PDA

View Full Version : Tejano singer Navaira hurt in bus crash

Maroon87
03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
This wreck happened about 2 blocks from my office...

By CHRIS DUNCAN, Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON - Grammy-winning Tejano singer Emilio Navaira was critically injured when his band's bus crashed on a highway in the metro area, city and hospital officials said.

Navaira and his band Rio had performed at a Houston nightclub on Saturday night. At about 5 a.m. Sunday, the band's bus slammed into traffic barrels on Interstate 610 northbound in Bellaire, a well-to-do enclave within the city west of downtown Houston, Bellaire police Sgt. Daniel Kerr said.

Navaira was one of eight passengers on the bus who were injured, said Houston Assistant Fire Chief Omero Longoria. Navaira was listed in critical condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he was being treated in the intensive care unit, said hospital administrator Lisa Lagrone.

He had surgery Sunday to remove a blood clot in his head, said Joe Casias, his agent, who was at the hospital with the hospital.

"The next 24 hours are very critical," Casias said. "....on behalf of his family, we hope his fans will pray for Emilio."

Navaira remained in critical condition early Monday, said Casey Smith, the hospital's operations administrator.

The bus was the only vehicle involved, Kerr said. Initial news reports, based on video from traffic cameras at the scene, had said three vehicles were involved.

Navaira, 45, and Rio have released more than a dozen albums, including "Acuerdate" that won the 2003 Grammy for best Tejano album.

According to the band's Web site, Navaira was born in San Antonio and earned a music scholarship from Texas State. In 1989, he formed the band with brother Raul, who was among those who suffered minor injuries, two Houston television stations reported.

Five people were taken to Ben Taub Hospital, where their conditions were not immediately known, Longoria said. A hospital spokeswoman would not give out any information, citing health privacy laws.

Two others were treated at Memorial Hermann and released, Lagrone said.

DU_stud04
03-24-2008, 10:08 AM
man, thats crazy..... i had planned on going to his dance in dallas this past weekend or two but missed out on it. hope he get better

injuredinmelee
03-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Didnt he have a cross over song that was pretty popular?

Maroon87
03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Didnt he have a cross over song that was pretty popular?

Yeah...in the mid 90's. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Bull19
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
he used to play with david lee garza if my memory serves me correct

Phil C
03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
This is bad news. Prayers from Sinton for his complete recovery.

Bull19
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
i read that he has something like a 20% survival rate. hopefully he can pull through.

also a little f.y.i. their is supposed to be a news confrence this morning sometime, so hopefully we can get some good news soon

ToroChingon
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Lo siento mucho!

Ranger Mom
03-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Yeah...in the mid 90's. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

It's not the end of the World?

Maroon87
03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's not the end of the World?

Yep...that's it.

Ranger Mom
03-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Yep...that's it.

When the name finally came to me, I felt kinda bad........it may be the end of the world for him!!:(

ILS1
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
he used to play with david lee garza if my memory serves me correct

You are correct sir. I've seen him perform close to over 100 times thru the years!!! He always puts on a great show. Emilio and David Lee, in early 2000, they did a reunion show at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in front of over 70K fans!!! The past couple of years on Thanksgiving night in San Antonio. David Lee Garza performs with all his former singers including Emilio,Ram,Jay Perez, Oscar G and sometimes Marcos Orozco. Great fun,great times and great memories. Get well soon and a speedy recovery Emilio!!

:D :D :D

Bull19
03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
You are correct sir. I've seen him perform close to over 100 times thru the years!!! He always puts on a great show. Emilio and David Lee, in early 2000, they did a reunion show at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in front of over 70K fans!!! The past couple of years on Thanksgiving night in San Antonio. David Lee Garza performs with all his former singers including Emilio,Ram,Jay Perez, Oscar G and sometimes Marcos Orozco. Great fun,great times and great memories. Get well soon and a speedy recovery Emilio!!

david lee and his boy's are the bomb. i know billy his bajo player pretty well. pretty funny when he steps up to the mic and starts to sing tejano better than mexicans can. then when he's done with that he'll sing some george strait or something.

Antec
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
He's played at the Wharton County Youth Fair in Crescent before

Maroon87
03-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Antec
He's played at the Wharton County Youth Fair in Crescent before

I think he's probably played anywhere in Texas that has electricity...and probably a few that didn't.;)

gato 76
03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ILS1

I go to houston and see them whenever i can.That Jay Perez bad ass boy the guy can sing.

Bull19
03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Jay Perez bad ass boy the guy can sing.

they dont call him "the voice" for nothing

DU_stud04
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
they dont call him "the voice" for nothing ditto. i think the only voice out there that can kinda compete is jimmy gonzales. jay hands down though.... tejano music never gets old, i feel like i can go back and listen to the same songs from growing up and still enjoy them like they're new.

anyone have any updated news on emilio?

Bull19
03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/celebrities/5641425.html

interesting new info

pirate4state
03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
wow....wonder why he was driving?

Bull19
03-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
wow....wonder why he was driving?

if i had to make a bet, i'd say because he is too nice of a guy. im sure some of the guys in his band were tired, or maybe a little drunk so he volunteered to drive while they got some sleep.

so sad. prayers go out to him and his family

pirate4state
03-24-2008, 10:04 PM
i hope he makes a full recovery. scary.

gato 76
03-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
ditto. i think the only voice out there that can kinda compete is jimmy gonzales. jay hands down though.... tejano music never gets old, i feel like i can go back and listen to the same songs from growing up and still enjoy them like they're new.

anyone have any updated news on emilio?

