PDA

View Full Version : 7th grade phenom in Abilene

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
For those that keep up with track------ 2 weeks ago at a Jr. High meet at McMurry a 7th grade boy from Craig Middle School in Abilene ran a 2:05 800m. For comparison, that same afternoon at the Wylie Bulldog Relays, 2:08 won the varsity boys 800m.:clap: :clap:

Sweetwater Red
03-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
For those that keep up with track------ 2 weeks ago at a Jr. High meet at McMurry a 7th grade boy from Craig Middle School in Abilene ran a 2:05 800m. For comparison, that same afternoon at the Wylie Bulldog Relays, 2:08 won the varsity boys 800m.:clap: :clap:

He was probably all jacked up on Mountain Dew.:D

BobcatBenny
03-20-2008, 04:43 PM
There is no way that 2:08 would win any serious varsity boys 800m! :(

Heck, a kid from Abilene holds the state record in the 800m.

1:48.21 - Jonathan Johnson - Abilene - 2001

2:08 is pathetic in boys track.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

It really is....

Sweetwater Red
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Read again Benny. He's a 7th grader not Varsity.:doh:

crabman
03-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Yoakum had a 7th grade girl run a 12.37 100 meters at our junior high meet. Yoakum also won the girls 100 meter varsity race on Saturday and she only ran 12.40.

We had a 7th grade boy run 11.52 100 meters. Not bad. Of course Stephon ran 10.55 prelim and 10.72 in the finals.

We have a timing system where multiple people start the timing machine but only one stops it. That is me. I timed all three races. It is hand timed but a little more accurate than just a hand held watch. We have backup hand held times that were always within 3-4 hundredths of a second.

Adidas410s
03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Where is Craig MS???

LH Panther Mom
03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Read again Red. The 2:08 was Varsity, 7th grade was 2:05. ;)

BobcatBenny
03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
The 2:05 is a very nice time for a 7th grader. Not phenomenal.

But, I was really commenting on 2:08 winning any varsity boys 800m. That is pathetic.

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Where is Craig MS???

It's the new one on Judge Ely & S 11th.

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 04:54 PM

But, I was really commenting on 2:08 winning any varsity boys 800m. That is pathetic.

You are smoking crack or something. For one thing, I wasn't bragging on the 2:08 by the Varsity kid, the 2:05 by the 7th grader IS phenominal. Check around.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
You are smoking crack or something. For one thing, I wasn't bragging on the 2:08 by the Varsity kid, the 2:05 by the 7th grader IS phenominal. Check around.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know if you know this about me or not, but I smoke rocks.

Sweetwater Red
03-20-2008, 04:58 PM

I was just saying there is alot of time for improvement between
now and jr/sr years.

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Not to belabor the point, but Johanthan Johnson ran a 2:10 as an 8th grader and had everybody in town buzzing and he made to the Olympics. So, yes I would say 2:05 by a 7th grader is phenominal. :) :)

BobcatBenny
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
No, I am not smoking crack. That is a very nice time for a junior high kid. He will probably win every race he enters this season. He will be dominant at his level.

However, at the next level, sub-varsity, it is just competitive.

Sounds like the kid has a bright future. I have personally known a dozen kids like him. And if he keeps it up, then he can hope to have a portion of his college paid for some day. And . . . if he gets really really serious, he could get a full scholarship.

injuredinmelee
03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
No, I am not smoking crack. That is a very nice time for a junior high kid. He will probably win every race he enters this season. He will be dominant at his level.

However, at the next level, sub-varsity, it is just competitive.

Sounds like the kid has a bright future. I have personally known a dozen kids like him. And if he keeps it up, then he can hope to have a portion of his college paid for some day. And . . . if he gets really really serious, he could get a full scholarship.

I know how to make him a fan of the kid bogey...

He moved to Abilene from Celina.

thewyliefan
03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
i bet if it was a celina 7th grader that did that it would be phenominal....but since it was an abilene kid:p

injuredinmelee
03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
i bet if it was a celina 7th grader that did that it would be phenominal....but since it was an abilene kid:p

well Celina football was created ont he 8th day. i guess he needed rest to build up to make such a powerhouse.

BobcatBenny
03-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't care where the kid is from. If it were football, then you might get a little brazen bias from me, but track was what paid for my college. Not football. :eek:

Very nice performance and he could have a bright future. I hope he sticks with it and finds a good coach that will help him flourish. But . . . he could be just like a bunch of kids I have seen, they mature early, have good foot speed, but are never developed by a good coach.

My personal opinion is there is no event more difficult than the 800m.

slingshot
03-20-2008, 06:58 PM
How quickly they forget... everybody was buzzing last year about Austin Gomez--8th Grader @ Wylie, ran a 2:07... was a new meet record at the same meet.

