A 7th grade boy from East Bernard has these marks

Long jump 20'2"

Triple jump-39'8"

110 meter hurdles-16.21

300 hurdles-42.16

injuredinmelee
03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
He should move to Celina.

The long jump mark... you sure your not being a smartie pants?

GreenMonster
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
As a coach, I am just wondering where everyone is getting all of these times and results for 7th graders? I couldn't tell you what any of my 7th graders run in the 100. I don't really care at this point. All I care about is that they are in track competing to get better for their future. There are ZERO State Champions at the 7th grade level, only kids with bright futures. If a kid can run now odds are that he/she will be able to run when he/she gets older. I will put a clock on them and pay attention when that time comes. Until then, I just tell 'em to go win!

bigwood33
03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
GreenMonster, I understand what you are saying and I generally agree but my youngest son is an 8th grader so I see quite a lot of middle school track meets. There is an 8th grader at Celina who went over 20' last year and 11.6 in the 100m. He is also very tough on the football field., tailback and safety. I am quite sure Coach Ford knows what he is doing....of course coach Ford also has an 8th grader!;)

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
As a coach, I am just wondering where everyone is getting all of these times and results for 7th graders? I couldn't tell you what any of my 7th graders run in the 100.

Skye Green won the gold medal in the 100 meters at the state track meet a few years ago.

If you ask any poster from Sweetwater what he ran in the
100 meters his 7th grade year they can tell you.:thinking:

9.28 :D

hawkfan
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
As a coach, I am just wondering where everyone is getting all of these times and results for 7th graders? I couldn't tell you what any of my 7th graders run in the 100. I don't really care at this point. All I care about is that they are in track competing to get better for their future. There are ZERO State Champions at the 7th grade level, only kids with bright futures. If a kid can run now odds are that he/she will be able to run when he/she gets older. I will put a clock on them and pay attention when that time comes. Until then, I just tell 'em to go win!

I agree. They are out there learning the basics. They learn them now so they can have success. I once had a parent tell me that I didn't care about winning at the Jr. High level. The truth is I don't care at the junior high level. They learn the basics in junior high so they can have tons of success in high school. These young men mentioned in this thread should be proud of their feats. But alot can happen between now and high school. They might be superior athletes in high school, or they might have already peaked and everybody else will catch up to them in high school. They just need to be out there competing. They say track is a dying sport in Texas. I hope not, but any kid out on the track is having success, even if they don't bring home ribbons every week.

Antec
03-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Track is a non pressure individual sport

It each kid's skills and of course he or she have to love track-

It's self motivation

The meets are in relaxed at atmosphere where kids can interact with his peers from other schools.

While smaller schools A-2A emphaize sharing athletes more come out

I know for a fact some A an d 2A schools have more kids out for track then some 3A and 4A.

At least in some areas

Needville definitely has more kids out, boys and girls in 24-3A.

kepdawg
03-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Antec

It's self motivation

The meets are in relaxed at atmosphere where kids can interact with his peers from other schools.

I know for a fact some A an d 2A schools have more kids out for track then some 3A and 4A.

At least in some areas

Non pressure? :confused:

GreenMonster
03-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Antec

It's self motivation

At least in some areas

I'm at a 2A school and we pressure the kids to participate in track. Why? We know what the benefits are from having a large track team. Kids get faster simply by going out there and trying to run faster. Kids get tougher by pushing themselves to make the time set for them even after having run 5 or 6 back to back 200's or 400's. Another of the great things you get from track is comraderie. When you take every athlete in your program to a track meet they spend a lot of time together and they cheer each other on throughout the track meet building bonds that can't be formed if you only take 10 kids to a meet. Another reason we take a ton of kids to meets is because we can enter 3 people in every event boosting our chances of earning points. Winning is contagious and if you can win a track meet simply by getting points out of races and events that no one else is entered then go for it. A win is a win. We need the confidence.

Ranger Mom
03-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Skye Green won the gold medal in the 100 meters at the state track meet a few years ago.

If you ask any poster from Sweetwater what he ran in the
100 meters his 7th grade year they can tell you.:thinking:

9.28 :D

A few years ago???

I could have sworn is was just last year....less that one year ago!!:thinking:

Tenthehardway
03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm at a 2A school and we pressure the kids to participate in track. Why? We know what the benefits are from having a large track team. Kids get faster simply by going out there and trying to run faster. Kids get tougher by pushing themselves to make the time set for them even after having run 5 or 6 back to back 200's or 400's. Another of the great things you get from track is comraderie. When you take every athlete in your program to a track meet they spend a lot of time together and they cheer each other on throughout the track meet building bonds that can't be formed if you only take 10 kids to a meet. Another reason we take a ton of kids to meets is because we can enter 3 people in every event boosting our chances of earning points. Winning is contagious and if you can win a track meet simply by getting points out of races and events that no one else is entered then go for it. A win is a win. We need the confidence.

Small schools are generally more competitve in track. Im at a 5a school, and you see very few top athletes at 5a meets. The top athletes usually have one sport that they excell at, and they work at that sport year round. So, at 5a meets you usually have the average athletes, and then the kids who run track year round.
Im all for kids competiting, but simply running track doesn't increase speed. There are many other ways to increase speed that are much more effective and more exclusive to football.
Green, are you at City View?

kepdawg
03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
A few years ago???

You mean last May isn't a few years ago?

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
A few years ago???

Okay, already! After last season, it seems like that class has
been gone for a couple a years. I was wrong.

University of Texas
UIL State Track & Field Meet - 5/11/2007 to 5/12/2007
Mike A. Myers Stadium

Event 310 Boys 100 Meter Dash 3A
================================================== ==========================
National: ! 10.15 1990 Henry Neal, Greenville, TX
State: + 10.14 1990 Henry Neal, Greenville
Conf 3A: * 10.26 2002 DaBryan Blanton, Forney
Name Year School Finals Wind Points
================================================== ==========================
Finals
1 Skye Green Sweetwater 10.49 0.2 10