PDA

View Full Version : Tornado warning for Johnson/Tarrant countines until 3:35 PM CST

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FORT WORTH HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHERN JOHNSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS...
SOUTHEASTERN TARRANT COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS...

* UNTIL 345 PM CDT

* AT 302 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A
DEVELOPING TORNADO NEAR GODLEY..MOVING EAST AT 38 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
JOSHUA BY 310 PM CDT...
CROWLEY AND KEENE BY 315 PM CDT...
BRIAROAKS AND BURLESON BY 320 PM CDT...
RENDON AND ALVARADO BY 325 PM CDT...
MANSFIELD AND VENUS BY 335 PM CDT...

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
I know somebody posted a good storm chasers forum last year...can anybody link me to it?

eppy 12
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FORT WORTH HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHERN JOHNSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS...
SOUTHEASTERN TARRANT COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS...

* UNTIL 345 PM CDT

* AT 302 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A
DEVELOPING TORNADO NEAR GODLEY..MOVING EAST AT 38 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
JOSHUA BY 310 PM CDT...
CROWLEY AND KEENE BY 315 PM CDT...
BRIAROAKS AND BURLESON BY 320 PM CDT...
RENDON AND ALVARADO BY 325 PM CDT...
MANSFIELD AND VENUS BY 335 PM CDT... TAKE CARE MY FRIEND.

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Here's a live cam w/ NBC5's storm chasing crew out in southern Ft Worth.

http://www.nbc5i.com/videostream/15753877/detail.html

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Things are looking scary in Flower Mound right now...

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
WFAA reporting golf ball sized hail in Flower Mound.

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Tornado near Flower Mound...new Tornado Warning

Lake Lewisville by 350
Little Elm by 355

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2008, 03:45 PM
one side of my building looks placid...the other looks like death is imminent...I think it's moving away from me right now though.

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
slowly forming rotation about 5 miles west of my office...it's not a funnel yet but it's getting there. This is a thing of beauty. I'm gonna be unproductive for a while now...

Sure am glad there is about 150 tons of steel beams sitting about 200 ft from me and in the storms path. They aren't secured just yet either! :(

eppy 12
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
slowly forming rotation about 5 miles west of my office...it's not a funnel yet but it's getting there. This is a thing of beauty. I'm gonna be unproductive for a while now...

Sure am glad there is about 150 tons of steel beams sitting about 200 ft from me and in the storms path. They aren't secured just yet either! :( funny, you need to get down.

eppy 12
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
where in relation to frisco/plano are you?

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm in Midlothian right now. That's far NW Ellis County/Southern Dallas County. The storms out here went about 5 miles north of our mill. I live in the north part of Dallas though.

kepdawg
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Sirens were blaring for the better part of 45 minutes here and in Frisco.

coach
03-31-2008, 07:56 PM
it seems like there is always several tornadoes a year in that area

thewyliefan
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
was there any major touch down damage any where?

ToroChingon
03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan

Only when the Cowboys are on Defense!

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
I know 2 or 3 homes were destroyed in Godley. I'm sure there was some hail damage up in Collin/Denton counties as well.

PHS Wildcats
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
Only when the Cowboys are on Defense!

LOL:clap:

D_bird
03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I know somebody posted a good storm chasers forum last year...can anybody link me to it?

I posted it last year, and I think it crashed their site, cuz then they went to members only for the rest of the season after that... I'll pm it to whoever wants the link...

trojan37
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM

The best stormchaser forum is stormtrack.org. They talk about general weather, nowcasting, and also will post pictures and video from storm chases. I used to be a member of this site, since chasing is my hobby. This is the place to be when the weather is going downhill.