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't care where the kid is from. If it were football, then you might get a little brazen bias from me, but track was what paid for my college. Not football. :eek:

Very nice performance and he could have a bright future. I hope he sticks with it and finds a good coach that will help him flourish. But . . . he could be just like a bunch of kids I have seen, they mature early, have good foot speed, but are never developed by a good coach.

My personal opinion is there is no event more difficult than the 800m.

Benny-

Since you are now our resident expert on track, call a 7th grade coach in Celina or any other town in the US, and ask them what is the best time they ever heard of a 7th grader running the 800 in. Then report back to us (that don't know anything). BTW Jonathan Johnson (as you mentioned earlier is the state record holder in 800m from Abilene) got a 1/2 scholarship to Tech. So, seeing as how you challenged me I will make this point. You said earlier that if continued his "nice performances" he could get a full scholarship. You may be a little out of touch. There are probably not a handful of FULL scholarships given out in track in the nation. Maybe a sprinter that is also a jumper (long-triple) that can score points in Conference/Nationals in multiple events. Jeremy Wariner (gold medal Olympics) did not have a full scholarship to Baylor. So you showed your butt with that comment. Anyway, 2:05 for 800m FOR A 7th GRADER is phenominal. I hit range balls this afternoon with Billy Olson (good friend and former world record holder and Olympian in the pole vault) and I was telling him about this kid, and his comment was that "That is not possible". I think he has seen a little track in his day. But, I will tell him tomorrow that Bobcat Benny says that kind of time is a dime a dozen in Celina. Now I understand why everybody hates Celina. BTW are you kin to G$$ ?:thinking:

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
It is phenomenal, bottom line.

No one hardly gets a full track scholarship at a D1 school.

Jonathan Johnson was amazing.

That's all I have to say about that.

VWG
03-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Best time so far in Texas this year, 1:55 Blake Shaw, Cy Falls HS in Houston area.

injuredinmelee
03-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Benny-

Since you are now our resident expert on track, call a 7th grade coach in Celina or any other town in the US, and ask them what is the best time they ever heard of a 7th grader running the 800 in. Then report back to us (that don't know anything). BTW Jonathan Johnson (as you mentioned earlier is the state record holder in 800m from Abilene) got a 1/2 scholarship to Tech. So, seeing as how you challenged me I will make this point. You said earlier that if continued his "nice performances" he could get a full "scholarship. You may be a little out of touch. There are probably not a handful of FULL scholarships given out in track in the nation. Maybe a sprinter that is also a jumper (long-triple) that can score points in Conference/Nationals in multiple events. Jeremy Wariner (gold medal Olympics) did not have a full scholarship to Baylor. So you showed your butt with that comment. Anyway, 2:05 for 800m FOR A 7th GRADER is phenominal. I hit range balls this afternoon with Billy Olson (good friend and former world record holder and Olympian in the pole vault) and I was telling him about this kid, and his comment was that "That is not possible". I think he has seen a little track in his day. But, I will tell him tomorrow that Bobcat Benny says that kind of time is a dime a dozen in Celina. Now I understand why everybody hates Celina. BTW are you kin to G$$ ?:thinking:

"I'm Billy Olson"... sorry inside joke for some of the people on here in the know.

BobcatBenny
03-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Benny-

Since you are now our resident expert on track, call a 7th grade coach in Celina or any other town in the US, and ask them what is the best time they ever heard of a 7th grader running the 800 in. Then report back to us (that don't know anything). BTW Jonathan Johnson (as you mentioned earlier is the state record holder in 800m from Abilene) got a 1/2 scholarship to Tech. So, seeing as how you challenged me I will make this point. You said earlier that if continued his "nice performances" he could get a full scholarship. You may be a little out of touch. There are probably not a handful of FULL scholarships given out in track in the nation. Maybe a sprinter that is also a jumper (long-triple) that can score points in Conference/Nationals in multiple events. Jeremy Wariner (gold medal Olympics) did not have a full scholarship to Baylor. So you showed your butt with that comment. Anyway, 2:05 for 800m FOR A 7th GRADER is phenominal. I hit range balls this afternoon with Billy Olson (good friend and former world record holder and Olympian in the pole vault) and I was telling him about this kid, and his comment was that "That is not possible". I think he has seen a little track in his day. But, I will tell him tomorrow that Bobcat Benny says that kind of time is a dime a dozen in Celina. Now I understand why everybody hates Celina. BTW are you kin to G$$ ?:thinking:
Get real. There are lots of full rides for running. Why? Because most colleges will also field a cross country team. If you think that only Division I schools give out track and cross country scholarships, you are gravely mistaken.

