PDA

View Full Version : Burning a MP3 to CD

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 08:44 AM
This is a take-off of nobogey's thread about transferring cassettes to CD.

I have figured how to get them over to my computer and can convert them to an MP3 format.

When I burn it to a CD the songs show up on the playlist and will play, but when I put it in a CD player, it doesn't recognize anything on the disk.

The CD player/jam box I am using was bought at Christmas, so you would think it would be able to read a burned CD.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or something else I should try??

Thanks!!

jason
03-31-2008, 08:48 AM
if you want to play in a cd player, you can't burn them as mp3's (unless you are putting them in an mp3 capable player) - you have to burn them as audio files...

as mp3 files, you can get a little over 200 songs on a disc...
as audio files, you get 14-18 tracks, like on a regular cd....

and i am using regular 700mb (80 minute) cd-r's for my example...

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by jason
if you want to play in a cd player, you can't burn them as mp3's (unless you are putting them in an mp3 capable player) - you have to burn them as audio files...

as mp3 files, you can get a little over 200 songs on a disc...
as audio files, you get 14-18 tracks, like on a regular cd....

Ahhhh!! So what format do I need to convert it to then??

I am using "Audicity" and the format it's in won't work.

Would "WMA" work?? I have one of those converters too!!

jason
03-31-2008, 08:57 AM
you should have an option in whatever program you are using to create an audio cd (which is what you want) or a data cd (which would burn the hundreds of mp3 files)...

they can be in whatever format, but it is how you burn the dis that matters...

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
you should have an option in whatever program you are using to create an audio cd (which is what you want) or a data cd (which would burn the hundreds of mp3 files)...

they can be in whatever format, but it is how you burn the dis that matters...

My dad is wanting to transfer his cassettes to CD's.....so they are all songs he wants to be able to listen to while driving down the road.

The program I am using TELLS me they have to be formatted into another file, but you have to get your "formatter!"

jason
03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
well....if you stick a kevin fowler cd into your computer and use media player to rip the cd, you will have a list of 14 mp3 files....

you would then open your cd burning software and select an option that says something like 'create audio cd'

select the songs you want

and burn the cd....

to do what your dad wants to do, you need to find something that will convert the cassette to individual tracks and then, if they are not already mp3's, convert them (there are plenty of free file converters http://www.download.com/123-Audio-File-Converter/3000-2140_4-10410479.html) and then burn your cd the same way as above....

it would probably be easier just to download all the songs he wants and not mess with converting the cassette's....

this is why new technology and old people don't mix....

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
well....if you stick a kevin fowler cd into your computer and use media player to rip the cd, you will have a list of 14 mp3 files....

you would then open your cd burning software and select an option that says something like 'create audio cd'

select the songs you want

and burn the cd....

to do what your dad wants to do, you need to find something that will convert the cassette to individual tracks and then, if they are not already mp3's, convert them (there are plenty of free file converters http://www.download.com/123-Audio-File-Converter/3000-2140_4-10410479.html) and then burn your cd the same way as above....

it would probably be easier just to download all the songs he wants and not mess with converting the cassette's....

this is why new technology and old people don't mix....

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

My dad sings in church a lot. These are some old songs I haven't been able to find on the internet (SO THERE!!).

Also, some of these cassettes are songs that were sung in that church by him and others years ago...those are also not on the net.

I am recording them to my computer as individual tracks, as most of them only have one song per CD anyway.

I am not as clueless as you think I am!

Emerson1
03-31-2008, 01:22 PM
You are dumb

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You are dumb

From rule #3:

Avoid using people's real names in your posts, NAME CALLING and the use of derogatory terms toward others. That attaches a personal flavor that most posters will find objectionable.

:tongue: :tongue:

CenTexSports
03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I certainly do not think you are dumb but if you in fact were, would it be derogatory or just a statement of fact?

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I certainly do not think you are dumb but if you in fact were, would it be derogatory or just a statement of fact?

IMO, it would be derogatory!!

I hope someone wouldn't get on here and call me ugly, just because they think I am!!!

:(

jason
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
IMO, it would be derogatory!!

I hope someone wouldn't get on here and call me ugly, just because they think I am!!!

:( you know what i think about that

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

WOS87
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Here's a pretty thorough post on the topic that gives step-by-step instructions along with screenshots and links on where to find free software to do it:

Link to ---> Converting Tape to CD (http://www.sticksite.com/tape2cd/)

It's kind of an interesting site... the main page of the site is for a place that sells walking sticks.

Ranger Mom
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Here's a pretty thorough post on the topic that gives step-by-step instructions along with screenshots and links on where to find free software to do it:

Link to ---> Converting Tape to CD (http://www.sticksite.com/tape2cd/)

It's kind of an interesting site... the main page of the site is for a place that sells walking sticks.

They are using "Audacity" to transfer....that is the program that I used!