PDA

View Full Version : Jericho Nuked by CBS...again

Maroon87
03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
By Gina Serpe
Fri Mar 21, 6:40 AM PDT

Aw, (pea)nuts.

Despite getting a fan- (and legume-) powered reprieve, CBS has given the heave-ho to Jericho.

The latest—and likely final—cancellation of the apocalyptic series came Friday, after CBS execs determined the resurrected series had not generated big enough ratings. The season/series finale will air Tuesday night.

"Without question, there are passionate viewers watching this program; we simply wish there were more," said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler. "We thank an engaged and spirited fan base for keeping the show alive this long, and an outstanding team of producers, cast and crew that went through creative hoops to deliver a compelling, high-quality second season.

"We have no regrets bringing the show back for a second try. We listened to our viewers, gave the series an opportunity to grow, and the producers put a great story on the screen. We're proud of everyone's efforts."

However, in what's no doubt an attempt to ward off another 25-ton delivery of peanuts to the network's New York and Los Angeles offices, the Hollywood Reporter claims that two potential endings for the series were filmed, and the one chosen for air isn't as definitive as it could have been.

Per the Reporter, the selected ending won't necessarily preclude the series from coming back to the airwaves, albeit on cable, if at all.

Last June, Tassler, in the wake of the enthusiastic peanut-sending campaign that has already gone down in the annals of TV fandom, ordered a seven-episode second season of the show, hailing the overwhelmingly persuasive nature of sending the nuts—an idea borne from a line in the inaugural season's finale—but warned that "for there to be more Jericho, we will need more viewers."

Unfortunately, follow-through doesn't appear to be Jericho fans' strong suit. The show has continually been on the losing end of the Nielsen fight since its relaunch last month.

Jericho averaged 6.8 million viewers through its first five episodes. in the neighborhood of other CBS un-favorites like Viva Laughlin (6.5 million—for one episode) and Welcome to the Captain (6.3 million). Last season, when it got canceled the first time, Jericho averaged 9.2 million for a 23-episode season.

That's a loss of nearly 2.5 million viewers, or 26 percent of its audience. Most every show is down this year, but that's even worse than usual.

Jericho does, however, continue to be a bankable hit online, both as one of CBS' Innertube's most-watched shows and as an iTunes performer. The second-season premiere sold more than 700,000 copies, making it one of iTunes' most downloaded shows.

Emerson1
03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I think this show had the most faithful following of fans ever. I have seen complete outrage all of the places I have read about it.

Do they not film episodes weeks in advance? They should just not show their cut down finally and release the episodes online or let sci fi air them.

DU_stud04
03-23-2008, 05:58 PM
i found this sad news out yesterday. i think we should send nukes instead of peanuts this time. :D

:(:bigcry:

Maroon87
03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think this show had the most faithful following of fans ever. I have seen complete outrage all of the places I have read about it.

Do they not film episodes weeks in advance? They should just not show their cut down finally and release the episodes online or let sci fi air them.

I agree. A cable network needs to pick this show up, like Sci-Fi or maybe FX. I think if they gave it another full season in a good time slot they'd see the ratings improve. That's what was done with Seinfeld and The X Files.

I guess this gives CBS an excuse to create yet another CSI spinoff...

Maroon87
03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i found this sad news out yesterday. i think we should send nukes instead of peanuts this time. :D

:(:bigcry:

No doubt...this season's episodes were much more intense than last year. I mean every week was a bigger shock than the week before.

DU_stud04
03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
No doubt...this season's episodes were much more intense than last year. I mean every week was a bigger shock than the week before. i know.... kinda felt it was going to be canceled when i looked up the viewing ratings a few weeks ago. i certainly dont want it to end right now, i feel there is way too much story to go.

Emerson1
03-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree. A cable network needs to pick this show up, like Sci-Fi or maybe FX. I think if they gave it another full season in a good time slot they'd see the ratings improve. That's what was done with Seinfeld and The X Files.

I read it's to expensive of a show for cable outlets to pick it up.

They were to soft last season, if it was as intense last season as it was now it would of had a better chance.

But really not many shows survive now unless they are comedies, reality, CSI or Lost.

crzyjournalist03
03-24-2008, 09:34 AM

CSI: Laguna Beach High starts filming next month!

JasperDog94
03-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I guess this gives CBS an excuse to create yet another CSI spinoff... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jason1725
03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Neilson boxes are like Bigfoot, everyone knows someone who knows someone who has seen one but nobody has ever seen one themselves.

LH Panther Mom
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Jason1725
Neilson boxes are like Bigfoot, everyone knows someone who knows someone who has seen one but nobody has ever seen one themselves.
I have. What a pain in the rear!

Sweetwater Red
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I have. What a pain in the rear!

How do they work? I change the channel everytime a commercial come on.
They wouldn't be able to keep up with me.:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
How do they work? I change the channel everytime a commercial come on.
They wouldn't be able to keep up with me.:thinking:
First, the dudes run cable to all your tv's, under the carpet (without putting it back properly), take any equipment (tv's, vcr's, etc) apart and do some :nerd: :nerd: stuff and soldering to them. Oh, and don't even consider getting a new something without calling them immediately (including holidays).

If I remember right, the actual rating info was through the phone lines in the middle of the night. And if for some unknown reason, "they" could not get through at 2:00 a.m., then you got to listen to the live person the next day wondering why.

:doh: (My carpet still isn't right and they pulled their stuff about 4 years ago. :mad: )

JasperDog94
03-24-2008, 01:32 PM
With the ability of Tivo and similar DVRs to monitor what you watch, I'm surprised that they don't use that information. That would be a better judge of what people are watching...IMO.

LH Panther Mom
03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
With the ability of Tivo and similar DVRs to monitor what you watch, I'm surprised that they don't use that information. That would be a better judge of what people are watching...IMO.
At the time (this was probably 2001), they didn't want households with dvr's. Part of the reason (IMO) is that networks stations use the ratings to set rates for advertisers.

JasperDog94
03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
At the time (this was probably 2001), they didn't want households with dvr's. Part of the reason is that networks stations use the ratings to set rates for advertisers. Right, but now they can get a much broader analysis, so I don't understand why they don't?

SWMustang
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Right, but now they can get a much broader analysis, so I don't understand why they don't?

2 reasons why DVR's weren't included in 2001

1) They weren't in enough homes to develop the technology to meter them.

2) The advertisers hadn't come to an agreement on how they wanted the data to be credited.

DVR's are metered today.

LH Panther Mom
03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Right, but now they can get a much broader analysis, so I don't understand why they don't?
Demographics I'm sure plays a part. They (Nielsen) provide next-day information to the industry, so the "delay" may be another reason. Or maybe global warming/cooling...... ;)

I understand just enough of the entire process to be dangerous, but never had the media-side training to have enough knowledge to answer.

LH Panther Mom
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
2 reasons why DVR's weren't included in 2001

1) They weren't in enough homes to develop the technology to meter them.

2) The advertisers hadn't come to an agreement on how they wanted the data to be credited.

DVR's are metered today.
You know more than me, then. :)

And for the record, I have no problems with Nielsen. :)

JasperDog94
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Or maybe global warming/cooling...... ;)

I knew it!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: