Originally posted by Antec
Has anyone have Direct TV HD receiver

if also how much did yall play

Here in El Campo area they charge $100

Monthly HD charges are $10 a month

$15 for recording DVDS

We're looking to buy a 37 inch

At Best Buy they said Samsung are better than Sony

I have one and I got it free when I signed up.

sinfan75
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
If you call directv and a directv technician comes and installs it its free. Considered an upgrade. don't do the contractor deal. it costs ya. may get it faster but you'll pay

sinfan75
03-20-2008, 06:37 PM
And to tell ya the truth I really can't tell the difference between HD and a regular picture. Just don't seem like it's that much difference. Alot of other people have said the same thing. Guess ya gotta be a real tv freak to tell. I can't

Emerson1
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
And to tell ya the truth I really can't tell the difference between HD and a regular picture. Just don't seem like it's that much difference. Alot of other people have said the same thing. Guess ya gotta be a real tv freak to tell. I can't
What kind of TV do you have?

sinfan75
03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I got a Toshiba but i've heard it from friends who got every different kind of HD tv there is just ain't that much difference.

Emerson1
03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I got a Toshiba but i've heard it from friends who got every different kind of HD tv there is just ain't that much difference.
Are you sure you have HD and are watching the HD channels?

Just put it on Discovery HD or HDNet, you cannot tell me it doesn't look amazing. TV shows don't look that much better if that's all you watch.

sinfan75
03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
yeah i got the bigger dish the HD channels and all that good stuff. I've switched from the HD channels to regular channels and just can't see that much difference.

Diocletian
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Here is what i "just" did a week ago..

Go to best buy, bought a 40'' 1080p Samsung signed up for Directv AT BEST BUY, they give you a $30 a month discount for 12 months, while on the phone you haggle for free installation charges, you will have to pay the $100 deposit for the HD DVR rec, I signed up for Choice Plus, which gave me SHOW and STARz free for 3 months and another $18 online rebate you fill out.

so my grand total monthly charges were 85-30-18 = $37

I have over 240+ channels DVR, HD, and some movie channels with 3 receivers. I payed nothing for installation, and nothing for the shipping charges they try to tack on as well.

You also need to ask them about the automatic bank withdrawl option for your bill, after 4 months they give you a $50 gift card if you sign up for it, in 4 months i'll be using mine to pay on the Sunday Ticket.

Also by buying from Best Buy they knocked off $400 on the TV i chose, since i got Directv at the store. here is the tv http://www.i4u.com/article8304.html

So far I love it, i have noticed some audio chop problems on the HD channels, i'm still troubleshooting it though,

Diocletian
03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Are you sure you have HD and are watching the HD channels?

Just put it on Discovery HD or HDNet, you cannot tell me it doesn't look amazing. TV shows don't look that much better if that's all you watch.

HD is absolutely amazing, the first thing I do now is press guide twice and browse nothing but HD shows, i'd rather watch something dull like the weather channel in HD than something good on reg digital

if you can't see a difference then something is wrong, it is like 0% 100% night and day difference

Emerson1
03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
yeah i got the bigger dish the HD channels and all that good stuff. I've switched from the HD channels to regular channels and just can't see that much difference.
Do you have an HDTV?

Go to the CW Channel(used to be WB) and watch some smallville in non HD, then switch to your WB HD if you get it. Do not tell me it doesn't look better.

sinfan75
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I guess you gotta watch alot of tv to tell.