I love to go to dances,i saw big jimmy at a club in houston called bb wolf's jimmy put on a good show like always.

Tenthehardway
03-24-2008, 10:20 PM
i feel like i can go back and listen to the same songs from growing up and still enjoy them like they're new.

I can listen to 100 different tejano songs and swear Ive been listening to same one over and over.

DU_stud04
03-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Tenthehardway
I can listen to 100 different tejano songs and swear Ive been listening to same one over and over. sounds like a yoooouuuu problem.....

Tenthehardway
03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
sounds like a yoooouuuu problem.....

Quite possibly. In response, read your signature :thumbsup:

DU_stud04
03-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Tenthehardway
Quite possibly. In response, read your signature :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ToroChingon
03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
I believe the term I'd use is TOUCHE!

Of course 'touche' is another one of those words in a different language so I'm sure it'll get deleted. To heck with the Bill of Rights.

DU_stud04
03-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
I believe the term I'd use is TOUCHE!

Of course 'touche' is another one of those words in a different language so I'm sure it'll get deleted. To heck with the Bill of Rights. speaking of touche.... there is this guy in one of my classes that sits in my area.....complete idiot. he doesnt know what touche means, but he seems to use it more than anyone i know. he'll try to say something witty, the look around and say "Can i get a touche?"

i think its hilarious.

ToroChingon
03-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are!

Ranger Mom
03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
speaking of touche.... there is this guy in one of my classes that sits in my area.....complete idiot. he doesnt know what touche means, but he seems to use it more than anyone i know. he'll try to say something witty, the look around and say "Can i get a touche?"

i think its hilarious.

LOL!!! I seem to use "touche" quite a bit....I know what it means though!!:D :D

Bull19
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5641425.html

pirate4state
03-25-2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5641425.html thanks for the update. sounds like if he pulls through he'll have a hell of a battle. :(

footballgal
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
another story

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5646919.html

JUST as an FYI, Emilo, Raulito & Yvette are my second cousins. I have to say it's hard to believe this has happened... it still hasn't sunk in. I haven't called dad to see how the family is doing, but like most close knit families, I am sure it's been VERY hard on them.

Ranger Mom
03-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
another story

JUST as an FYI, Emilo, Raulito & Yvette are my second cousins. I have to say it's hard to believe this has happened... it still hasn't sunk in. I haven't called dad to see how the family is doing, but like most close knit families, I am sure it's been VERY hard on them.

WOW! Keep us updated if you hear anything before we do, please.

My prayers are with your family!

pirate4state
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
another story

:( I'm sorry for your family Esmy. Keep us posted.

footballgal
03-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
WOW! Keep us updated if you hear anything before we do, please.

My prayers are with your family!

I will make it it a point to call him tonight and see if they know anymore then what the media is saying. btw, thanks for the thoughts and prayers, it's much appreciated.

footballgal
03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Those who are not familiar with his crossover album click on "Listen to all" and you can hear a sample of each song.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Good-Emilio/dp/B000002TW6/ref=pd_sim_m_img_1

Funny, how the single that was released was my not my favorite. There were a few that I liked better; Like "I think were on to something", "Life is Good" & "Even if I tried" were better IMO.

Bull19
03-26-2008, 01:27 PM
new update http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5648511.html

DU_stud04
03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
***update***

From Memorial Hermann-TMC
March 27, 2008 11:30 am
Emilio Navaira is slowly regaining consciousness. On the evening of March 26, Navaira opened his eyes and moved his arms and legs. While his condition has improved, he remains in critical condition at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center.

Phil C
03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
***update***

From Memorial Hermann-TMC
March 27, 2008 11:30 am
Emilio Navaira is slowly regaining consciousness. On the evening of March 26, Navaira opened his eyes and moved his arms and legs. While his condition has improved, he remains in critical condition at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center.

Hang in there Emilio and get better each day. We are pulling for you and you are in our prayers.

Bull19
04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
little update http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5665340.html

Panther One
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Love the sig, Bull!

Bull19
04-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Love the sig, Bull!

thanks:thumbsup: just another reason to love astros baseball

Antec
04-02-2008, 09:20 PM
He was scheduled to play for Wharton County Youth Fair in Crescent in May

footballgal
04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Emilo is now listed in fair condition from critical. He's moving his hands and feet and opens his eyes appears to be looking at his immediate family. It's just truly amazing that he has made it this far. A great blessing and I hope and pray he continues to recover, slowly but surely. (There will be a press conference tomorrow by doctors.
(I so much wish I could say the same thing about my sis)

Our great aunt Antonia, also from San Antonio, passed away this past weekend. She is the last of the Ramirez "Clan" and the oldest, she out lived all her brothers and sisters, including my grandpa and Emilo's Luz.
Sure have been trying times for our families.

pirate4state
04-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Emilo is now listed in fair condition from critical. He's moving his hands and feet and opens his eyes appears to be looking at his immediate family. It's just truly amazing that he has made it this far. A great blessing and I hope and pray he continues to recover, slowly but surely. (There will be a press conference tomorrow by doctors.
(I so much wish I could say the same thing about my sis)

Our great aunt Antonia, also from San Antonio, passed away this past weekend. She is the last of the Ramirez "Clan" and the oldest, she out lived all her brothers and sisters, including my grandpa and Emilo's Luz.
Sure have been trying times for our families.

Glad to hear he is improving & I'm very sorry about your loss.

It's been a very morbid month. :(

footballgal
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
thanks Rita