D_bird
04-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, and if you go on there, you will see that there is talk about Thursday being a very big day tornado wise for Northern Texas and Southern Oklahoma, when chasers are talking about targeting your area, or the area just to the west of you, that is not good.

trojan37
04-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I've been looking at some forecast models, and right now I think the main area on Thursday is going to be to the west of the DFW metroplex. I've actually been doing some forecasting, and right now the way things look I might try to set up sometime between noon and 3:00 on Thursday somewhere around Graham, Throckmorton or up to Wichita Falls. Everything in the forecast models right now spells tornado outbreak, but that can change real fast.

D_bird
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah, exactly and I have that day off from work too. Thursday has the potential to be a high risk day just to the west and north of the metroplex.

Of course I think we had the same type of setup last year about this time too, and while there was a fairly large tornado near Seymour, the threat for a major tornado outbreak for the metroplex was thwarted by a lot of low clouds and rain. Now there was a tornado in Haltom City that day, but the severity of that was limited because of clouds and rain during the day before the main storms came through around 6 o'clock or so...

There is also talk about late next week too, but that is just too far out to get into right now...

trojan37
04-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by D_bird
Yeah, exactly and I have that day off from work too. Thursday has the potential to be a high risk day just to the west and north of the metroplex.

Of course I think we had the same type of setup last year about this time too, and while there was a fairly large tornado near Seymour, the threat for a major tornado outbreak for the metroplex was thwarted by a lot of low clouds and rain. Now there was a tornado in Haltom City that day, but the severity of that was limited because of clouds and rain during the day before the main storms came through around 6 o'clock or so...

There is also talk about late next week too, but that is just too far out to get into right now...

It was the same time last year. NASCAR weekend. This looks like it has the potential to the worse than last year.

Adidas410s
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM

We had it during Nascar AND during the Byron Nelson. I was finally getting to play Cowboys Golf Club...albeit in a nice rain w/ wind...when the cold front arrived, hit the dry line, and lightning shattered an oak tree about 50 yards from me while I was in the 2nd fairway. Never again have I stepped foot on the course! :(

D_bird
04-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey, if you are going to be coming thru Paradise on 114 on the way to your target there is a nice little cafe to eat at called the Finish Line. A lot of truckers eat there at around lunch time...

What kind of setup you got for chasing? A laptop with radar I'm sure, GRL3 and/or GRL2?

trojan37
04-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey, if you are going to be coming thru Paradise on 114 on the way to your target there is a nice little cafe to eat at called the Finish Line. A lot of truckers eat there at around lunch time...

What kind of setup you got for chasing? A laptop with radar I'm sure, GRL3 and/or GRL2?

That's my problem right now. I don't have a laptop yet, but I'm hoping to get one soon, then I'll put eithet GRL3 or swiftwx on it. Right now all I have is my ham radio with weather alert and my eyes. If you know storm structure, and what they can do, you can go without radar. A lot of guys do. And then you have those that spend thousands of dollars on big time setups in their cars. I do hope to have a better setup in the future. I'm waiting for the spc day 2 outlook to come out any minute now and see if anything has changed from what they see and what I see. I will make an early morning forecast on Thursday and go from there.

D_bird
04-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I have a laptop with GR3 and GR2 on it, but I don't have any type of setup for chasing other than my hand held ham radio and my eyes. The laptop stays at home if I ever go watch the clouds or anything around here.

I did a lot of storm spotting with my aunt and uncle when I was a kid and they were on the fire department here in Paradise, I'd rather watch the clouds than radar any day anyways...

trojan37
04-02-2008, 01:04 AM
As I suspected. SPC hasn't posted the graphic yet, but they have already put out a moderate risk for severe weather for Thursday. When a moderate risk is put out 24 hours in advance, then it is a potent setup. There is also a good possibility of upgrading(or downgrading, depending on how you look at it) to a high risk on Thursday. We should see some pds watches issued on Thursday.

D_bird
04-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah reading the text and looking at the graphic, they are extremely bullish on this one. This one has a yikes factor of about a 9 on it on a scale of 1-10... But a lot can change in the next 36-48 hours too...