Caldwell(1-0) @ Giddings(1-0)
Smithville(0-1) @ Navasota(0-1)

Any predictions?

trg
03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Well I always pull for Bellville.

XMan
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Smithville/Navasota will be an extremely ugly game with Navasota winning but each team having as many walks allowed and errors against as runs scored.
Giddings/Caldwell should be a close game, team making fewest mistakes will win.
Bellville will beat LG in a low scoring contest. Bellville will attempt at least 30 pickoffs. First time LG has runners on 1st and 2nd, Bellville will have the 1st/3rd basemen charging and yelling bunt. Pitcher will then make an inside move to 2nd to try to pick off runner.

Go Brahmas

Buffgal
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm going with Giddings (I'm basing this on Buffs strong performances at the plate minus one game vs Rockdale. I think Giddings batting line up, all the way through 1-9, will be too much for Caldwell to overcome even w/good pitching from the Hornets)

Navasota (Rattlers are getting it together and will take advantage of any walks that Smithville gives them with great base running speed and a timely hit or two)

and La Grange (because they have home field advantage and I think that the Brahmas haven't quite gotten their bats going consistently and the Leps are due to finally pull a win together after several close games)

Bull19
03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Bellville will attempt at least 30 pickoffs. First time LG has runners on 1st and 2nd, Bellville will have the 1st/3rd basemen charging and yelling bunt. Pitcher will then make an inside move to 2nd to try to pick off runner.

Go Brahmas

you talk like you have seen games that coach cerny have coached at. haha. reading that just made my day.

XMan
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah Ive seen a few. lol. Forgot to mention that if the Brahmas are having trouble getting on base, they may 'accidentally' get hit a time or two. Whatever works.
Here is the "perfect" inning for the Brahmas at spacious Knight Field especially with a 30 mph south wind.
Leadoff leans in and gets hit in the elbow with a pitch.
2nd hitter squares around and gives fake bunt, rides pitch all the way to catcher's mitt, runner from first steals second. Next pitch, bunt runner to third.
3rd hitter hits routine grounder to short or second scoring runner from 3rd. Run scores without a basehit or a ball out of the infield and you still only have 2 outs!

HawkEye
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal
I'm going with Giddings (I'm basing this on Buffs strong performances at the plate minus one game vs Rockdale. I think Giddings batting line up, all the way through 1-9, will be too much for Caldwell to overcome even w/good pitching from the Hornets)

Navasota (Rattlers are getting it together and will take advantage of any walks that Smithville gives them with great base running speed and a timely hit or two)

and La Grange (because they have home field advantage and I think that the Brahmas haven't quite gotten their bats going consistently and the Leps are due to finally pull a win together after several close games)

Cory Ochs will be on the hill for the Hornets, who will pitch for the Buffalos? Giddings will no doubt get their hits tomorrow. But, Ochs has been the most consistent pitcher the Hornets have had. They are also coming off a 16-hit performance against two good LaGrange hurlers (Schuebert and Supak). It should be a great game.

buff4ever
03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to a good giddings/caldwell match up tonite. This is the early guess for top of the district if you ask me. Don't know if giddings has the pitching to be in the top two of district though. Time will tell, we will have to see if we live up to the expectations and maintain it through the second half of district.

Hurry up clock.

zebrablue2
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Smithville/Navasota will be an extremely ugly game with Navasota winning but each team having as many walks allowed and errors against as runs scored.
Giddings/Caldwell should be a close game, team making fewest mistakes will win.
Bellville will beat LG in a low scoring contest. Bellville will attempt at least 30 pickoffs. First time LG has runners on 1st and 2nd, Bellville will have the 1st/3rd basemen charging and yelling bunt. Pitcher will then make an inside move to 2nd to try to pick off runner.

Go Brahmas

you created that move didn't you X...

Bull19
03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
bellville beats la grange 7-2.

buff4life
03-25-2008, 09:54 PM
I think i heard Giddings beat Caldwell 9-7

Brahma84
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Bellville vs. LaGrange

Tallerine throws a no hitter. LaGrange's two runs came from two errors and a SAC fly.
Bellville left TOO MANY runners on again. We left a runner on third base the first 5 innings.

hookandladder
03-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Brahma84
Bellville vs. LaGrange

Tallerine throws a no hitter. LaGrange's two runs came from two errors and a SAC fly.
Bellville left TOO MANY runners on again. We left a runner on third base the first 5 innings.

