PDA

View Full Version : Dirk out until playoffs. Mavs sign Avery Johnson to 10 day player coach contract.

Emerson1
03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Wire Reports
Dallas, Texas
from beat writer Jim Spanarckel

"The Dallas Mavericks have shut down Dirk Nowitzki and found an unlikely source to fill their roster; their 43 year old coach. "It really was the best move." Avery was quoted after filling out the required paperwork. "We need some leadership on court and it's time to take the pacifier out". Avery's first game will be tonight's nationally televised game against the Denver Nuggets, one of Dallas' chief rivals in the fight for the last playoff spot. "Avery will bring a lot of the intangibles" said veteran Mav Jerry Stackhouse. "I know nobody can stop him from going left".

Avery becomes the first player coach on a playoff team since Bill Russell's final years with the Celtics. "We're hoping to capture some of that old magic" said Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. "The Celtics went into that final championship year as a low seed, just like we will. Bottom line, it's Avery's team".

Avery said he expects to start tonight and guard Allen Iverson, and will move Jason Kidd to the starting two guard. "We like Stack coming off the bench. Several times, he has outscored the opponent's bench all by himself". When asked about being out of the league for five years, Avery scoffed, saying "This gives us championship winner experience at the point guard position. That's something we've been needing for some time. We probably don't lose to Miami in 2006 if we had done this then."

Dirk was non committal about the move, saying "I'm looking forward to seeing what Avery will bring out there. Obviously he has been out of the league a while, but he keeps himself in great shape challenging the current players to one on one throughout the season." Jason Kidd also weighed in "I'm just here to help the team. Avery calls all the plays anyway."

crzyjournalist03
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
lol...I'm glad that they got in an "obviously" in a Dirk quote

icu812
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Thats a good one. A couple years ago maybe.

Emerson1
03-27-2008, 07:03 PM
It's true

http://www.nba.com/breakingnews/dallassign.php (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare)

Bull's-eye
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
The game is on TNT, but Avery hasn't scored yet.

jlg043
03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
this is serious?

jlg043
03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
ahhh you got me

PHS Wildcats
03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow.. I have got to see this:clap: this is funny

PHS Wildcats
03-27-2008, 08:50 PM
wow!! I am an idiot:clap: