wheel drive, and it doesn't have an automatic transmission.

Old Tiger
04-02-2008, 10:21 PM
And what benefit would I get out of the Ford Ranger? It won't fit the needs that we have for the truck. I'm pretty sure I covered this earlier when I said that the reason we own the truck is to use it to work. It's not jacked up, it doesn't have four-wheel drive, and it doesn't have an automatic transmission. You have a big back seat if you get the extended cab:D