Tallerine threw a good game as did Shubert for LG, as far as a no hitter that is questionable. The ball hit into right centerfield was going to be a tough play, I think some will give this a hit. The ball was hit really hard however back to the game, LG will have a long season if the coach continues with an all Senior lineup. LG has 3 sophmores and 4 if you count Shubert who pitched last night sitting on the bench. I thought it was funny last night between innings Shubert came out to warm up and a coach had to warm him up and LG has like 17 kids on Varsity, I guess all of them were chasing foul balls. Bellville has good pitching but will definitely struggle at the plate not to many good hitters in the lineup.

XMan
03-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Sounds to me that its time for hook and ladder to get his teaching certificate. It is very clear that he/she would do a much better job coaching than the present coach. Im sure that if hook and ladder ran the practices and made the lineup, the Leopards would be more successful. Hook, you can contact any region service center about emergency certification. Also, Im sorry your son was degraded by having to chase fouls, how dare LG want their $6 balls back when they leave the field.

hookandladder
03-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Sounds to me that its time for hook and ladder to get his teaching certificate. It is very clear that he/she would do a much better job coaching than the present coach. Im sure that if hook and ladder ran the practices and made the lineup, the Leopards would be more successful. Hook, you can contact any region service center about emergency certification. Also, Im sorry your son was degraded by having to chase fouls, how dare LG want their $6 balls back when they leave the field.

Do not have a son on the team, just an armchair coach for many years. Watched baseball in La Grange for a # of years, I am just saying our last coach was not afraid to play the younger players and the results are in the pudding. 2 State Championships in 4 years caming from playing kids early to get experience. 14 Seniors on Varsity does not make you a better when half of them never played varsity ball til this year. Did not know I needed a coaching certificate to be on this board. I assume you have one. Good for you.

Buffgal
03-26-2008, 08:06 AM
I've heard the frustration in La Grange of the senior lineup. I personally know two soph in La Grange who would get a lot of playing time on the Giddings varsity and possibly start for the Buffs but one plays JV for La Grange and the other sees little time on varsity. I'm not a coach but I do know their skills very well. My son played with them for several years on a select team that traveled lots and lots of miles and played in a lot of ballgames together. They are both capable of playing just about any position. Hey, I wonder if they wanna be a Buffalo?

In Giddings, we have the opposite scenario as La Grange. It doesn't matter what classification you are, only if you are a ballplayer. This creates some frustration with the upperclassmen but they start to come around when the team wins and they begin to understand the philosophy of fielding the best team. At the beginning there is some grumbling but, in the end, you start hearing the upperclassmen bragging about a hit or a great defensive play that the younger ones made. then the next comment is usually, "What are we gonna eat?".

Giddings varsity has 3 seniors, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores(three of these played varsity as freshman & three are in the heart of the batting order), 2 freshman.(one is our lead off hitter)

Starting lineup is 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophomores and 1 freshman. the other senior is mainly a pitcher and base runner, sometimes plays 1st base.
How's that for a bunch of youngsters!!!!

Keep it going Giddings. Bellville is waiting for ya.

Remember:
" Pitching, Hitting, Defense.
Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable."

Bull19
03-26-2008, 08:22 AM

Remember:

you forgot baserunning. the most underrated part of baseball

Bull19
03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Do not have a son on the team, just an armchair coach for many years. Watched baseball in La Grange for a # of years, I am just saying our last coach was not afraid to play the younger players and the results are in the pudding. 2 State Championships in 4 years caming from playing kids early to get experience. 14 Seniors on Varsity does not make you a better when half of them never played varsity ball til this year. Did not know I needed a coaching certificate to be on this board. I assume you have one. Good for you.

having Homer pitch for the team also helped out quite a bit.

LH Panther Mom
03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
I would think so! :) :clap:

warda
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I think you will see some shuffling in the defense if the younger kids can do the job. Don't know where they can play and if there is any infield help. Pitcher definitely threw good enough to win. Also, the large number of seniors on the varsity was not the coach's decision. He was told there was not to be any cuts. Puts him in a pretty tough situation. Also, the state championships were definitely well earned, taking nothing away from that group of great baseball players. But there are not many Homer Baileys, Schramms, Anderles, Hickles, Suliks, and the list goes on out there right now. Some of these kids look more interested about who's in the stands than what's happening on the field. Some are definitely not playing up to their potential. I think the program is run the right way, getting kids to accept responsibility and act right. This coach knows baseball and will put his players in a position to be successful. They have to make the plays.

