PDA

View Full Version : Abilene peeps

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Can someone tell me the best option for breakfast on a Saturday morning? I see there's IHOP & Denny's, but we are kind of boycotting Dennys. Any other options for "good" breakfast with decent service (i.e. seated, served and finished) in 30 or 45 minutes?

thewyliefan
03-22-2008, 04:36 PM
the dixie pig on south 14th

i love that place

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Did it used to be (or still is) a donut shop? I might be confused, but the location sounds right. Of course, that was 1977-78. :doh:

How big of a pain in the rear would it be to get there from Super 8 on I-20, then back to the Expo Center before 8:30 on Saturday?

thewyliefan
03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Did it used to be (or still is) a donut shop? I might be confused, but the location sounds right. Of course, that was 1977-78. :doh:

How big of a pain in the rear would it be to get there from Super 8 on I-20, then back to the Expo Center before 8:30 on Saturday?

no i dont think it was ever a donut shop

and if you know where mcmurry university is....its right down the street

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
no i dont think it was ever a donut shop

and if you know where mcmurry university is....its right down the street
Most definitely! I can get around Abilene pretty well, although it's been a few years since I've done much more than drive through. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully we'll have time to check it out!

GreenMonster
03-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Most definitely! I can get around Abilene pretty well, although it's been a few years since I've done much more than drive through. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully we'll have time to check it out! It's so easy to get around there. Most of the east/west streets are numbered and divided by north/south by the railroad tracks. So that there are two 1st Streets, one north and one south etc. Expo Center is easy to find as well. It's only 2 or 3 blocks north of the railroad and right in the middle of downtown. You can come in on Treadway (from the north) and follow it to the "Y" in the road stay right and it will take you right to where you want to be. Plus you are within 15 blocks of Joe Allens so you can stop by and have a steak on the way home!

STANG RED
03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It's so easy to get around there. Most of the east/west streets are numbered and divided by north/south by the railroad tracks. So that there are two 1st Streets, one north and one south etc. Expo Center is easy to find as well. It's only 2 or 3 blocks north of the railroad and right in the middle of downtown. You can come in on Treadway (from the north) and follow it to the "Y" in the road stay right and it will take you right to where you want to be. Plus you are within 15 blocks of Joe Allens so you can stop by and have a steak on the way home!

:confused: Maybe I'm confused, but I think the "Expo Center" is actually the coliseum in the fair grounds next to Shotwell stadium on 36 or east south 11th, across from Nelson Park. The City Auditorium and Convention Center are on Pine St. downtown Abilene. I think Pine and North 7th.

nobogey72
03-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Cracker Barrel is on I20 and 351 pretty close to ACU. Or ya'll could run by here and I could get my ol lady to whoop you up something.:inlove:

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
:confused: Maybe I'm confused, but I think the "Expo Center" is actually the coliseum in the fair grounds next to Shotwell stadium on 36 or east south 11th, across from Nelson Park. The City Auditorium and Convention Center are on Pine St. downtown Abilene. I think Pine and North 7th.
Yeah, we'll be on 36. I knew what GM was talking about sort of, so at least I didn't get confused or I would've been in trouble. :eek: :eek: :D

GreenMonster
03-22-2008, 07:34 PM
ooops! I had my venues mixed up. :o Oh well. At least everyone knows where they are going still!

STANG RED
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM

From there Denny's is really one of your best choices, but there is a new Cracker Barrel in front of the new WalMart on I-20 & 351, just east of the Super 8 a couple miles. The next exit east of there is for Loop 322, which is your best way to go to the Expo Center from I-20. Just head south till you get to 36, exit and head west into town. It'll be on your left less than 1/4 of a mile.

STANG RED
03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Cracker Barrel is on I20 and 351 pretty close to ACU. Or ya'll could run by here and I could get my ol lady to whoop you up something.:inlove:

Yea but moon pies and big red are a pretty sorry excuse for breakfast.:D

Antec
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
The Monument Cafe in Georgetown has the best breakfast anywhere

everything is made from scratch

bisquits, cornbread-- hash browns

even fresh squeezed orange juice

http://www.themonumentcafe.com/

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 09:56 PM
From there Denny's is really one of your best choices, but there is a new Cracker Barrel in front of the new WalMart on I-20 & 351, just east of the Super 8 a couple miles. The next exit east of there is for Loop 322, which is your best way to go to the Expo Center from I-20. Just head south till you get to 36, exit and head west into town. It'll be on your left less than 1/4 of a mile.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not Denny's! Our last 3 attempts at various locations have been bad.

I've never done Cracker Barrel for breakfast, but that might be a good choice. Suffice it to say that if my husband had made reservations when we knew we'd be needing them (i.e. when I suggested he do so), then we would've had a hotel that provided breakfast, other than continental. I have no problems with that, but my dad wants the real deal. ;)

wyliegrad04
03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
what are you here in Abilene for?

my favorite breakfast spot is by far the dixie pig, good food, good portions, and very very reasonable.

second favorite would probably be the tye truck stop, not flying js, but the actual tye truck stop. good omelettes out there.

