PDA

View Full Version : Being a coach....

CRHSeagle
02-16-2004, 08:13 PM
I have only one more year left and Im out in the real world. I really wanna coach highschool football, but I dont know what to study in highscool. Can anyone help me with some info. like what degrees I need, what I should major in and stuff like that? Id really appreciate it.

Old Dog
02-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Can give advice in only one area. If you are certified in math of some sort, job offers will come your way more often. A good young coach that can teach math courses is always in demand.

Old Tiger
02-16-2004, 08:46 PM
No your science...get certified to teach spanish, and you should be set. Major in sports medicine.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Old Tiger ]</small>

Gobbla2001
02-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I've heard 5,000 different ways of going about it...

If you're really good at math (or some other courses that you DIDN'T see coaches teaching) shoot for it, BUT, remember, "Make a career that you'll love..." Sure, I can tell you'll love coaching, but what about teaching... I've always wanted to coach and teach, but like most coaches, I'd love to teach History... It has nothing to do with being the easiest course to teach, but I'm a guy who watches The History Channel 80% the time I'm near a TV...

Also, I've heard coaches saying not to major in stuff like physical education etc... Just major in what you want to teach, then for coaching just work your way up... Atleast this is what I've heard...

Phil C
02-17-2004, 09:30 AM
There are lots of answers and I agree that you should major in what you would really want to teach because you can fall back on that if you ever decide to retire from coaching and just teach. Things may be different now but it used to be that math was a big help if you qualified because so many students had to take math. If you have any skill at all in math it would be good to have as maybe a minor (at least that is what they called it back then) so you could be qualified to teach it since it could open more doors for coaching.

BrahmaMom
02-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Kinesiology is the major for coaching, but you need to be able to teach. Male English teachers are few and far between and valued, if they are good. Also, computer science is another mandatory class for students these days. Math, esp. the higher levels, but even a good Algebra I and II teacher and Geometry is awesome for a district. My nephew got his teaching degree and districts (big ones) asked what he could coach. He said he only felt possibly qualified in tennis (he'd played in high school) and baseball (he'd played some little league). Their response was "if you can read a book, you can coach--we'll give you abook to read on the rules". Be good with kids, love what you do, teach well, and you'll get to coach, I think! Good luck.

Jacket2000
02-17-2004, 11:23 AM
CRHSeagle:
I have only one more year left and Im out in the real world. I really wanna coach highschool football, but I dont know what to study in highscool. Can anyone help me with some info. like what degrees I need, what I should major in and stuff like that? Id really appreciate it.Here's my two cents(coming from a little bit of experience).
First, whatever you do, dont major in PE. Kinesiology is a good thing to have, but you'll still be limited. Probably oughta get that as a minor.
As for your teaching field,go with whatever your strong point is. You dont wanna teach something you hate, and you're gonna have to take alot of classes in that field anyway. Might as well be something you're good at.Different schools have different criteria and degree programs, so be sure to talk to an advisor.
As for football, if you're not planning on playing in college, find a local HS or Jr high and offer to volunteer(break down film, go on scouting trips, be a "gopher", etc...) or volunteer to coach a little league team. You'll learn a whole lot doing that. Just my .02.
J2K

spiveyrat
02-17-2004, 12:33 PM
In addition to all that, you could talk to the coaches and counseler at your school.

JustAFan
02-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Jacket2000:

CRHSeagle:
I have only one more year left and Im out in the real world. I really wanna coach highschool football, but I dont know what to study in highscool. Can anyone help me with some info. like what degrees I need, what I should major in and stuff like that? Id really appreciate it.Here's my two cents(coming from a little bit of experience).
First, whatever you do, dont major in PE. Kinesiology is a good thing to have, but you'll still be limited. Probably oughta get that as a minor.
As for your teaching field,go with whatever your strong point is. You dont wanna teach something you hate, and you're gonna have to take alot of classes in that field anyway. Might as well be something you're good at.Different schools have different criteria and degree programs, so be sure to talk to an advisor.
As for football, if you're not planning on playing in college, find a local HS or Jr high and offer to volunteer(break down film, go on scouting trips, be a "gopher", etc...) or volunteer to coach a little league team. You'll learn a whole lot doing that. Just my .02.
J2KThis advice is worth more than 2 cents! Lots of college graduates with Kinesiology and PE degrees are working outside of schools, trying to get in. Like Jacket said, find something you love and study it. Fields that are full of coaches - Social Studies and PE. Every year most districts are looking for Science and Math teachers. But make sure you want to teach. With all the new tests, principals are staying on their teachers about student test scores. This means the demands on teachers and teacher/coaches will increase tremendously.

raider red 2000
02-17-2004, 03:30 PM
all of these suggestions seem to be helpful. as a coach you must be willing to put in many hours. try to volunteer at a high school for a season. find a school in the town where you are going to college. ask the coach if it is ok for you to help out. be honest with him if he asks how much you know. also be willing to work on the weekends. it will be hard finding time to goto meetings and stuff, but it will pay off. also when finding a job they will always ask what your teaching field is. the shortage areas are things such as math,science, special ed, and spanish. many school districts pay extra for those jobs.

you will be fine as long as you are willing to work and you find something that you like to teach.

good luck to you.

CRHSeagle
02-19-2004, 09:14 PM
The only classes I really like are science ones like chemistry. More than likely, I major in that and see how far I can go. I talked to my coaches at school, and they said the same thing. I also just learned that our head coach is retiring next year and doesnt plan to coach anymore. Our head coaching position is wide open.

jason
02-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Old Dog:
Can give advice in only one area. If you are certified in math of some sort, job offers will come your way more often. A good young coach that can teach math courses is always in demand.and for the students: a math teacher who is a coach is always in high demand...