PDA

View Full Version : Football: The elephant in the master schedule

kepdawg
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Football: The elephant in the master schedule
11:34 AM Wed, Mar 26, 2008 | Permalink
Kent Fischer E-mail News tips

I was over at a DISD high school yesterday that's under the gun to get off the AYP list of failing schools. I've been visiting the school this year to report a story about how you restructure a big urban high school.

While I was there, I happened to sit in on a meeting where staff was trying to plan out next year's "master schedule" of classes. And when I left the school about 90 minutes later, I couldn't help but wonder:

Why does Dallas hand over any portion of its academic day to coaches?

At this school, the schedules of many incoming freshman will be dominated by "double block" classes that are, in essence, remedial. (Although the principal preferred the term "accelerated.") This particular school expects, based on past history and student test scores, that about one quarter of its freshman will be reading on an elementary school level. (I will refrain, for now, on commenting on why a high school is expected to succeed with kids who cannot read their 9th grade biology textbooks. That's a topic for another post.)

Many of these same kids will also be double blocked into a pre-Algebra class.

Those double blocked classes created a scheduling problem because they each eat up, essentially, two class periods. That doesn't leave students any free periods to take an elective course. At one point in the meeting, the staff was trying to figure out how to shoehorn a foreign language class into the sked for sophomores. There just wasn't room.

But there was -- at least to this outsider.

Sitting in the middle of the schedule, at every grade, was a block of time labeled "Athletics."

Full disclosure: I am not a native Texan. I have, however, written deeply about public education in three other states, prior to coming to Dallas five years ago. I have never before encountered a system that puts sports practice smack dab in the middle of the academic day. In my 15 years of writing about public schools elsewhere, sports have always come after the school day. Hence the term "extracurricular."

Maybe it's time to rethink this practice of giving coaches time that could (should?) be used to teach, say, math?

At one point yesterday, the master sked contained a block of time labeled "Athletics/Foreign Language." Which meant kids had a choice: They could take an extra Spanish class, or they could hit the weight room with their teammates. The teachers in the room chuckled, knowing full well which the kids would choose.

So as I'm sitting there watching the master schedule unfold, this is what I'm thinking: "Get rid of the athletics block. Get rid of the athletics block. See that athletics block in the middle of the day? Get rid of it."

As the meeting wound down, I asked: Why don't you get rid of the athletic block?

Because, was the reply, this is Texas. You don't mess with football.

Here I was at a school to talk about restructuring. About how Dallas ISD's high schools are supposed to be ratcheting up their standards. About how these schools have to get all kids ready for some sort of college. About how these schools are labeled "failures" and "drop out factories" when they don't.

And yet here was untouchable athletics, floating in the middle of the soup like a big ol' Matzos ball that nobody wants to bite.

LINK (http://dallasisdblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/football-the-elephant-in-the-m.html)

CenTexSports
03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you make a valid point but you also have to remember that there are hundreds of schools that do it this way and excel. The real key is in preparing these kids to handle the subjects prior to having to do it in a remedial fashion.

Maybe there should be some state pressure to remove the athletic block from the schedules of school districts that do not get their students ready.

LH Panther Mom
03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I think you make a valid point but you also have to remember that there are hundreds of schools that do it this way and excel. The real key is in preparing these kids to handle the subjects prior to having to do it in a remedial fashion.

Maybe there should be some state pressure to remove the athletic block from the schedules of school districts that do not get their students ready.
Exactly! Maybe the elementary and junior high grades should be looked at to find why kids are coming into 9th grade, reading at a 3rd grade level. :confused:

And, no, I don't understand all the workings of DISD and "inner-city" schools (before JR gets all over me). But my oldest did attend K-4th in Lubbock ISD, 1st grade in a predominately minority school. I realize that everyone learns at a different pace, but the fundamental to success in school is READING. Yes, Math, Science, etc are important, but if you can't READ, then how can you be expected to keep up with the other classes? :(

Emerson1
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
We have this, 4th and 5th are block schedules and 4th is athletics every day.

crzyjournalist03
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
We have this, 4th and 5th are block schedules and 4th is athletics every day.

eww...I hated block schedules in high school...I'm glad they didn't do that when I was there.

Emerson1
03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
eww...I hated block schedules in high school...I'm glad they didn't do that when I was there.
I like it for the most part. I get out at 1 on one day and 3 on the other. The day I get out at one I actually have a real class 4th period, the day I get out at 3 I have athletics and photoshop for idiots until 3.

crzyjournalist03
03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
They offer photoshop as a class now?

Dang.

I just hated the idea because I had a hard enough time listening to one teacher for fifty minutes, and I really needed the regular changes of scenery/classmates.

themsu97
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM
why not get rid of band as well, and art, and drama... heck lunch takes up half of the day as well... ( i know over the top but...)

what you do not understand is if you take away some of that... kids do not go to school...

Haunta Yo
03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
if you take away some of that... kids do not go to school...

Coaches won't either.
Most of our coaches are great teachers, but if you take away an athletics class, they'll go work somewhere that has an athletic period or get out of education all together.