Stu Pidass
11-16-2003, 11:45 AM
What's the scoop on Iowa Park?

Stu Pidass
11-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Looks like it will be at Boswell field again this week at 6PM Saturaday

VWG
11-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Iowa Park is a stingy ballclub. They have decent size on the lines, and a great linebacker. They run multiple sets on offense and look for their QB to pass or run. I know he chewed off some long runs to put the game away against Ballinger.
Iowa Park will play tough, so I look for a close game.

Bearcats213
11-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Iowa Park's quarterback is a fast guy. He's number 4 I think. Number 5 and 20 should be watched to. They run an overloaded backfield a lot of the time, watch the sweep and TE out in the flat. If they line up for extra point with a bunch of guys to one side and a kicker snapper holder away watch out because the snapper throws it to a guy behind the wall of guys off to the side.

My thoughts....Adios IP

GlenRosePoster
11-16-2003, 09:20 PM
I pick Kennedale by 14.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Don't take IP lightly. They have a good football team. Great coaching. They can run out of any formation and will as the coaches adjust. They ran the wing T, single wing and spread against Vernon. They can throw or run about the same. They have a decent Qb and a playmaker in #5 Chase Burgher. On defense #66 and #13 are studs. They are a good football team and will give Kennedale a good football game. I listened to the Ballinger IP game on the radio and IP really played a good game. Ballinger scored a late TD to make it respectable.

IP has won several games this year late in the game so they play well in the second half. Also they use lots of trick plays and misdirection. They run a good counter play.

CatsDen
11-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Bearcats213:
Iowa Park's quarterback is a fast guy. He's number 4 I think. Number 5 and 20 should be watched to. They run an overloaded backfield a lot of the time, watch the sweep and TE out in the flat. If they line up for extra point with a bunch of guys to one side and a kicker snapper holder away watch out because the snapper throws it to a guy behind the wall of guys off to the side.

My thoughts....Adios IPNice breakdown. The extra point formation you talked about is called "The Swinging Gate" and Kennedale is very familiar with the formation and plays ran from "The Gate"

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: CatsDen ]</small>

CatsDen
11-17-2003, 08:08 AM
My thoughts on the Sanger game:

Rex showed an amazing burst of speed (the TD run that was called back due to penalty) and cat-like agility (the tight rope down the sideline was great!). Weldon had a fantastic game! Bryan's leaping dive into the endzone was awesome! Bostice's catch on the sideline and second effort was great. Overall, Kennedale looked good against Sanger. The speed that so many posters here have referred to was definitely evident in the game (more in this game than any other this season). Sanger started runing from the Spread formation, but Marcos (almost had a TD on the int.) and the rest of the DB's did a terrific job of coverage. Hemphill and JD layed out some punishing hits. The hit Smitherman put down on that sideline play was brutal!!! The defense was really firing off and knocking out some monster hits. David did a fantastic job of getting into the backfield with his rush. Kennedale has definitely turned it up a notch for the playoffs! I'm looking forward to the Iowa Park match-up.

vet93
11-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Sorry to disagree Z but Ballinger didn't need the last touchdown to make this game respectable. It was a very close game. Ballinger was driving for the go ahead touchdown with 8 minutes to go (inside the 10). They failed to get the td much to the credit of IP and that is when #4 broke his long runs to put the game out of reach. Ballinger had more total yards than IP and were simply big played by the quarterback who made something out of nothing. If you take away his big plays, IP simply didn't do much else. Of course big plays are part of the game, but to say that Ballinger needed the final score to make the game respectable is a bit of a mistatement. Maybe the IP announcers were making things look a little rosier than it was. I give a lot of credit to IP. They played a great game and made the plays that they needed to to win the game. Their quarterback reminded me alot of Carrillo from Sweetwater last year or Wilbur from Greenwood. He was a dandy. If Kennedale shows up and means business, they will romp in this game. If kennedale doesn't come out and salt the game away and lets IP hang around then it could be a dog fight. I just think that Kennedale will have too much speed for IP.