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
what are you here in Abilene for?

my favorite breakfast spot is by far the dixie pig, good food, good portions, and very very reasonable.

second favorite would probably be the tye truck stop, not flying js, but the actual tye truck stop. good omelettes out there.
Tye's WAAAAAAY out of the way for us. (I like to get coffee at Flying J on the way to Lubbock.)

State PL meet is this coming Saturday and my son is competing. My "instructions" from my dad were to get a hotel serving "breakfast" :doh: but they were all booked, so I was looking for another option.

kepdawg
03-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Go to Dennys!

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Go to Dennys!
Left, right? :p

Seriously.....our last attempt was pretty much a disaster and my dad was there. :doh: I can't even mention it to him. (He's old and crotchety.....what can I say? ;) )

STANG RED
03-22-2008, 11:01 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not Denny's! Our last 3 attempts at various locations have been bad.

I've never done Cracker Barrel for breakfast, but that might be a good choice. Suffice it to say that if my husband had made reservations when we knew we'd be needing them (i.e. when I suggested he do so), then we would've had a hotel that provided breakfast, other than continental. I have no problems with that, but my dad wants the real deal. ;)

There is also a motel (Whitten Inn I think) on the I-20 acces road on the other side of 351 that has a restaurant that serves a pretty good breakfast. But Cracker Barrel will probably be the fastest service, especially if you tell them you are in a hurry. Try their ham. It's momma slappin good.

GreenMonster
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Left, right? :p

Seriously.....our last attempt was pretty much a disaster and my dad was there. :doh: I can't even mention it to him. (He's old and crotchety.....what can I say? ;) ) So, what exactly was his response when God gave him the Commandments anyway? :devil:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to be BAD!!!!

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 11:06 PM
There is also a motel (Whitten Inn I think) on the I-20 acces road on the other side of 351 that has a restaurant that serves a pretty good breakfast. But Cracker Barrel will probably be the fastest service, especially if you tell them you are in a hurry. Try their ham. It's momma slappin good.
The Whitten Inn might be our best bet! We tried to get reservations, but uhm, yeah....... :doh: :doh:

Thanks to all! At least we have options now. I'm still sad that Hot Dog Castle stopped serving onion sticks. :(

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
So, what exactly was his response when God gave him the Commandments anyway? :devil:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to be BAD!!!!
ROFL! I had to think about that one. :p

slingshot
03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I second the Dixie Pig... you think you've walked through a time warp when you walk in but the food is good and service is fast, prices plenty reasonable! My favorite breakfast spot... unless you like a good Mexican breakfast--burritos (about a hundred different ones), pastries, etc--then go to La Popular on North Pine just south of Hendrick Hospital. Very good!

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by slingshot
I second the Dixie Pig... you think you've walked through a time warp when you walk in but the food is good and service is fast, prices plenty reasonable! My favorite breakfast spot... unless you like a good Mexican breakfast--burritos (about a hundred different ones), pastries, etc--then go to La Popular on North Pine just south of Hendrick Hospital. Very good!
Oooh, that sounds good, too!

Stang Red, I've only been to Cracker Barrel once, and not for breakfast, but another good option I'm thinking.

Sweetwater Red
03-23-2008, 11:34 AM

We ate at the Denny's in Abilene after leaving the Snyder/Celina
game. Our food and service was good but they totally screwed
up the elderly couples order that were sitting next to us.

I mean they asked for ham and got sausage, They asked for
hashbrowns and got grits. They asked for coffee and milk. :doh:

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
We ate at the Denny's in Abilene after leaving the Snyder/Celina
game. Our food and service was good but they totally screwed
up the elderly couples order that were sitting next to us.

I mean they asked for ham and got sausage, They asked for
hashbrowns and got grits. They asked for coffee and milk. :doh:
I've been to Denny's 4 times in the past 18 years. First time was in Roswell in mid-August and their AC was broken. :( The next two times were in Cedar Park. After standing 15 minutes to get seated in a relatively empty (20-25% of tables had folks), we walked out BOTH times. :dispntd: The last time was in Temple before we played Robinson. It was sort of busy, but not full. We finally got waited on. From the time we got seated, it took a little over an hour to get our food. This was while people around us were ordering, getting their food and leaving. We had to tell them to make it to go, and they had not even begun cooking it at that point. :speech:

Sweetwater Red
03-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been to Denny's 4 times in the past 18 years. First time was in Roswell in mid-August and their AC was broken. :( The next two times were in Cedar Park. After standing 15 minutes to get seated in a relatively empty (20-25% of tables had folks), we walked out BOTH times. :dispntd: The last time was in Temple before we played Robinson. It was sort of busy, but not full. We finally got waited on. From the time we got seated, it took a little over an hour to get our food. This was while people around us were ordering, getting their food and leaving. We had to tell them to make it to go, and they had not even begun cooking it at that point. :speech:

Whataburger has a long wait here. You can go in there and the
place be empty and one car in the drive-thru. You still wait
fifteen minutes for your order.:(

nobogey72
03-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Yea but moon pies and big red are a pretty sorry excuse for breakfast.:D

I agree. That's why she generally fries up some Spam to go with it. :inlove: