PDA

View Full Version : America Fastpitch Assoc. National July 28-Aug. 3, 18&U- Beaumont Tx

Old Cardinal
06-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Out of the 160, or so, teams showing up for the 18 & U Nationals at least FOUR that have already qualified have roots close to the Beaumont, Tx area. All of these teams can be considered serious contenders. Robert Verde has the BLAST (a gold team) that has a lot of College players from Louisiana Lafayette: plus Bridge City 3A players, Catcher Jessica Lemoine(Senior), and Meagan Godwin(Junior) start for this team. Mike Dotson, has the Beaumont Blast Red team of older girls; and then there is the Beaumont Blast White team of 18 & u girls, also with a host of All District HS girls from the area. The Gulf Coast Breakers from the Mid-County HS's and assorted College Freshmen, are also in the hunt...The Thunder, Coached by John Clinton of Bridge City has a Potent team of girls from Lufkin south to the Coast..Bridge City has Jessica Sartin, Cailey Wallace, Eleana Clinton, and one more whose name escapes me- on that Potent team. There are girls from Orangefield, H-F, H-J, Kirbyville, also dispersed on these 18 & U teams....PLEASE SHARE WITH US info about teams from your area that are out to secure the AFA National Championship for 18 & U....It's kind of fun to see the College scouts, in droves, looking at the HS age girls and also the Jr. College girls that are good prospects for Major Program scholarships.

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
06-10-2003, 09:23 PM
I stopped by the old complex this evening and watched the 18 & u Beaumont Blast team practice. Their Pitcher is a Freshman Pitcher for East Texas Baptist College, and is very good. Melissa Eshbach, a recent graduate from Orangefield was really hitting the ball well. She batted .411 her Senior year at OF, and they place 2nd in District. That team has several more College players and a good crop of recently graduated HS Seniors. They are looking forward to the AFA Nationals--- and the fact that Lamar U. may be forming an SB team, next season.

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
06-10-2003, 09:29 PM

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

bulldog65
06-11-2003, 07:11 AM
For anyone who has never been to this tournament I highly recommend it! My daughter played in it many times and it was always a lot of fun! The whole community supports it and all the local business est. from hotels to restraunts were first class all the way. Very organized and really some fantastic ball played. Now that she is a senior in college I am faced with the fact that this will be her last year. I am truly going to miss fast pitch.

Old Cardinal
06-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks Bulldog 65: Come on down, but you better get a motel room now...They will be booked from Lake Charles to Houston(east/west) and from the Gulf of Mexico to Jasper! Even the RV parks fill up, it a great vacation trip for Softball lovers...I sure hope we can put together a great 3A TX/LA Classic tournamrnt next season...I was over there to watch the Bridge City Thunder team of 14 & u in a giant "B" ball tournament, last Saturday. There were teams from San Antonio, New Orleans, to Dallas. Boy, has "B" ball improved! I appears that they have really developed skills, on the serious teams. They lack the elite pitching because, every time a girls starts to excel, a Select team picks her up. In Bridge City's case, Coach Tadora, has 4 that would qualify to play 12 & u, but choose to play "B" in the 14 & u age group. I promise, many of these girls will be filling spots along with the Year Round Select team girls from BC on the HS and Jr V. teams, for Bridge City Cardinals.