Z motion 10 out on 2:
Don't take IP lightly. They have a good football team. Great coaching. They can run out of any formation and will as the coaches adjust. They ran the wing T, single wing and spread against Vernon. They can throw or run about the same. They have a decent Qb and a playmaker in #5 Chase Burgher. On defense #66 and #13 are studs. They are a good football team and will give Kennedale a good football game. I listened to the Ballinger IP game on the radio and IP really played a good game. Ballinger scored a late TD to make it respectable.

IP has won several games this year late in the game so they play well in the second half. Also they use lots of trick plays and misdirection. They run a good counter play.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 11:28 AM
I actually listened to the Decatur game until the third quarter and then switched over to the IP Ballinger game so I missed the first half when it was so close. When I started listening IP reeled off 21 unanswered points to go ahead to 32 to 13. Ballinger made the last score of the game with 58 seconds left, which brought about my respectable comment.

mjbf
11-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Vet93 - I saw the Ballinger - IP game. I think you are on target with your assessment. I would have liked to visited with you but did not know how to find you. You seem to be very fair in your analysis and breakdown of the games. Ballinger had a good year. They will be a force to reckon with in the future. You keep posting and I'll keep reading.

vet93
11-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks mjbf...I was up there with family and Wildstangs (from Sweetwater). Would have loved to meet another fellow downlower...if we are ever at the same game again...send me a pm (personal message) and we can find a meeting place. By the way...I had reservations about the Stamford stadium but it was very adequate for the crowd on hand and the field was in very good shape for this time of year. My apologies to Stamford if anyone was offended.

mjbf:
Vet93 - I saw the Ballinger - IP game. I think you are on target with your assessment. I would have liked to visited with you but did not know how to find you. You seem to be very fair in your analysis and breakdown of the games. Ballinger had a good year. They will be a force to reckon with in the future. You keep posting and I'll keep reading.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: vet93 ]</small>

bleedgreen
11-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Catsden, you left out Chris Morris. This guy goes both ways and does it all. He's my HWP.....Hardest Working Player.

Stu Pidass
11-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey BleedGreen good to see you back , I think you told me that you would not post until the playoffs, saw you last week at Boswell. In speaking with some of the coaches at Kennedale they beleive the chemistry of this team is perhaps better than the last two years combined. There are far to many good players on this team to name, however I think that the Oline of this group gets no recognition, without them Rex, Chris, Weldon and Brian would not be where they are today. My son is called the Jolly Green Giant and wears my birth year on his chest.... I plan on tailgating in the parking lot (we will be visitors again, come by and have a bratwurst with me !!!

bleedgreen
11-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Once I get on the parking lot, I will follow my nose. I've picked up running again, so by Friday I should have quite an appetite. Yea, there wasn't much to post on and when Glen Rose beat us, I got all depressed. Man, we looked absolutely lost on defense but hey! what else is new. I see a pattern....score on all possessions except 3-4 and we should win, even against a high powered offense. Then you hope the defense can cause a punt, turn-over or failed 4th down conversion 3-4 times. You're right about being different this year. Our players remember last year. It hurt bad and their on a mission to make up for that. You can see it in their eyes and in their play. In Region 1, we've got a target on us(and Decatur too) and everyone we play is bringing their "A" game. Without a doubt, we will bring ours from the opening kickoff. When we execute well, we're hard to beat. When we don't execute well, such as Glen Rose, you see what happens. You can't afford to let up in the playoffs because when you lose, you go home and get ready for basketball. One last thing....why did you change your name?

KTownBalla
11-19-2003, 09:38 AM
I expect a really good game. Iowa Park is not a bad team by any means...

vet93
11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
If you can get past some of Iowa Park's wacky formations and not let #4 or #5 big play you to death like they did against Ballinger, then I think that you guys should smoke the hawks. Ballinger rung up 350 yards offense against IP and didn't play as well as they I have seen them play. You guys have something that Ballinger did not have against IP and that is team speed. If you can use that to shut down their big plays then they are sunk. Iowa Park can beat you guys if you don't play to your potential but I think that you learned some hard lessons from the Glen Rose game and last year. Good luck.

KTownBalla:
I expect a really good game. Iowa Park is not a bad team by any means...

