PDA

View Full Version : Graham

westcoast54
03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Saw an article today that said Coach Mccoy has been offered a 5A job in the metroplex. He wouldn't disclose the name of the school. Does anyone know which school it is? What are the chances of him going?

nobogey72
03-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Saw an article today that said Coach Mccoy has been offered a 5A job in the metroplex. He wouldn't disclose the name of the school. Does anyone know which school it is? What are the chances of him going?

You know the old saying....... "When the going gets tough, some people move to the Metrolplex." :D

I'm trying to call Red,White & Blue out of hibernation.:D

VWG
03-20-2008, 09:56 PM
What jobs are open in 5A metroplex? Mansfield ISD openings?

Graham is about to open up a new weight room, practice facility, and hoops gym. If he leaves this will be a very, very attractive job for someone.
Remember, if it's more money and no AD responsibilites it would be a good move from a 3A school.

Tenthehardway
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Dallas Sunset and South Garland are the only 5a jobs still open in DFW, I think. So I would assume that it's South Garland.
After the way he was treated in Graham, I dont blame him for leaving.

injuredinmelee
03-20-2008, 10:23 PM
He needs to get his kid some better competition anyhow. Not saying his boy is a world beater but if you had a kid with that much attention wouldnt you want him in a bigger classification?

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
He needs to get his kid some better competition anyhow. Not saying his boy is a world beater but if you had a kid with that much attention wouldnt you want him in a bigger classification?

Why?

VWG
03-20-2008, 10:32 PM
If it's Sunset or S. Garland, I wouldn't think those are better jobs than Graham.
Garland ISD has a choice program, and S. Garland isn't exactly a hotbed for competitive football.
McCoy's son is a good football player, and he is going to be a good QB. Case McCoy struggled in some games last year at the 3A level. The jump to 5A competition will be a huge adjustment.

Just my .02 cents, but Graham has talent to compete in their new district. Unless they push about $15-$20k more per year to offset the cost of living, and give him strictly football coaching duties... then he should stay planted in Steer country.

Again, Graham is about to have some very nice athletic facilites. New turf and new track is completed. New hoops gym, weight room, practice field coming up and under construction now.

Tenthehardway
03-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Not familiar with the DFW 5a scene, are ya? South Garland IS the big boy in GISD nowadays. They've been at least two rounds deep the past two years, with a quarterfinal run in '05. They sent 8 kids to college on athletic scholarships last year, 6 of which were D1. Mickey Moss did alot to put SG on the map for both recruiters and for winning football games. So, he'll win probably the same amount of games at SG as he would at Graham but against much tougher competition, his kid will get more college attention, and he'll get MUCH more money. Sounds like a better job to me.
I know he's not going to Sunset. Can't think of many people dumb enough to take that job....well, maybe one ;)

westcoast54
03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
JMO, I don't think his kid is D1 material. At least not yet. The way he's been treated in Graham comes from his own doing.

VWG
03-20-2008, 10:54 PM
South Garland...?
05 they had a good run, 06 out in bi-district and 07 they were beat in area round.

You are still having to compete/recruit against other Garland schools due to the choice program.
How much are they paying now in Garland ISD for a head football coach?
$80k? $90k? more?

VWG
03-20-2008, 11:03 PM
South Garland, 01 no playoffs, 02 no playoffs, 03 and 04 they made the playoffs but were one and done one year and the other they won bi-district and then lost in area round.
I guess I am missing the point on South Garland being a football hotbed.

Tenthehardway
03-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah, around 80 or 90. Not bad coin for no AD duties. 5a is a different animal. When you win a playoff game more often than you dont win one you're doing pretty good. 5a is much more competitive than lower classifications. Making the playoffs for most teams is an accomplishment. It's a different game when everyone has 2-4,000 kids. Besides, Moss only got there in 03. As for the recruiting, it's not what most people think. The choice program has to do with the magnet programs in GISD. Every GISD school has a magnet program. For the most part, kids go where they live. Besides, the best recruiting tool for athletes is wins and sending kids to college, which South is dominating in both. Plus, as much as we try to act like it doesn't matter, the number of As in the school does make a difference. It's a step up in every way.
As for how he was treated, the only thing I ever heard was people complaining about him starting his underclassman son instead of the returing starter. Of course, he had just led Graham to their best football season in 10 years. But the important thing is that he started his son at QB. :rolleyes:

bwdlionfan
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't get where you say 5A is so much harder to make the playoffs, an extra team in each district gets in than in 3A. In the late 90s and early 2000s, Brownwood consistently beat some 5A playoff teams. Southlake never won state in 4A, yet their first year in 5A they won a title.

