PDA

View Full Version : Praying parents' other 3 kids removed

jason
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer Fri Mar 28, 7:52 PM ET

WAUSAU, Wis. - The three siblings of a girl who died of diabetes that went untreated as her parents prayed instead of taking her to a doctor have been removed from the home during an investigation, police said Friday.

The parents and social services experts agreed the move would be best for everyone, Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin said. The children are staying with other relatives, though they were not in danger, he said.

"There is no physical evidence of abuse or neglect," he said.

Madeline Neumann, 11, died Sunday the Weston home of an undiagnosed but treatable form of diabetes as her parents, Dale and Leilani Neumann, prayed for her to get better. Her mother said she never expected her daughter, whom she called Kara, to die.

The family believes in the Bible, which says healing comes from God, Leilani Neumann said.

The children removed from the home range in age from 13 to 16 and are expected to return to their parents once an investigation of the girl's death wraps up, Vergin said.

He would not specify where they are living, other than with another family member.

Vergin said his agency's final report will make no recommendations on possible charges against the parents, leaving that up to the district attorney.

"There is no intent. They didn't want their child to die. They thought what they were doing was the right thing," he said. "They believed up to the time she stopped breathing she was going to get better. They just thought it was a spiritual attack. They believed if they prayed enough she would get through it."

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080328/ap_on_re_us/daughter_s_death_prayer)

i know some people are super religious - but the parents should be in jail....

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Healing may come from God, but brains do as well. He has given us the intellectual ability to treat ourselves when we are in danger. I consider myself to be super-religious, but I'm a firm believer that God wants us to take the best care of ourselves that we can, and that includes using modern medicines when necessary.

CenTexSports
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't think that the couple should be in jail but I don't think they should get their children back. Who knows when they will make the same type of decision again putting one of the other kids at risk?

This is so much like the story of the man who died because he believed that God was going to save him from the flood so he refused a ride in three boats before he drowned.

These people just don't get it!

Adidas410s
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Healing may come from God, but brains do as well. He has given us the intellectual ability to treat ourselves when we are in danger. I consider myself to be super-religious, but I'm a firm believer that God wants us to take the best care of ourselves that we can, and that includes using modern medicines when necessary.
It reminds of the drowning man who refuses to take help and trusts that God will save him because of his faith. When he gets to Heaven and asks God why he died...God says, "I sent you a boat, a helicopter, etc."

Faith is important...prayer is important...it looks like these people were convinced that God would only answer them through the miraculous healing of their daughter. However, even if that happened...how would they have known since they wouldn't take her to a doctor in the first place? :thinking:

ronwx5x
03-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
It reminds of the drowning man who refuses to take help and trusts that God will save him because of his faith. When he gets to Heaven and asks God why he died...God says, "I sent you a boat, a helicopter, etc."

Faith is important...prayer is important...it looks like these people were convinced that God would only answer them through the miraculous healing of their daughter. However, even if that happened...how would they have known since they wouldn't take her to a doctor in the first place? :thinking:

I believe the parents probably still believe their daughter died because the parent's faith was not strong enough. That's like the Old Testament concept of punishing the children for the sins of the parents and makes about as much sense.

Macarthur
03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Absolutely the right decision to take those kids out of that house. I found it funny that the police chief said there was "no sign of abuse or negelct".

Hello! A kid is dead due to their neglect!:eek:

44INAROW
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Absolutely the right decision to take those kids out of that house. I found it funny that the police chief said there was "no sign of abuse or negelct".

Hello! A kid is dead due to their neglect!:eek:

Amen.. I agree 100% - if a person is old enough to decide for THEMSELVES not to seek medical attention due to a faith based believe - go for it - but to refuse to treat a child who is not old enough to make the decision for themselves - it's neglect - and neglect is abuse.. plain and simple!