PDA

View Full Version : Well.....CRAP!!!

mustang04
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
So....i've been under alot of stress here lately with school and work. I walked on to ASU's team thinking that it's something that I really wanted to do, but after thinking ALOT about it, I've come to realize it may not be the wisest thing for me to do. I'm already a senior and next year is my last year, I don't want to hurt my grades cuz it's my grades that is currently getting me scholarship money, not football. Plus, I have to work to pay for rent and everything else, I think that doing football, full-time school schedule, and a 40 hour a week job would be something very unwise to dive into the last year of school. I will admit, I was on cloud 9 after being told that I could snap good enough, but I think that more than really wanting to play, I was just more or less really wanting to hear that. I have my intramural football teams that both went to Nationals with one placing 2nd and the other 8th....they consist of my roommates who are also my best friends. I could tell they were kinda bummed at the idea that I wouldn't get to play with them next year because we have so much fun together. So what I am saying is that I am going to talk to the coach today to let him know that as bad as I want to put pads on another time....it's just not the wistest thing for me to do right now.....I've been sick at my stomach all day today and last night just thinking about everything to figure out what to do....but I really do appreciate everybody's support when I was trying out, it meant alot. It just wasn't meant to be, just wishful thinking that I got "high" on i guess:(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
So....i've been under alot of stress here lately with school and work. I walked on to ASU's team thinking that it's something that I really wanted to do, but after thinking ALOT about it, I've come to realize it may not be the wisest thing for me to do. I'm already a senior and next year is my last year, I don't want to hurt my grades cuz it's my grades that is currently getting me scholarship money, not football. Plus, I have to work to pay for rent and everything else, I think that doing football, full-time school schedule, and a 40 hour a week job would be something very unwise to dive into the last year of school. I will admit, I was on cloud 9 after being told that I could snap good enough, but I think that more than really wanting to play, I was just more or less really wanting to hear that. I have my intramural football teams that both went to Nationals with one placing 2nd and the other 8th....they consist of my roommates who are also my best friends. I could tell they were kinda bummed at the idea that I wouldn't get to play with them next year because we have so much fun together. So what I am saying is that I am going to talk to the coach today to let him know that as bad as I want to put pads on another time....it's just not the wistest thing for me to do right now.....I've been sick at my stomach all day today and last night just thinking about everything to figure out what to do....but I really do appreciate everybody's support when I was trying out, it meant alot. It just wasn't meant to be, just wishful thinking that I got "high" on i guess:(

Reggie, I know how you feel. Joining the football team was probably one of the worst things that I could have ever done for my grades and for my personal life. I have little free time to study, and even less time to go out and hang out with friends. Geting a job is out of the question, I know that I would never have time. It's just something that you have to really want to do and there has to be a lot of incentive to keep you going. I know exactly how you feel and I can empathize with you 100% on your decision not to stick with it. It leads to long days and short nights, trust me, I get up at 5:00 AM every day and go to bed no sooner than midnight during the week, and it sucks.

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
:( Now I am depressed for both of you!!:weeping:

mustang04
04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Reggie, I know how you feel. Joining the football team was probably one of the worst things that I could have ever done for my grades and for my personal life. I have little free time to study, and even less time to go out and hang out with friends. Geting a job is out of the question, I know that I would never have time. It's just something that you have to really want to do and there has to be a lot of incentive to keep you going. I know exactly how you feel and I can empathize with you 100% on your decision not to stick with it. It leads to long days and short nights, trust me, I get up at 5:00 AM every day and go to bed no sooner than midnight during the week, and it sucks.

I appreciate it, cousin. I'm a manager right now and I work til' midnight alot of the nights of the week...there would be no way for me to do that, then do HW or study after I get off, only to get up early for football, go to class all day then back to work....but like I said, I have to have a job to pay for things and I HAVE to do good in school....playing football for a college is something i've wanted more than anything since highschool because i was always the "small guy" growing up and I felt like I had to do something like that to prove myself....but my parents helped me realize that I have nothing to prove to anybody

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
:( Now I am depressed for both of you!!:weeping:
Oh, I'm not quitting, just that whole aspect of it sucks. I love football and I love playing it, but I could very easily walk away from it and not feel bad about it.

mustang04
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh, I'm not quitting, just that whole aspect of it sucks. I love football and I love playing it, but I could very easily walk away from it and not feel bad about it.

yeah...see i'm kinda getting out of it before i invested too much into it to consider it quitting.....i don't want to look at my decision as quitting football...but more like NOT quitting to do good in school and do what has gotten me this far