Also, it helps your scholarship potential if you can compete in more than one event. 800m, 1500m, 1600m, or 3200m, then if you can run with 7 other guys over 5K or 10K you too can have your college paid for. There are three seasons for the right runner and athlete.

I am sorry that you were more impressed than you should be.

The kid is fast for a 7th grader and a good track and cross country coach would be licking his chops to put him in his program.

And you can get all upset, but I never said a dime a dozen. You did. I said I have seen probably a dozen kids like him (as fast in 7th? I do not know for sure). But I have spent a good portion of my life on a track. So, I have seen some amazing athletes.

It is possible that this kid is already being coached and trained. Seen that before too. If he is, then he probably has a bright future.

Here is another thing. Very seldomly do the fastest kids in 7th and 8th grade remain the fastest.

And . . . I am not a Celina Alum. So pull your head out of your anus and realize that knowing Billy Olson or any other former track star at the driving range is not the same as lining up an competing with them. I have run against some of the fastest Texas track and cross country athletes at the high school and college level. . . . and most of the time I had my ass handed to me, but fortunately I was fast enough to have a college coach take notice of me and build me a scholarship.

Did Billy Olson have a full ride? Probably. (He was amazing in his one event) Did he attend an NCAA school? No. NAIA. As I did.

I am still not phenomenally impressed with the kid. We will see in a few years where he is. Sounds like he has great potential. Keep us informed.

trojan37
03-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Don't know if it's a full ride, but Blaine Bassler from West is going to Rice on a track scholarship for pole vault. Last years 3A champ, he finished the year I believe ranked number 5 out of all classifications. His heights he's clearing at meets are better than a lot of 5A kids. I would almost bet it's a full ride, but I'm not certain. Anyway, that kind of time for a 7th grader is awesome. It might be hard to come by, but I bet there are more full rides in track than we think.

BobcatBenny
03-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Just for informational purposes. :nerd:

USATF keeps the American Youth Outdoor Track & Field Records.

Most 7th and 8th graders would probably fall in the 13 and 14 year old category. If the kid from Abilene is in this range, the record for his age group (youth) is as follows.

800m - 1:56.36 - Cody Harper - Sacramento, CA 2001-Jul-28

Now if he is 11 or 12 (midget) then he would be a phenom because this is the record.

800m - 2:07.21 - Reginald Warren - Sacramento, CA 2001-Jul-26

So if this kid is only 11 or 12, I would suggest he enroll in a sanctioned USATF event and set the record.

What a difference 2 years makes! :eek:

nobogey72
03-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Get real. There are lots of full rides for running. Why? Because most colleges will also field a cross country team. If you think that only Division I schools give out track and cross country scholarships, you are gravely mistaken.

Also, it helps your scholarship potential if you can compete in more than one event. 800m, 1500m, 1600m, or 3200m, then if you can run with 7 other guys over 5K or 10K you too can have your college paid for. There are three seasons for the right runner and athlete.

I am sorry that you were more impressed than you should be.

The kid is fast for a 7th grader and a good track and cross country coach would be licking his chops to put him in his program.

And you can get all upset, but I never said a dime a dozen. You did. I said I have seen probably a dozen kids like him (as fast in 7th? I do not know for sure). But I have spent a good portion of my life on a track. So, I have seen some amazing athletes.

It is possible that this kid is already being coached and trained. Seen that before too. If he is, then he probably has a bright future.

Here is another thing. Very seldomly do the fastest kids in 7th and 8th grade remain the fastest.

And . . . I am not a Celina Alum. So pull your head out of your anus and realize that knowing Billy Olson or any other former track star at the driving range is not the same as lining up an competing with them. I have run against some of the fastest Texas track and cross country athletes at the high school and college level. . . . and most of the time I had my ass handed to me, but fortunately I was fast enough to have a college coach take notice of me and build me a scholarship.

Did Billy Olson have a full ride? Probably. (He was amazing in his one event) Did he attend an NCAA school? No. NAIA. As I did.

I am still not phenomenally impressed with the kid. We will see in a few years where he is. Sounds like he has great potential. Keep us informed.

