PDA

View Full Version : Antarctic ice chunk breaks

BuffyMars
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
get ready for the global warming talks to be accelerated.

on front page of yahoo!

---------------

A piece of Antarctic ice about seven times the size of Manhattan collapses.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/842580

Maroon87
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
get ready for the global warming talks to be accelerated.

on front page of yahoo!

---------------

A piece of Antarctic ice about seven times the size of Manhattan collapses.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/842580

That thing will chill an awful lot of beer...but I need a really big ice pick. :thinking:

michaelp23
03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Everybody run for the hills. The world is coming to an end!!:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That thing will chill an awful lot of beer...but I need a really big ice pick. :thinking: :eek: LOL I'm not even gonna say what I thought I read!!! :doh: :crazy1:

Sweetwater Red
03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
:rolleyes: or :thinking:

What's the cause?Earth is a very special planet – it is close enough to the sun to receive a lot of energy, but far enough not to be scorched.

In addition, our atmosphere has a very special device – a layer of greenhouse gases that spread all around the planet. This layer keeps the globe warm like a blanket, shielding it from the cold universe.

While not being the most potent greenhouse gas, CO2 is the main driver for the greenhouse effect. And this is where the problem starts.

To satisfy our hunger for energy, we are burning fossil fuels – coal, oil and natural gas. These are in essence plant matter from many millions of years ago. They did not take part anymore in the natural cycle and were in fact completely withdrawn from it.

Now the CO2 contained in this fossilised matter is being released because we burn fossil fuels. We released as much as 28 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere last year!

The effect is that the ‘blanket’ or greenhouse gas layer gets thicker. And consequently Earth is warming up.

The cause of climate change is the unlimited burning of fossil fuels – coal, oil and natural gas.

Burning these carbon-based materials produces carbon dioxide (CO2), the main pollutant causing climate change.

CO2 can be harmless enough when dissolved in a drink – it adds sparkle to mineral water, soft drinks and champagne. However, when excess amounts are released into the atmosphere it can cause untold damage. Read how CO2 causes global warming.

Where does the CO2 come from?

In terms of fuels, the main problem is coal. The other key reason is waste – inefficient use of energy.

And in terms of industries, the main culprit is electricity production – the power industry.

See here a graph showing the distribution amongst sectors:

CO2 emissions by different sources

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_we_do/climate_change/problems/cause/index.cfm

eppy 12
03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
this mean gore is gonna run?:rolleyes:

eppy 12
03-26-2008, 03:51 PM
oops, sorry. no tics. don't hurt me p4s

pirate4state
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by eppy 12
oops, sorry. no tics. don't hurt me p4s

HAHAHAHAHA

:D

thank you :)

Necks_Fan
03-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Way to support Global warming and all the tree hugging hippies that go along with them SR.

eppy 12
03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
HAHAHAHAHA

:D

thank you :) ;) :p

Sweetwater Red
03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Way to support Global warming and all the tree hugging hippies that go along with them SR.

You're talking to me all wrong.:thinking:

I could careless one way or the other. Did you NOT see those
two smilies that preceded that story?

Apparently, you can't tell when a pot's being stirred.:rolleyes:

I_DONT_CARE
03-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I'VE NOTICED THAT YOU SEEM TO HAVE ISSUES WITH "HIPPIES". ANY REASON WHY? :rolleyes:

themsu97
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That thing will chill an awful lot of beer...but I need a really big ice pick. :thinking:

I will bring the ice chest...

themsu97
03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
I'VE NOTICED THAT YOU SEEM TO HAVE ISSUES WITH "HIPPIES". ANY REASON WHY? :rolleyes:

yep... all hippies are bad... that dang tie dye they were is dang right annoying... and the beads are stupid too... they need to go back to the 60's and 70's where they belong... that way I can return to the 80's and dress like Crockett and Tubbs