Rocket Dad
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Research shows that both in High School and college - students that play sports have a higher GPA. One of the reasons is the rigid and structured daily and weekly schedule that they are on. Research also shows that 19-23 year olds that live off campus, work 30+ hours a week at a job tend to struggle more with grades. I feel like that is because these students have more free time to "play" around. Those engaged in full time athletics do not have the time to travel, hang out and do other things that can distract a young person from grades.

mustang04
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Research shows that both in High School and college - students that play sports have a higher GPA. One of the reasons is the rigid and structured daily and weekly schedule that they are on. Research also shows that 19-23 year olds that live off campus, work 30+ hours a week at a job tend to struggle more with grades. I feel like that is because these students have more free time to "play" around. Those engaged in full time athletics do not have the time to travel, hang out and do other things that can distract a young person from grades.

Well I like the input, but I underachieve enough as it is...i always do "just enough"....the only difefrence if i joined football would be that I would probably get rundown trying to do too much...cuz i'm very active in ALOT of things....and i live 15 minutes from campus, and work 40 hours a week...maybe if i was a freshman or soph living in the dorms with maybe a lil scholarship[ for football to help out financially it would be different...but thats not the case for me:(

AAA87
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
if your not on scholarship for football, and your are not family wealthy, than it is hard to work and pay for all and still be in football.

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM

I know you aren't quitting....but I still feel bad for both you and Reggie, for different reasons.....but sad nonetheless!!

mustang04
04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I know you aren't quitting....but I still feel bad for both you and Reggie, for different reasons.....but sad nonetheless!!

Awe thanks Kellye

crzyjournalist03
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Research can show a lot of things.

I know from personal experience in high school that athletics were a direct correlation to my slumping grades. As soon as I made the decision to leave, my grades went up. I went through four years of college working 30+ hours a week and living off-campus the last three, and had a perfect 4.0 GPA. Had I played sports in college, I can assure you that I wouldn't have graduated with a perfect GPA.

Rocket Dad
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Sure , there are certainly exceptions to all research. I have watched boys and girls that are around the age of my two sons for years. Most of the time, those that quit athletics and said that they wanted to concentrate on academics did no better.

mustang04
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Sure , there are certainly exceptions to all research. I have watched boys and girls that are around the age of my two sons for years. Most of the time, those that quit athletics and said that they wanted to concentrate on academics did no better.

they prolly quit for other reasons but used that as an excuse that no one would criticize them about

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM

I have known these 2 boys for 5+ years......I would be hard pressed to find any harder working kids.

They know what they want, what their goal is, and have sacrificed other things in their life to get it.

I commend Reggie for knowing he couldn't do it all and giving up a dream....a decision that may sting some, but I have all the faith in the world in him.

mustang04
04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I have known these 2 boys for 5+ years......I would be hard pressed to find any harder working kids.

They know what they want, what their goal is, and have sacrificed other things in their life to get it.

I commend Reggie for knowing he couldn't do it all and giving up a dream....a decision that may sting some, but I have all the faith in the world in him.

:bigcry: :bigcry:

and plus Gary and I have Farms/Ranches that sometimes we are required to go home and help out with....sooo thats another thing I forgot to mention.....thanks again kellye for everything, cuz out of everybody on this board, you and maybe a couple others would know me better than anybody else on here

pirate4state
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
You gotta do what makes you happy. Only you know what that is. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

AP Panther Fan
04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, I am sure that you will follow your heart and that ONLY YOU know what is going to be best for you in the long run.

I admire your sensibility among other things, and if this is a joke.....:mad: (it would have been a good one)...

Hang in there and keep smiling! Breath in...breath out.

:)

mustang04
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Well, I am sure that you will follow your heart and that ONLY YOU know what is going to be best for you in the long run.

I admire your sensibility among other things, and if this is a joke.....:mad: (it would have been a good one)...

Hang in there and keep smiling! Breath in...breath out.

:)

haha, no it's not an april fools joke sadly...but thank you

LH Panther Mom
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Knowing you, I'm sure you thought long and hard before deciding it was the right decision for you. At least you can know that you did try, so the "what if" has been answered. :kiss:

CheerMom
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Good luck. It's like other people have said, you have to listen to your heart. You, and only you, know what is best.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM

That is very kind of you to say, so thanks. ;)

CHS_CG
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Reggie, I know giving up a dream can be hard and it probably hurts but you being able to see things woul dbe very difficult for you is awesome. You are such a wonderful person and I hope everything works out for you in the end. Keep up the hard work and it will all pay off for you hun!