View Full Version : Babysitter on the Run Charged With Child's Murder

CHS_CG
03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/17118056.html
Posted: 10:05 PM Mar 28, 2008
Last Updated: 11:58 AM Mar 29, 2008
Reporter: Derek Shore
Email Address: shore@kbtx.com

Police are looking for Berny Figueroa, 29, of Brenham. Authorities say that when a 2-year old girl was picked up from Figueroa's home the child was short of breath. The child's parents brought her to Trinity Medical Center where she died just a few hours later.

"We found her lower intestine was severed from the small intestine," said Det. Lloyd Powell, of the Brenham PD. "Which means something significant had to hit her in the stomach area to cause that damage to her."

After speaking with investigators, police began to build their case against Figueroa. But then this past Friday, they learned that she had fled. She is now being charged in the toddler's death. A charge of capital murder.

"We do have some leads as to where she is," said Powell. "We have several state and some federal agencies that are going to help us out in locating Ms. Figueroa."

A reminder for all parents.

"Do the background work on babysitters if anyone is going to be watching your kids," said Powell. "I would say just be as careful as possible because in a situation like this you don't get a second chance."

Figueroa is a citizen of Honduras and police believe she may have fled there. Anyone with information on Figueroa's whereabouts is urged to call Brenham Police.

This is a horrible story to here. As a parent and I very thankful that I have a trustworthy person to watch Taylor.

pirate4state
03-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Just terrible :(

CHS_CG
03-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Just terrible :(

AGREED! I think if shes caught and convicted somebody should hit her in the stomach hard enough to server her intestine and see how she likes it!

Ranger Mom
03-29-2008, 02:46 PM
I never put my kids in daycare, nor did I ever let anyone other than a friend or family member watch them, for that very reason!!!

You don't know who to trust!!