PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys and Titans Talking Pacman

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Source: Dallas Cowboys discuss deal for Pacman Jones

09:05 PM CDT on Thursday, March 20, 2008

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News
cwatkins@dallasnews.com

IRVING – The Cowboys have held preliminary discussions with the Tennessee Titans about trading for suspended cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, according to a source.

The Cowboys could give up a late-round draft pick to acquire Jones.

According to a source, Titans officials are not in a hurry to make a deal but realize the best way to move on without Jones is to trade him.

Manny Arora, Jones' Atlanta-based agent, said Thursday the Cowboys are near the top of the list to acquire his client.

Arora, however, said he's talked to numerous teams about Jones and would like a trade to occur before the NFL draft on April 26-27.

"If Tennessee chooses not to have him on their roster next year, it's in their best interest to trade him," Arora said, "because if not, they would get no compensation."

An NFL spokesman said Jones, suspended since April 2007 for violations of the NFL conduct policy, can still be traded to another team.

The Cowboys are $3.9 million under the salary cap, and Jones is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.292 million whenever he returns to the field.

Jones, 24, is scheduled to become a free agent following the 2009 season. A source said Jones is willing to renegotiate his contract at a lower salary to accommodate a team willing to sign him.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he will review Jones' suspension before training camps open in July.

But Arora would like to speed up the process because he doesn't want a team with needs at cornerback to draft one without taking a serious look at Jones.

The Cowboys need depth at cornerback after losing both backup corners in free agency.

"The way I feel, if they bring in Tank [Johnson] or [cornerback] DeAngelo Hall or whoever, they understand what's at stake," Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware said.

"They understand how many guys are really working. Like Tank was saying when he came here, 'I've never seen as many guys working out at the same time and have the same drive in off-season workouts.' "

Last month at the NFL scouting combine, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he wanted to add a "wow" factor to the team. On Monday, Jones told ESPN it was doubtful he could add an impact player now, yet he was confident it might happen in the future.

Arora said he wants to bring Pacman Jones to a team that has strong leadership at the coaching and management positions, plus a solid off-the-field program.

The Cowboys tout their off-the-field player development programs, where former NFL player Calvin Hill is a consultant, as one of the best in the NFL.

Staff writer Todd Archer contributed to this report.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/032108dnspocowlede.cff476d.html)

Emerson1
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Meh. I don't he has touched a weight or any sort of running surface since he was suspended.

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Say it aint so, Kep, say it aint so!!!:( :( :mad:

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Say it aint so, Kep, say it aint so!!!:( :( :mad:

It ain't so!

I_DONT_CARE
03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
WOW FACTOR. YEAH, WOW WHAT A LOSER. :rolleyes:

Antec
03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
As long as the Texans don't start talking about him

crzyjournalist03
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Megzz727/evilpax.jpg

g$$
03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Antec
As long as the Texans don't start talking about him

NO worries there. Bob McNair would never touch that thug. Texans are building it (finally under new regime) the right way. Good times are ahead.

Par for the course for Jerry Jones & the worst kept secret around (long been rumored). The man has no morals or scruples. Modern day version of Al Davis: "Just Win Baby" at all costs. I respect him as a businessman but it ends there. I'm not saying you need a team full of choir boys singing kumbaya daily, but Pac-Man Jones is a straight-up thug. His track record/criminal record proves that. Can he play? Heck yeah, he's a difference maker as a CB & punt returner. But it speaks volumes about JJ & the Cowboys that they would pursue him. Goodell has not reinstated him yet & may not for a while. He's still getting into trouble for crying out loud. He makes TO look like an all-around good guy. At least TO does not have criminal issues. Dallas has had some malcontents & troublemakers over the years (Hollywood Henderson, Duane Thomas, etc.), but at least they cut ties with those guys. Now they pursue guys like Pac-Man Jones...

Please don't play the "he needs a 2nd chance" card. Pac-Man has had plenty & the NFL is just fine without him. My bet is he ends up a Dallas Cowboy at some point. He & Jerry are made for each other. The once proud franchise built on class & integrity is long gone (Landry, Schramm, Staubach, Lilly, etc.). Maybe womanizing & hard-drinking Jerry plans to baby-sit him!