CatsDen
11-19-2003, 12:35 PM
I just stumbled across this early article from a newspaper serving Iowa Park:

Hawks hope to be in stride for district
Andy Newberry, Times Record News

Iowa Park may need an early season lift from its defense while the offense works in a new quarterback and offensive line.
If all goes as planned, the Hawks will be hitting their stride in the District 5-3A campaign and making their way into the playoffs.
The Hawks return defensive leader Brian Love, a 6-0, 205-pound linebacker, who head coach Chris Ellis sees as a potential all-state selection. Michael Fulkerson, Jeremy Williams, Grant Miller, Teddy Lytle and Matt Gaitan round out the linebacking depth, which should be a team strength.
"In the nine years I've been here, he's one of the top two linebackers we've had," Ellis said. "We've had a lot of smallish type players so 205 is a big linebacker for us.
"Our linebackers and corners are in good shape. We need some defensive linemen and a free safety to come through for us. We have lots of kids who can make tackles."
On the defensive line Jeremy Pelz (5-11, 240), Kyle Stewart (6-0, 235), Jake Vickers, Shannon Richie, Hunter Davis and Stephen Pierce.
Senior Sam Martinez and two sophomores are competing at free safety.
The defense also has a new leader on the practice field after defensive coordinator Bruce Merrell left for Vernon. The new DC is Dusty Robinson, who played under Ellis when he was an assistant under Weldon Nelms at Wimberly.
"Dusty is very enthusiastic. He was with me (when Ellis took over as head coach) and coach Nelms stole him and I stole him back," Ellis said.
Ellis will get a chance to game-plan against his former assistant on Halloween night at Hawk Stadium.
"Those two teams don't have trouble getting up for each other anyway," Ellis noted.
On the offensive side, the Hawks return guards Pelz and Stewart, but are looking for three new members. Sophomore Shane Veitenheimer is competing with Vickers at center, while sophomore Tyler Duggins is battling Pierce at one tackle and Tyler Aponte and Dwight Gibbs, both seniors, are working at the other tackle slot.
Kyle Hayley and Hunter Davis plan to split time at tight end.
Junior Justin Swenson, who played mainly cornerback last year, will take over the offensive reigns at quarterback.
"He's a good athlete (4.5 speed in 40) and he'll be dangerous out on the flanks," Ellis said. "He can run and he can work in some of our bootleg situations."
Chase Burgher, a senior wingback, is a versatile offensive weapon. He had 435 yards rushing and 365 receiving as a junior. He can throw the ball a little, too.
Junior Lance Morton should start at wide receiver.
The running back position took a hit when Zach McAlister moved to South Carolina, but Zach Davis and Fulkerson have shown Ellis some promise. Love and Cory Spikes will split time at fullback.
"The key will be our offensive line," Ellis said. "I'm a guy who always focuses on getting the offensive line to come together. If we can do that, then we can control the ball and keep our defense off the field."
Ellis sees Graham as the District 5-3A favorite will everybody else "improved." The Hawks have three league games at home.

CatsDen
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Iowa Park Team leaders:

QB: Justin Swenson 76-174 for 1221 yds and 16 TDs (passing), 119-385-9 (rushing)

Zac Davis 83-477-2 (rushing)
Chase Burgher 39-360-1 (rushing)
Brian Love 64-355-3 (rushing)
Corey Sikes 14-52-1 (rushing)

Chase Burgher 17-364-5 (receiving)
Jeremy Williams 11-173-4 (receiving)

Tackles Leaders:
Brian Love 128
Grant Miller 70
Dustin Riley 70
Jeremy Williams 53
Chase Burgher 39
Teddy Lytle 32

INT Leaders:
Dustin Riley 5
Chase Burgher 2

Fumble Recoveries:
Hunter Davis 3
Jeremy Williams 3
Grant Miller 2

CatsDen
11-19-2003, 12:46 PM
This was the local preview for the IP-Ballinger game:

Iowa Park made the postseason last season and fell 41-25 to Decatur in the area round.

Iowa Park is as multiple as a team gets. The Hawks can run the spread offense, single wing, Wing-T or just about anything else out there.

Players to watch: (IP) LB Brian Love, DE Hunter Davis, OG Jeremy Pelz, QB Justin Swenson