PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Useless Body Parts

3afan
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
(from MSN):

10. Plica semilunaris
You may not know it, but you have a third eyelid. Pull open the two more noticeable eyelids and take a look -- it's located right in the corner by the tear duct. This small third eyelid is left over from what's known as a "nictitating membrane," which is still present in full form in some animals including chickens, lizards and sharks.

9. Body hair
No doubt we were once hairier. Up until about 3 million years ago, we were covered with body hair. But by the time Homo erectus arrived, the ability to sweat meant we could shed our woolly ways.

8. Sinuses
Doctors don't really know much about sinuses -- only that we have a lot of them. Possibilities for their function range from insulating our eyes to changing the pitch and tone of our voice.

7. Adenoids
Adenoids trap bacteria, but they're also prone to swelling and infection. Just ask any 7-year-old. Luckily, our adenoids shrink with age and are often removed, along with ...

6. Tonsils
Also prone to swelling and infection. If you still have them when you reach your 30s, it's almost an accomplishment.

5. Coccyx
More useful as a game-winning Scrabble word than as part of the anatomy, the coccyx or tailbone, is made up of several fused vertebrae left over from the olden days when we had tails.

4. Arrector pili
When we were hairier (see No. 9), the arrector pili made the hairs stand on end when we needed to appear bigger and scarier. Now, it just gives us goose bumps.

3. Wisdom teeth
Back in the day, when we ate mammoth meat off the bone and didn't floss afterward, our teeth tended to fall out. Therefore, when those reserve molars, aka "wisdom teeth," came in, they were welcomed. Nowadays, fluoride and dental plans have made them just a huge pain.

2. Appendix
Darwin claimed the appendix was useful for digestion during our early plant-eating years; it's dwindled down to little since we started eating more digestible foods.

1. Male nipples
Because, why?

Phil C
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Actually a study on the tonsils and apendex was done a few years ago and people that had them removed got sick more often so it is possible they aren't as useless as some people thought.

piratebg
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
(from MSN)1. Male nipples
Because, why?

Some my wife can have something else to play with? :p

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Some my wife can have something else to play with? :p

Haha!! When I read about the nipples, my first thought was my granddaughter....she is fascinated with her daddy's!!

Sweetwater Red
04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
(from MSN):

10. Plica semilunaris
You may not know it, but you have a third eyelid. Pull open the two more noticeable eyelids and take a look -- it's located right in the corner by the tear duct. This small third eyelid is left over from what's known as a "nictitating membrane," which is still present in full form in some animals including chickens, lizards and sharks.

9. Body hair
No doubt we were once hairier. Up until about 3 million years ago, we were covered with body hair. But by the time Homo erectus arrived, the ability to sweat meant we could shed our woolly ways.

8. Sinuses
Doctors don't really know much about sinuses -- only that we have a lot of them. Possibilities for their function range from insulating our eyes to changing the pitch and tone of our voice.

7. Adenoids
Adenoids trap bacteria, but they're also prone to swelling and infection. Just ask any 7-year-old. Luckily, our adenoids shrink with age and are often removed, along with ...

6. Tonsils
Also prone to swelling and infection. If you still have them when you reach your 30s, it's almost an accomplishment.

5. Coccyx
More useful as a game-winning Scrabble word than as part of the anatomy, the coccyx or tailbone, is made up of several fused vertebrae left over from the olden days when we had tails.

4. Arrector pili
When we were hairier (see No. 9), the arrector pili made the hairs stand on end when we needed to appear bigger and scarier. Now, it just gives us goose bumps.

3. Wisdom teeth
Back in the day, when we ate mammoth meat off the bone and didn't floss afterward, our teeth tended to fall out. Therefore, when those reserve molars, aka "wisdom teeth," came in, they were welcomed. Nowadays, fluoride and dental plans have made them just a huge pain.

2. Appendix
Darwin claimed the appendix was useful for digestion during our early plant-eating years; it's dwindled down to little since we started eating more digestible foods.

1. Male nipples
Because, why?

Evolution?:eek:

BuffyMars
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Haha!! When I read about the nipples, my first thought was my granddaughter....she is fascinated with her daddy's!!

ummmmmm......:hairpunk:

piratebg
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM

My daughter is the same way.

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
ummmmmm......:hairpunk:

Yes??

BuffyMars
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes??

the wording made me :eek:

piratebg
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Does the word NIPPLE scare you? :D

BuffyMars
04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Does the word NIPPLE scare you? :D

yes. i don't have any.

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM

LOL!! Did you think I was talking about my "granddaughter's nipples" at first??:p

piratebg
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
yes. i don't have any.

Just lower your thermostat. They'll pop up. :D

Sweetwater Red
04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
yes. i don't have any.

If you did they'd probably point east and west anyway.:D

piratebg
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Well, that's better than North and South.......or just South for that matter. :D

BuffyMars
04-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

thanks for making fun of my handicap. :hand:

mustang04
04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I thought the most useless body part would be Jason's "little man"...not like he's ever gonna use it:D :D

BobcatBenny
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Male nipples are completely useful.

You wouldn't be able to have the dreaded "purple nurple" without them. :eek:

FutureAD
04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Actually a study on the tonsils and apendex was done a few years ago and people that had them removed got sick more often so it is possible they aren't as useless as some people thought.

id have to diagree about the tonsil part...before i got my tonsils out i always had a sore throat probably every other week...now that i got them out i havent had a sore throat in over a year....

Ranger Mom
04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by FutureAD
id have to diagree about the tonsil part...before i got my tonsils out i always had a sore throat probably every other week...now that i got them out i havent had a sore throat in over a year....

I agree!! I got mine taken out when I was 13 y/o.....up until that point, I had tonsillitis at LEAST 4 times a year.

31 years later, I can count the sore throats I have had on hand.

31 years later??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just realized how hold I actually am!!:(

pirate4state
04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree!! I got mine taken out when I was 13 y/o.....up until that point, I had tonsillitis at LEAST 4 times a year.

31 years later, I can count the sore throats I have had on hand.

31 years later??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just realized how hold I actually am!!:(

http://www.orlyowl.com/haha.jpg

nobogey72
04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
OK this reminds me of a joke. A guy got left on a deserted island as a kid and grew up there surviving on clams and coconut milk. He had not seen another human since he was 3 or 4. He just dug up clams and drank coconut milk and stayed alive. Then, when he was about 20 this beautiful blonde floats up, and he explains to her how he got there and how he had survived. She asked him about sex, and he didn't know what she was talking about. She explained it to him and asked him if he was interested in trying it. He said yes. When they were finished, she asked him if he liked it, and he said "Yes, but look what you did to my 'clam digger' !":D

Phil C
04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Wouldn't you hate to be this giraffe with a sore throat?

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Photography/Images/POD/g/grazing-giraffe-south-africa-249230-sw.jpg