Bull's-eye
03-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Tallerine threw a good game as did Shubert for LG, as far as a no hitter that is questionable. The ball hit into right centerfield was going to be a tough play, I think some will give this a hit.

I pulled this from the Chronicle website, they definately show Tallerine pitching a no-hitter. Also, doesn't the home team provide the official scorekeeper?
Boxscore
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Runs Hits Errors
Bellville 0 0 0 1 1 0 5 7 9 3
La Grange 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 2 0 5

Pitching
WP: Joe Tallerine.
LP: Derrick Schubert.

XMan
03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Warda, that is one of the most intelligent responses ive ever seen on there. That is the response of someone who knows a thing or two and is not just on here to bitch and moan. The talent that LG had when they won the 2 championships was totally amazing. A guy in Bailey who threw mid 90s and SEVERAL others that were legit mid 80s all the time. Just about everyone that played on those teams at least had the chance to play college or pro ball, simply amazing. One other thing, Buffgal brought up select ball. You cannot compare select ball to hs ball. In select ball, everyone gets to play cause its a pay to play deal. Also in select ball, there is usually a very specific age requirement, whereas in high school you could be competing against someone as much as 4 or maybe even 65 years older or younger than you in some instances.

good luck to all

XMan
03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Forgot one thing. Warda, sure wish the town of Warda still had their ball team. The battles between Warda and the Serbin Jackrabbits or the Winchester Rifles were flat out crazy. If you havent played a ball game at Serbin, you simply havent played a ballgame.

buff4life
03-26-2008, 12:52 PM

lol o yeah i bet so lol having faced him, ya it helped

buff4life
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Forgot one thing. Warda, sure wish the town of Warda still had their ball team. The battles between Warda and the Serbin Jackrabbits or the Winchester Rifles were flat out crazy. If you havent played a ball game at Serbin, you simply havent played a ballgame.

wow and i always considered you a foreigner, i can call you comrade now lol...

it thought there were only about 10 people to live "in" Warda and i'm best friends with one but they could field a damn good ball team, they are trying to get that league back together, last summer there were three teams, this year they're hoping for more

warda
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
XMan you must understand how good a beer tasted after a 3:00 game in late July on a Sunday afternoon in Serbin. Warda/Serbin rivalry was a lot of fun. A lot of good country baseball.

buff4life
03-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by warda
XMan you must understand how good a beer tasted after a 3:00 game in late July on a Sunday afternoon in Serbin. Warda/Serbin rivalry was a lot of fun. A lot of good country baseball.

on some good country farmland :D

HTripleC13
03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
BULL19!!!!!!!! Sup? Long time no talk.... How's everything with them brahmas?

hookandladder
03-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I've heard the frustration in La Grange of the senior lineup. I personally know two soph in La Grange who would get a lot of playing time on the Giddings varsity and possibly start for the Buffs but one plays JV for La Grange and the other sees little time on varsity. I'm not a coach but I do know their skills very well. My son played with them for several years on a select team that traveled lots and lots of miles and played in a lot of ballgames together. They are both capable of playing just about any position. Hey, I wonder if they wanna be a Buffalo?

In Giddings, we have the opposite scenario as La Grange. It doesn't matter what classification you are, only if you are a ballplayer. This creates some frustration with the upperclassmen but they start to come around when the team wins and they begin to understand the philosophy of fielding the best team. At the beginning there is some grumbling but, in the end, you start hearing the upperclassmen bragging about a hit or a great defensive play that the younger ones made. then the next comment is usually, "What are we gonna eat?".

Giddings varsity has 3 seniors, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores(three of these played varsity as freshman & three are in the heart of the batting order), 2 freshman.(one is our lead off hitter)

Starting lineup is 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophomores and 1 freshman. the other senior is mainly a pitcher and base runner, sometimes plays 1st base.
How's that for a bunch of youngsters!!!!

Keep it going Giddings. Bellville is waiting for ya.

