PDA

View Full Version : McMurry?

Daddy D 11
03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
whats everyones opinion on this school? Would love to hear the Abiliene folks chime in on the town and specially the school:)

Adidas410s
03-28-2008, 08:50 AM
:thumbsup: <----take that...turn it upside down...there's my opinion...

Daddy D 11
03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
haha whys that?

pirate4state
03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
stanggirl07 is enrolled at McMurry. She is hardly ever on, but she is having a blast.

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
haha whys that?
I think it has something to do with Hardin-Simmons. ;)

Adidas410s
03-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think it has something to do with Hardin-Simmons. ;)
a little bit of that
a little bit of "it's a school with minimal alumni funding"
a little bit of "it's a school with declining enrollment"
a little bit of "outdated facilities"
a little bit of "limited technological resources"
a little bit of "much lower academic standing than HSU/ACU"

Spaceman_Spiff
03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Adidas...it pains me to read your words about my alma mater...but your words are "a little bit of 100% accurate".

nobogey72
03-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
Adidas...it pains me to read your words about my alma mater...but your words are "a little bit of 100% accurate".

Plus, they don't have a mascot. Used to be Indians. But the PC folks wanted them to change it. So instead of changing it, they just decided to not have one. :( :(

I_DONT_CARE
03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
NOT THAT ANYONE CARES WHAT I THINK ( :rolleyes: ), BUT WHATEVER SCHOOL THAT HAS THE RIGHT FEEL TO IT FOR THAT PERSON, IS A GOOD THING.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-28-2008, 10:18 AM
McMurry is a decent college, but probably the bottom of the three Abilene Colleges. Better than a lot of other schools elsewhere though.

They have upgraded their football playing surface within the past several years.

Excellent decision NOT to have a new mascot. The students can still call them the Indians and the band will still play Indian chants etc. So unofficially they will always be Indians....brilliant move on the part of the administration. My alma mater Midwestern caved in and now they are the Mustangs instead of the Indians.

Sweetwater Red
03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
My alma mater Midwestern caved in and now they are the Mustangs instead of the Indians.

What's wrong with that?:mad:

:D

Tin Cup
03-28-2008, 10:22 AM
definately the bottom of abilene colleges...old and outdated...sports team are usually a good competitor in the american southwest conference...hsu over mcm all day every day LOL :)

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
What's wrong with that?:mad:

Nothing if you started as a Mustang, but I graduated as an Indian and now they are Mustangs -- ain't right.

Sweetwater Red
03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Nothing if you started as a Mustang, but I graduated as an Indian and now they are Mustangs -- ain't right.

Good point.:(

Adidas410s
03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
I don't say them as somebody that went to HSU but rather as somebody from Abilene that sees it as a failing school. There was much talk a few years ago about dropping their UMC affiliation...but I think they realized that financially it was a poor decision to do so and decided against it.

They have donors willing to build a new baseball stadium (great facility), football field, and tennis courts...yet they can't improve the quality of their academic offerings. :(

injuredinmelee
03-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I worked with some kids that went there, here are some of the knick names they had for it:

Crapmurry
slackmurry
and a few more i better not post on this board.

Rocket Dad
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
3 Robinson Rockets will join McMurray next year to play football. LB,DB,RB - #45,#2, #9 good luck..

Texasfootball2
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I will give my honest opinion of McMurray. I know a lot of great people that work at McMurray. The education and the quality of people on staff are good. The school itself is not very attractive. One reason is the color of brick on the old buildings. Another reason is, it is located in an old part of town and is totally landlocked. They have been trying to buy up houses in the adjacant neighborhoods the last several years to potentially give them so room to expand but it's going to take some time. The baseball facilities are absolutely first class ( a result of expanding outside of the orginal reservation). They put field turf down on the football field and have plans to update the rest along with a new fieldhouse.

They've been playing second fiddle to HSU the past 15 years. HSU is a beautiful campus and is constantly updating. The success of the football team has really hurt McM's ability to recruit out of towners because when they come they usually visit both and well I have to admit, I would chose HSU too. There are a lot of locals who will enroll their but they will live at home so campus life is alsmost non existance.

There alumni support is actually pretty good. They pony up, when they have to. Overall, if it's a young man/women's only opportunity to play college athletics, it's not that bad of a choice. Afterall they will be around great people, and you can't say that about everyplace.

Just my opinion

Spaceman_Spiff
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
The baseball field was actually built from a donation from a relative of the Baseball coach at the time...We were the Indians "back in the day", and it was a good place to attend and play football then. I've sent a few players that I coached there, only to have them leave after 1 or 2 semesters because there was so much disunity there...shame. I've also had a few kids go to HSU and to ACU...some stayed, some transferred.

I was in Indian then, and am still proud of it!!!

Spaceman_Spiff
03-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I saw Robinson scrimmage, and watched them on video later in the season...the kids from Robinson will definitely help the program if they can hang on until their Jr year.