PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City VS Newton

classof 85
10-30-2001, 09:37 AM
This Friday night two teams with loads of talent on either side will take the field for the right to represent District 21-3A as the Champion and the other being the runner-up.
Either of these teams will be worthy of the champion lable but only one can walk away with it.I honestly believe this will be a 3 point ball game either way,with whoever commits the fewest turnovers winning the game.I also believe these two teams will wipe out whoever they face in bidistrict.The teams in the other district play lessor competition to improve tgeir standings with the polsters, but when it comes crunch time they don't have what it takes.This was very evident last season by their results in the playoffs,3 teams 4 games and the district was eliminated.Not much will change this time around either.
My prediction Bridge City 20-Newton 18

Husker98
10-30-2001, 01:20 PM
I agree with everything you said, except for your prediction. I think both teams will go deep into the playoffs. They should anyway.

Newton 28-13

TRY ME - I'LL MAKE YOU FAMOUS

BH_146
10-30-2001, 06:33 PM
Being a BC grad, I will be pulling for the Cards. I agree that Newton and Bridge City should win easily in their first round game of the playoffs. The comment about the other district playing lesser competition is getting old though. I'll give you the fact that year in and year out, Newton plays against very competitive teams. With that being given, let's look at District 21-AAA. Looking at last year's results, which are this year's teams also, how many teams in 21-3A beat a school that won a playoff game? NONE! And yes, District 22-3A did and it wasn't just Barbers Hill. And last year saw both Barbers Hill and Bridge City exit the playoffs in the same week. The year before in 1999, Newton, Barbers Hill and Hardin-Jefferson all went 3 deep into the playoff bracket. Pretty much a wash in terms of recent history of the districts.
Scheduling of lesser competition? When did Bridge City become so great at scheduling tough opponents? In the '90s, 60% of Bridge City's predistrict games were against teams below their classification. And how strong was this schedule last year? On it was the only school Livingston could beat, Silsbee. Drop down to 3A and suddenly its okay to bad mouth the other district. Why? Do you feel the need to prop up BC? You shouldn't. No one last year negatively spoke about Bridge City's schedule not preparing them for a deep run in the playoffs. But the scheduling seems to have worked this year to where it should benefit the Cards.
The truth is that other than Newton, none of the teams from either district have gone deep into the playoff bracket. Being a BC grad, I hope and feel the Cards will go far this year. And if possible, I will be there to support them. And Newton? I think they have an excellent chance at winning it all.

SintonFan
10-31-2001, 12:29 AM
It seems BC teaches proper English. That's better than most Texas schools. BH, I'm pulling for BC too, but I think Newton should win. It seems BC has taken a little of the 'underdog label', and underdogs are fun to root for!

Old Cardinal
10-31-2001, 10:41 AM
Mr. Barbers Hill, We don't want you to get your shorts in a twist over what started as one discussion comment to Newton folks about BH being overrated and that we thought Newton would have a breather whenever they played BH. You keep commenting with big statements and BC&Newton folks keep commenting back...BH has a good Div. II team; however their wins are over questionable teams. Example: Stafford- wins 0 loses 6; Willis- 2 loses 5; Kelly wins 0 loses 8: Livingston win 1 loses 6; Dickinson 4(look how weak the teams are!) loses 3, etc. Hamshire-Fannett gave you all you could handle and look at last week- Kountze 10 BH 14 at halftime- sure you overwhelmed them in the last half because they had no depth. You have a good team but you are overrated by people that only look at the win/lose column and not one tier deeper. Keep the dialogue going that you started and I am sure you will keep getting comments back from Newton and Bridge City folks until Newton gets a opportunity to show you a little about football.

RBARKER
10-31-2001, 12:35 PM
Man you talk alot of crap Old Cardinal! I hope that your teams are as good as you think they are. Because if not, I will be the first one on here to remind you of you stupid predictions that you have made all year.When Bridge City makes it into the playoffs year after year like Barbers Hill and Nweton does then you can come on here and gloat. Untill then give us a break no one cares!

BH_146
10-31-2001, 05:19 PM
Old Cardinal, my reply was to the comment above and any others about District 22-3A scheduling lesser teams. I answered your question about a Barbers Hill-Newton match-up in a previous post. And if you want to keep posting that Newton would show us a thing about football if we played, that's your prerogative. I have no control or influence how others rate us. Nor have I posted about Barbers Hill being one of the top teams in the state. Also, I did not start any dialogue about a teams playing lesser opponents. I simply replied to some of those posts directed toward our district. As for as the teams we have played this year, most are not very strong and their record seems to speak for themselves. In my opinion, we have only played one quality team this year, Dickinson who is sitting with a 6-2 record(should be 5-3). But perhaps that is a matter of perspective. Such as the records of Bridge City's predistrict teams. As of today, that record stands at a combined total of 16 wins and 21 losses and the best record is 5-3. Some would say that is not very impressive. Is it right to judge those teams by their records alone? Perhaps you can answer this. Other than Newton, did anyone in either district play a team that has posted a record better than 5-3 and the team is not 2A or lower?

Old Cardinal
10-31-2001, 07:53 PM
It's been 40 years since I had a statistics course; however, if I remember your reasoning is called "spurious statistics" Of the 21 loses you site there were 12 to Kelly and Liberty opponents- the remainder were to win/loses among large enrollment 4A's that would be hard for any 3A to face week after week. Don't add up your preseason that way or it might shock you also. Yes, Bridge City is proud to be facing folks their size or smaller in District. After years of facing folks twice their size or better in District play its plain fun! And you are right, we have no history in the last decade to note. Maybe you don't know this but when they faced Liberty in the first game, last year, the Seniors knew that if they did not win- a group of Sophmores would replace them-which happened. These kids were 25-0 against all of the 4A's in Jr. High. Yes, they played the exact same schedule as this year but they were a new crop accustomed to winning. Yes, the Seniors got to play a lot of time because of 3A football-but mostly in the second half. Newton is exceptional-that ought to be a good one Friday night. Bridge City was bomdarded with past 3A history last year, and this year-our kids have got to know that they can write history too....As you know, if BC was still in the 5 smallest in 4A they would have a non-playoff year.

BH_146
10-31-2001, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry if I seem a little "chippy" but I will stand up for our district if I feel it is warranted. I just don't feel like some of our better teams set out to pad their record. Liberty did schedule Lincoln and BC while H-J played Lumberton who is having a good year. In the past we have played LCM and Lumberton. Bridge City may never have the scheduling problems we have due to history and proximity with some great 4A teams. Golden Triangle teams tend to schedule among themselves before looking our way. Believe it or not, Willis played well last year losing to LaMarque 19-14 in the second round. Don't know what happened this year but I could see us playing them again because their subvarsity teams played us tough. I will be sorely disappointed if we schedule Livingston and Stafford again. As far as Kelly, we have a history of playing them just like Bridge City has played Kelly often. They have a good coach so I guess I could see us getting talked into playing them again. But, I don't think it will cross Coach Price's mind about calling me before he sets his schedule next year so I'm just blowing air so to speak. I agree, Bridge City is in 3A to stay and will continue to add to the history of that district. I hear the same thing you are saying in that BC has some strong subvarsity groups to support what I consider a very strong 3A team. Have you heard any word about next year for your district? What we were told is that both Jasper and Silsbee turned in numbers that may drop them into 3A.

classof 85
11-01-2001, 09:03 AM
I have heard that ,and also that Newton turned in #'s that are right on the edge of the 2A cut off.If that happens then the 2A teams will be fighting for their lives to make the playoffs.Newton will be a shoe in for a long time.

Husker98
11-01-2001, 11:17 AM
Old Cardinal,

I think you're right about Newton having a breather if they played Barber's Hill. I wish they would play Newton or BC in the preseason. It might get them ready for district if they did. If they were in our district, they would be just another victim for Newton and BC like the other teams in our district. No offense to the teams in our district. I hope they meet Newton in the playoffs, but I doubt they get that far.

TRY ME - I'LL MAKE YOU FAMOUS

[This message has been edited by Husker98 (edited November 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Husker98 (edited November 01, 2001).]

southeastfootball
11-01-2001, 12:22 PM
OK old cardinal you say that newton fans keep talking bad about bh but i have seen maybe one reply if that and the scheduling is weak how can you say that when you are playing the same schedule that bh played 3and4 years ago and went undefeated but now you are playing one of the hardest schedules for some reason i am not buying into that this will be my last reply until after you lose to newton and then when you lose about the 2nd round of the playoffs after you lose yes lose my last thing to say is quit worrying about 22-3a and worry about Newton cause they are going to give you all you want

Old Cardinal
11-01-2001, 01:27 PM
I agree Newton is an exceptional team and I hope you meet them not in the 1st round but later down the road. Sorry, we are excited at BC and grateful to be in the playoffs-I think we all have visions of going several rounds in the playoffs. Yes, I have made predictions for both BC & Newton, I thought that was a part of the discussion format? I made them last year too and was somewhat lucky on accuracy-so what if all predictions by all, are wrong, you still end up with Div. Champs at the end of the season. Look at Gatesville and LaGrange, every poll I know missed that one, so what. Once again, I really don't care what BH did 3 years ago against LCM, Vidor, Silsbee-if they beat them thats just great! They were worthy opponents for BC, this year is what I am interested in.

southeastfootball
11-01-2001, 02:54 PM
Than why dont you quit bad mothing 22-3a when they have plans on the playoffs just like bc does I am not saying i dont like bc i disagree with you but i dont get on here and bad mouth the team and there schedule i do agree they are a good team and i do agree with some of your responses on barbers hill but they have had 5 to 6 defensive starters sitting out of the last couple of games due to injury so they play a bad game against kountze and you say they arent any good then i dont care who you play if you can manage to get 16-18 year old kids to get up for 10 games in the regular season and win that is an accoplishment and i dont see how you can down grade on a team that is 8-0

Old Cardinal
11-01-2001, 08:38 PM
Maybe we have kicked this 21/22 district stuff to death--lets talk about Bridge City and Newton tomorrow night! I hope that who ever loses on Nov.2 will take the attitude of Vince Lombardi when a reporter interview him after a big game. He said, "We didn't lose the game-we just ran out of time!".........Bridge City's team reminds me of Hannibal when he said "I'll find a way or I'll make a way!". And Newton reminds me of Dizzy Dean when he said, "It an't braggin if you can do it!" Guy's from both teams-put on a good show for the College scouts. This contest is good for both of your teams in preparation for the playoffs! Best wishes to guys that have prepared very hard this year. Not everyone gets to play in the Texas game of the week-week #9.

southeastfootball
11-02-2001, 10:05 AM
Hey i am not talking about 3 years ago and then you say all you did but make predictions but when you would come on some other discussion you would dog either bh or 22-3a that is not making a prediction on the other hand i hope the game bc vs newton is as good as hyped good luck to both teams

TheNewtonBoy
11-02-2001, 11:35 AM
I have been waiting for this game the whole year. I think that this isn't going to be a game. Personally I don't think Bridge City will score a touchdown. Newton players are going to play as hard as they ever have this game because of the unexpected loss last year. Oh and the Jv game last night was just the start of what is to come tonight. The score was Newtons JV 42 BC JV 6.

Newton 35 BC 6(2 field goals)

Old Cardinal
11-02-2001, 12:03 PM
The Newton Boy:Congts. to the Newton JV, however most of the BCJV starters will dress out with the Varsity tonight-its a tradition toward the end of the season, maybe your JV starters are dressing out with your Varsity tonight also. I personally think it will be a good ballgame.

3Aroy
11-02-2001, 01:16 PM
Newton JV has been impressive all through district play. Here are the JV scores:
Newton- 46
Orangefield-0

Newton-50
Woodville-20

Newton- 40
Kirbyville-26

Newton- 42
Bridge City- 6

The varsity game tonight might be a replay of the JV game last night.

[This message has been edited by 3Aroy (edited November 02, 2001).]