JasperDog94
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
yep... all hippies are bad... that dang tie dye they were is dang right annoying... and the beads are stupid too... they need to go back to the 60's and 70's where they belong... that way I can return to the 80's and dress like Crockett and Tubbs Ever notice that hippies in the 60's and 70's drove the most inefficient gas-guzzling vans?:thinking: :thinking:

themsu97
03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
yep, and now they are driving either Hummers or big SUV's... go figure

PHS Wildcats
03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
yea saw this yesterday:(

Trashman
03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
The panda article left out one very important fact. All the carbon produced by man is less than 15% of the total carbon produced by dead plant life as it decays. So even if we stopped all carbon production by man we will not stop global warming if it is being produced by the production of carbon:eek:

rockdale80
03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
The panda article left out one very important fact. All the carbon produced by man is less than 15% of the total carbon produced by dead plant life as it decays. So even if we stopped all carbon production by man we will not stop global warming if it is being produced by the production of carbon:eek:

Depends on who you ask. Obviously we know which side you choose to agree with. I think it is crazy to think man doesnt leave a footprint on the environment with the lives we lead.

Necks_Fan
03-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
I'VE NOTICED THAT YOU SEEM TO HAVE ISSUES WITH "HIPPIES". ANY REASON WHY? :rolleyes: Yea, because they are pot-smoking, drug doing, moraless,worthless pieces of crap that do nothing positve for anything and yea that's a bit of a steroetype but it's my opinion.

Plus, why do you care?

Ranger Mom
03-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Yea, because they are pot-smoking, drug doing, moraless,worthless pieces of crap that do nothing positve for anything and yea that's a bit of a steroetype but it's my opinion.

Plus, why do you care?

How long does hair have to be to be considered a hippy?

Necks_Fan
03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
How long does hair have to be to be considered a hippy? A man pony tail is getting there. Anything past that is ridiculous.

Ranger Mom
03-26-2008, 09:42 PM
A man pony tail is getting there. Anything past that is ridiculous.

So the guys that post on here whose hair is long enough to be put in a pony tail are automatically "pot-smoking, drug doing, moral less,worthless pieces of crap that do nothing positive for anything?"

Talk about "profiling"!!

Necks_Fan
03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
So the guys that post on here whose hair is long enough to be put in a pony tail are automatically "pot-smoking, drug doing, moral less,worthless pieces of crap that do nothing positive for anything?"

Talk about "profiling"!! No, I clearly said that is "getting there" and I said that I KNOW that is a stereotype and an opinion and I NEVER one time said hair had anything to do with hippies before you brought it up the hair issue.

Just went along with what you said hun. Please don't put words in my mouth.

rockdale80
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Yea, because they are pot-smoking, drug doing, moraless,worthless pieces of crap that do nothing positve for anything and yea that's a bit of a steroetype but it's my opinion.

Plus, why do you care?

ok narrow-minded douchebag.... how is that for stereotyping?

It goes both ways. Just making a point. I dont know if you are narrow minded. :D :D

Ranger Mom
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
No, I clearly said that is "getting there" and I said that I KNOW that is a stereotype and an opinion and I NEVER one time said hair had anything to do with hippies before you brought it up the hair issue.

Just went along with what you said hun. Please don't put words in my mouth.

You brought it up last night on the American Idol thread...I just happened to remember it.

And don't call me "hun"

Necks_Fan
03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
You brought it up last night on the American Idol thread...I just happened to remember it.

And don't call me "hun" Well, you are right. I said he looks like a hippy and I also said he needs to do something with his hair but I didn't say that "the guys that post on here whose hair is long enough to be put in a pony tail are automatically "pot-smoking, drug doing, moral less,worthless pieces of crap that do nothing positive for anything?"

I said that is my opinion of a hippy. That is also noted that that is an opinion.

Sorry for the "hun".

I didn't think you would get offended.

Necks_Fan
03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
ok narrow-minded douchebag.... how is that for stereotyping?

It goes both ways. Just making a point. I dont know if you are narrow minded. :D :D Look, you don't know me; I don't know you. I really couldn't care less what some person on the internet calls me personally so..... ok.

I know you could say the same thing for me what I say about hippies in general but again...... ok.

michaelp23
03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Depends on who you ask. Obviously we know which side you choose to agree with. I think it is crazy to think man doesnt leave a footprint on the environment with the lives we lead.

Good point. I'm trying to do my part to contribute to global warming. I just traded my fuel effecient Saturn in for a brand new crew-cab GMC Sierra pick up truck. It gets horrible gas mileage and costs like $80.00 to fill up. Man is it nice to drive. I love it!!!:D :clap:

Ranger Mom
03-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
Good point. I'm trying to do my part to contribute to global warming. I just traded my fuel effecient Saturn in for a brand new crew-cab GMC Sierra pick up truck. It gets horrible gas mileage and costs like $80.00 to fill up. Man is it nice to drive. I love it!!!:D :clap:

I haven't driven my Suburban in several years, although I do still own it.

I remember making a post back when gas was $2.18 a gallon that I had just put $89.50 in gas to fill it up.

At over $3.00 a gallon now, it would take appx $120.00 to fill it now!!

Thank God my daughter abandoned her S-10...it gets really good mileage!!!

Spaceman_Spiff
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm with ya Eppy...here comes more wisdom from Al Gore.

Maroon87
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: LOL I'm not even gonna say what I thought I read!!! :doh: :crazy1:

I don't think you need to now...:D

DU_stud04
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
bring global warming on... ive seen the future and the future is sweet. just think the worlds largest waterpark.... you can catch me doing swan dives off of the statue of liberty :)

Black_Magic
03-27-2008, 11:11 AM

Talk about "profiling"!! http://www.oldhippie.de/images/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg :smoker: :crazy1: :inlove: :cool:

Ranger Mom
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
http://www.oldhippie.de/images/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg :smoker: :crazy1: :inlove: :cool:

Now THAT is a hippie!!!

DU_stud04
03-27-2008, 11:29 AM

Talk about "profiling"!! good thing i cut my hair freshman year, id hate that to be thought of me

nobogey72
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
There is no scientific evidence that Marijuana smoke has any effect on the atmosphere. They tried to do an experiment one time but the scientists that were conducting the experiment abandoned the project after 2 days and were last seen floating down the Guadalupe nekkid. :smoker: :thumbsup:

P.S.---- If I win the lottery and become independantly wealthy I will grow a pony tail down to my A$$. And if anybody calls me a hippie, or pisses me off in any way, I will have my highly paid body guard, (Stang Red) whip their A$$.:mad: :mad:

BuffyMars
03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
i think its all the carbon monoxide coming from cow's butts. oh and i'm sure all of our burrito eating isn't helping either.

STANG RED
03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
There is no scientific evidence that Marijuana smoke has any effect on the atmosphere. They tried to do an experiment one time but the scientists that were conducting the experiment abandoned the project after 2 days and were last seen floating down the Guadalupe nekkid. :smoker: :thumbsup:

While satisfying their munchies on moon pies and big red.:D

Originally posted by nobogey72
P.S.---- If I win the lottery and become independantly wealthy I will grow a pony tail down to my A$$. And if anybody calls me a hippie, or pisses me off in any way, I will have my highly paid body guard, (Stang Red) whip their A$$.:mad: :mad:

COOL! I just need to be highly paid enough to where I can afford my own highly paid body guard.;)

DU_stud04 Are you interested in the job?

DU_stud04
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
While satisfying their munchies on moon pies and big red.:D

COOL! I just need to be highly paid enough to where I can afford my own highly paid body guard.;)

DU_stud04 Are you interested in the job? only if i can wear a suite, black glasses and an ear piece. :D

BuffyMars
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
http://www.oldhippie.de/images/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg :smoker: :crazy1: :inlove: :cool:

um is that hippie pantless as well?