Remember:

I agree with you 100%, also Coach Marlow is a good really good coach. Coached his son in summer ball, great kid still see him some. It's hard for some people on this board when you make comments about a High School coach, I know personally if you are going to coach any sport you have to be able to take the good with the bad. Every good coach understands this and is willing to do so. Yes, I will agree it was great to have Homer on our side however I can defintely tell you with both State Championship teams we beat some great pitchers to win State. The kid from Iowa Park was drafted very high by the Yankees and also the kid from Forney. Both of whom have already made it to the big leagues, so don't give me that crap that we won mainly because of Homer. Baseball is the ultimate team game. Buffgal hope your son continues to do well, talk to you at the LG-Giddings game.

trg
03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Way to go to the Bulls. Wish I could have been there.

Good luck on Saturday vs. Giddings!!!!

buff4ever
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
not to take anything away from our boys, but caldwell is not a top 2 team in district, at least not the way they looked last night. We gave up some unnecessary runs as did they. Quite frankly neither team played like a top 2 team in district, but giddings had more moments than caldwell.

All in all, congrats giddings, keep it going. You have a better team in bellville in my opinion this weekend, and it is on their turf. Keep the bats going.

Bull19
03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree with you 100%, also Coach Marlow is a good really good coach. Coached his son in summer ball, great kid still see him some. It's hard for some people on this board when you make comments about a High School coach, I know personally if you are going to coach any sport you have to be able to take the good with the bad. Every good coach understands this and is willing to do so. Yes, I will agree it was great to have Homer on our side however I can defintely tell you with both State Championship teams we beat some great pitchers to win State. The kid from Iowa Park was drafted very high by the Yankees and also the kid from Forney. Both of whom have already made it to the big leagues, so don't give me that crap that we won mainly because of Homer. Baseball is the ultimate team game. Buffgal hope your son continues to do well, talk to you at the LG-Giddings game.

dont try to put words in our mouth supak. nobody said that la grange won state only because homer. if you cant admit he was a major contributer to the team though than you cleary have problems. their were some very good players on that team, but homer WAS the driving force behind those state championships. PERIOD

hookandladder
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
dont try to put words in our mouth supak. nobody said that la grange won state only because homer. if you cant admit he was a major contributer to the team though than you cleary have problems. their were some very good players on that team, but homer WAS the driving force behind those state championships. PERIOD

Supak is a friend of mind however I don't think he has time to talk on this board, not putting words in anyones mouth. I know he was a major contributer to the team and I think highly of Homer and wish him the very best, he also played on our select teams. When he makes it back up to the majors( hopefully this season) I will look forward to going to watch him pitch. Maybe if you went to all the playoff games during their run to State, you would understand what I am saying. I do not know who you are but I am sure Mr. Supak would not appreciate you thinking I am him and talking about him on this board. You will need to start scratching your head again.

Brahma84
03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I was checking scores on-line and the Bryan College Station Eagle had Navasota 1 Smithville 3. Is that score right? I have not seen the score on here yet. They didn't have any write-up, just the score.

buff4life
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Brahma84
I was checking scores on-line and the Bryan College Station Eagle had Navasota 1 Smithville 3. Is that score right? I have not seen the score on here yet. They didn't have any write-up, just the score.

who knows all of the 08 boys seemed to have disappeared from the board, maybe they could give us some insight

Buffgal
03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
One other thing, Buffgal brought up select ball. You cannot compare select ball to hs ball. In select ball, everyone gets to play cause its a pay to play deal. Also in select ball, there is usually a very specific age requirement, whereas in high school you could be competing against someone as much as 4 or maybe even 65 years older or younger than you in some instances.

I brought up select ball because it shows that the kid has played lots of games and been exposed to alot of baseball. The select ball you have been in may have been "pay to play" deal but my son and the La Grange two that I referred to had to try out for this team, 45 boys for 12 spots. When you made the team, you paid. Those two in La Grange were never on the bench. We mostly played within our age limitations because after we smoked some teams they wouldn't let us play up in older tournaments. When you begin to compete at the high school level, they need a few games or even a year of varsity to get them up to the faster pace (just like in football) but, if you pick the right select ball program, you become a ballplayer because you are capable of making the plays or you wouldn't be on the team. AND let me emphasize, then you Pay because I am considerably broker because of baseball.

hookandladder
03-27-2008, 06:19 AM
One other thing, Buffgal brought up select ball. You cannot compare select ball to hs ball. In select ball, everyone gets to play cause its a pay to play deal. Also in select ball, there is usually a very specific age requirement, whereas in high school you could be competing against someone as much as 4 or maybe even 65 years older or younger than you in some instances.

I brought up select ball because it shows that the kid has played lots of games and been exposed to alot of baseball. The select ball you have been in may have been "pay to play" deal but my son and the La Grange two that I referred to had to try out for this team, 45 boys for 12 spots. When you made the team, you paid. Those two in La Grange were never on the bench. We mostly played within our age limitations because after we smoked some teams they wouldn't let us play up in older tournaments. When you begin to compete at the high school level, they need a few games or even a year of varsity to get them up to the faster pace (just like in football) but, if you pick the right select ball program, you become a ballplayer because you are capable of making the plays or you wouldn't be on the team. AND let me emphasize, then you Pay because I am considerably broker because of baseball.

Right again Buffgal, my son plays for a Select team. His coach is a former major league player who also coached in the minors and the money we pay does not guarantee any playing time. We play on the major level in select ball, I will say there are a lot of select teams that play on the AA and AAA level that are your basic daddy ball. You have to find the right team for your kid but select ball can help develop your kid faster to play at a higher level. As far as playing against kids that are older than you, I will say when you are younger you may struggle however once in high school it is not a big factor. I have seen many freshmen and sophmore compete against older kids with no problem. Most parents who are against select ball have kids that cannot compete at the hgihest level.

Buffgal
03-27-2008, 07:34 AM
After reading through these posts, I realized that one point needs to be cleared.

I was comparing the team selection of La Grange to Giddings philosophy and what I needed to say was this. You can never make everybody happy. You either disappoint an upperclassmen or you make the younger ones wait a few years.

As far as the La Grange coach being told not to cut anybody. There is a difference in not cutting anybody and only playing upperclassmen. So he must have been told who to play also. AND before anyone jumps me on getting my teaching certificate/coaching license, I'm fine with whatever any team or coach does including my own kid's. I only worry about what we eat after the game and getting the stains out of the uniform. I have several really good Leopard friends (made thru baseball, by the way) and I hope they can get it together. Preferably, though, after the Buffs play them (just kidding, kinda)

Another thing I would be interested to know. La Grange (and Bellville) has always impressed me in the the number of kids who come out for baseball. Giddings doesn't. I think we had about 29 show up and now we have 26 on JV/Varsity.

How do the numbers look for other schools in our district and does your program have a try out/cut program?

hookandladder
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
After reading through these posts, I realized that one point needs to be cleared.

I was comparing the team selection of La Grange to Giddings philosophy and what I needed to say was this. You can never make everybody happy. You either disappoint an upperclassmen or you make the younger ones wait a few years.

As far as the La Grange coach being told not to cut anybody. There is a difference in not cutting anybody and only playing upperclassmen. So he must have been told who to play also. AND before anyone jumps me on getting my teaching certificate/coaching license, I'm fine with whatever any team or coach does including my own kid's. I only worry about what we eat after the game and getting the stains out of the uniform. I have several really good Leopard friends (made thru baseball, by the way) and I hope they can get it together. Preferably, though, after the Buffs play them (just kidding, kinda)

Another thing I would be interested to know. La Grange (and Bellville) has always impressed me in the the number of kids who come out for baseball. Giddings doesn't. I think we had about 29 show up and now we have 26 on JV/Varsity.

How do the numbers look for other schools in our district and does your program have a try out/cut program?

You hit the nail on the head, I was told at the first of the baseball season by a board member that the Super told the coach he was not to cut any Seniors. This was old news, the fact that he is playing all seniors in the field looks as if he is being told to who to play also. With all the errors our Seniors are making in the field you would think it's time to give the young ones their shot and also gain valueable experience for next year. But I guess this decision is not up to him. Might be pressure from parents and he does not want to go there.

Bull19
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
who knows all of the 08 boys seemed to have disappeared from the board, maybe they could give us some insight

smithville did beat navasota the other night. on the 3abaseball site it has navasota listed with a 4-10 record.

buff4life
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
smithville did beat navasota the other night. on the 3abaseball site it has navasota listed with a 4-10 record.

wow district co champs or whatever they were to district cellar dweller

giddingsblazer2
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
no doubt....and i thought smithville was the districts whipping boy....they always have been my 2 and a half years of high school