Bottom line, go back and read my thread. I didn't say that this kid was going to be the next world champion. I merely stated that a kid in Abilene in the 7th grade ran a 2:05 period. You said above that you weren't sure how that stacks up against other 7th graders. "I think what we have here is a failure to communicate". I was merely stating a fact. You evidently saw an opportunity to let everyone know that you were a college athlete. Admit it, it struck a nerve with you and your ego got involved. No, you're wrong. ACU (ACC at the time) offered Billy 1/4 of tuition and all of his books. By the time he left, he had 1/2. And yes, he was NAIA but what does it matter when you become the best in the world? Wes Kittley (head coach at Tech) has handed out 2 full scholarships since he has been at Tech=== The reason I know this is I called him last night and asked him because you pissed me off so bad. BTW= When I told him why I was calling his exact words were, "I heard about that , Who is that kid?" He had heard about it from his brother Danny here in Abilene. I guess he must be mistaken to think that was phenomenal for a 7th grader. Anyway, I'm tired of jacking with you. I'm gonna do something more fun like go chew on some Reynolds Wrap and rub my head with a cheese grater. :D :nerd:

gatordaze
03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
I have to post since MY SON is a 7th grader in Celina that just won the 800M in Sanger last week! His winning time was 2:33. 2:05 is smoking.

I am still real proud of my son especially since he was the biggest kid on the track at 6'3" 190lbs and plays O-Line!

Ranger Mom
03-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I feel this thread took a wrong turn somewhere.

I, as were many others, was impressed by the time this 7th grader had. Congrats to him, I hope he sticks to his training and continues down the road to success.

BobcatBenny
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I feel this thread took a wrong turn somewhere.

I, as were many others, was impressed by the time this 7th grader had. Congrats to him, I hope he sticks to his training and continues down the road to success.
Yep, it took a wrong turn when the when 2:08 became the standard for winning a boys varsity track meet in the 800m. :D

nobogey just is pissed because someone did not agree with him 100%.

I think it was his grand kid. :eek:

Perhaps rundoe has moved to Taylor county? :devil:

Ranger Mom
03-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Yep, it took a wrong turn when the when 2:08 became the standard for winning a boys varsity track meet in the 800m. :D

nobogey just is pissed because someone did not agree with him 100%.

I think it was his grand kid. :eek:

Perhaps rundoe has moved to Taylor county? :devil:

I think you missed the entire point of the thread!!

But...I have a 3 day weekend and I'm dang sure not going to sit on the computer arguing what I feel the point of the thread was supposed to be.

Have a great day!

gatordaze
03-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Just a note of interest 2:12 won the 800m varsity event yesterday at the Bobcat Relays.

BobcatBenny
03-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Have a Good Friday.

I_DONT_CARE
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
But...I have a 3 day weekend and I'm dang sure not going to sit on the computer arguing what I feel the point of the thread was supposed to be.

OH COME ON RANGER MOTHER. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO. :rolleyes:

Snyder_TigerFan
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by gatordaze
Just a note of interest 2:12 won the 800m varsity event yesterday at the Bobcat Relays.

:eek:

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
:eek:

Yep, either Benny honestly doesn't get it or he's just being a....

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/mule.jpg

BobcatBenny
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Yep, either Benny honestly doesn't get it or he's just being a....

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/mule.jpg

Or . . . this is a Sports Discussion board that is still discussing football in March. :rolleyes:

If 2:12 won the 800m in the Bobcat Relays, then the competition was weak and there were not any serious 800m runners entered in that event.

gatordaze
03-21-2008, 10:36 AM
There was a guy from Whitesboro that threw the shot over 59 feet! That is serious competition!

Ranger Mom
03-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Or . . . this is a Sports Discussion board that is still discussing football in March. :rolleyes:

If 2:12 won the 800m in the Bobcat Relays, then the competition was weak and there were not any serious 800m runners entered in that event.

No...to use your EXACT words: It's "pathetic!!" I am wondering though...using your words again, if 2:08 is pathetic in boys track, what do you consider 2:12??

And so what if people are still discussing football in March.....this IS a sports discussion board and the last time I checked there were no rules that it had to be a current sport.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed the past couple of days, or what??:doh:

BobcatBenny
03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
There was a guy from Whitesboro that threw the shot over 59 feet! That is serious competition!
Hayden Baillio has already had a performance over 62' this season and is ranked fourth in the state, all classifications.

gatordaze
03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
He is a beast. Would not want to run into the 3 guys that throw further in a dark alley!

Ranger Mom
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
OH COME ON RANGER MOTHER. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO. :rolleyes:

Maybe so! I made the mistake of checking back in after I ran out of spray paint!!

Now, I am headed to Wal-Mart and getting back to the job I was supposed to be doing!!!

pirate4state
03-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Nobogey - first let me say that I'm sorry this thread was derailed. It's sad when GROWN ADULTS can't just clap & say nice job kid. :rolleyes:

BCB - I can't believe you would sit here and talk about a child's accomplishments, ANY child, as "pathetic" :hand:

You all know I'm the resident "quick trigger" so say good-bye to this thread and in the future if you don't have anything nice to say about a CHILD, then don't say it all!!! :dispntd: