PDA

View Full Version : Avg. number of plays before a mistake

bleedgreen
10-31-2002, 07:04 PM
How many teams do you know that can drive 80 yards in 14 plays and not make a mistake? Every time a team runs a play, there's the possibility of a turnover or a penalty they may force a punt. Is this the reason why Celina is so good? Do they grind the yardage out without an explosive backfield? Do the players have extreme discipline and not make mistakes? Do all the linemen make their blocking assignments each and every time? How do you beat a team like that? I say the average team can't run more than 9 or 10 plays in a row without making a mistake. If special teams kickoff and can stop the return at the 20 yard line, there are theoretically 8 first downs that will have to be made. I say the more explosive the offense running fewer plays, the fewer the mistakes, and the higher the odds of scoring.

PPHSfan
10-31-2002, 07:12 PM
It is all about Discipline, Execution, and Teamwork. If all eleven players execute each play exactly as it has been drawn up, on each and every play, success is inevitable. Give me clock control and discipline over explosions any day. The team that keeps their offense on the field, and their defense resting wins in the long run almost every time.

slpybear the bullfan
10-31-2002, 11:11 PM
Guys, it all depends on the defense you are playing. You can play mistake-free, execute well, but if the defense has better atheletes or executes better, or the coach calls the right play, then you can be stopped.

IMHO, a better way to state the same ideas would be, Teams that play with the fewest mistakes have a better chance of winning.