Tenthehardway
03-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Well, I know this from experience. 5a is more competitive, by far. The law of statisics says that the fewer students in your school, the lesser the chances of having great athletes. If you look at the districts in the lower classifications, you can probably predict the playoff teams in each district fairly easily. Good luck with that in 5a. When the schools all have 2,000-6,000 kids, EVERYONE has the athletes. I know we all like to think that tradition, and the work ethic and toughness of the kids is what wins football games b/c that makes us feel all warm and fuzzy and makes for good Disney movies. But, the fact of the matter is that ATHLETES win football games. If you ain't got'em, you ain't gonna win'em. Ive coached from 2a-5a. 2a-4a isn't much different, but 5a is a different animal completely.

nobogey72
03-21-2008, 06:59 AM
today's ARN says that BM turned down the 5A job at South Garland. Says that he didn't want to abandon the "turn around" he had going in Graham. I may be mistaken, but I thought Coach Bourquin had a pretty good program going in Graham before McCoy got there. IMO=== It's quotes like that cause McCoy to have some shots taken at hims through the years. "Turned the program around"? Give me a break. Anyway, he's staying.:) :)

injuredinmelee
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
today's ARN says that BM turned down the 5A job at South Garland. Says that he didn't want to abandon the "turn around" he had going in Graham. I may be mistaken, but I thought Coach Bourquin had a pretty good program going in Graham before McCoy got there. IMO=== It's quotes like that cause McCoy to have some shots taken at hims through the years. "Turned the program around"? Give me a break. Anyway, he's staying.:) :)

yeah but you cant go by what the tool that wrote that article says.

Adidas410s
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes, the rumor of South Garland offering Graham football coach Brad McCoy a sweet deal to coach in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is true.

The 5A Colonels came to the table with what McCoy describes as "significantly more" money than he's making to coach the 3A Steers.

The official word, however, is McCoy elected to remain in Graham -- at least, for the time being.

Citing his family's well-being, geography, the progress of the Graham football program, and his son Case's contentment within that program, McCoy made it sound like an easy decision.

"We're happy in Graham," said McCoy who will enter his fourth season with the Steers in the fall. "We feel like we've got the program turned around, the kids here are working hard, and the (school officials) want us to stay in Graham so they're doing things to try to keep us here.

"I've never really been a guy who wanted to live in the Metroplex. The South Garland job is a great job with great people and good athletes, but it just didn't seem like the right fit for my family right now."

Taking Case away from a team that earned back-to-back playoff berths didn't seem like such a hot idea either.

The Steers finished 10-2 in 2007, but still may be two years away from fielding the best team McCoy has produced at GHS.

"He's very comfortable with the kids he's playing with and he's in a strong class at Graham," said McCoy of his son, who will begin his junior year in the fall. "They feel like they're going to be really good and it was one of those things that was a huge consideration for us."

That wasn't McCoy's only concern.

The Garland school system allows students the option to attend any of seven Garland-area high schools they wish, but the decision must be made by the time they reach the ninth grade.

In other words, there is a large amount of uncertainty whether a middle school kid will enter a specific program.

"I've always been in a one-horse town," said McCoy, who coached his other son, current University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy at Jim Ned four years ago. "I'm used to coaching the kids you've got, and I wasn't sure I wanted to get into a situation where I thought I had some kids coming but then all of the sudden, I didn't."

McCoy, however, didn't close the door on leaving Graham if the right opportunity arises.

"There are three or four jobs around the state they I've always thought would be wonderful," said McCoy, who played at Abilene Christian University. "Obviously I've been in the Abilene area a lot and if the occasion arose to get back to that area, that would be great."

Tenthehardway
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Maybe he means that they're winning playoff games now? For about 10 years, Graham made the playoffs every year but were always one and done. McCoy finally got'em over the hump.
Either way, from what I hear around here, the SG job was never actually offered. They spoke to him about it, but he initiated it. No offer was ever made.

westcoast54
03-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Tenthehardway
Maybe he means that they're winning playoff games now? For about 10 years, Graham made the playoffs every year but were always one and done. McCoy finally got'em over the hump.
Either way, from what I hear around here, the SG job was never actually offered. They spoke to him about it, but he initiated it. No offer was ever made.

That wouldn't surprise me. He's arrogant. They are in for a dogfight to just get into the playoffs.

Matthew328
03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
It's MUCH more competitive in 5A than 3A or even 4A....especially in Garland where there is so much talent....throw Rockwall in that district and you have six sometimes seven teams battling for playoff spots...not many off weeks in most 5A districts....South Garland is at worst a strong #2 in Garland...they also produce more Division 1 talent than Garland High

South Garland is a GREAT job

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2008, 02:44 PM

I guess someone should inform TOC (rivals) since the below is the first sentence from the article I read on there. :thinking:
Talk about it in West Texas Forum
Yes, the rumor of South Garland offering Graham football coach Brad McCoy a sweet deal to coach in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is true.

Tenthehardway
03-21-2008, 03:05 PM
That could also stem from McCoy's saying that it was offered. Or, maybe it was offered and my source is wrong. Who knows? That's why I prempted it with "from what I hear around here". Of course, TOC is just a message board as well, which is now ran by folks just as clueless as anyone else.

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
That could also stem from McCoy's saying that it was offered. Or, maybe it was offered and my source is wrong. Who knows? That's why I prempted it with "from what I hear around here". Of course, TOC is just a message board as well, which is now ran by folks just as clueless as anyone else.

Hey! This is a message board and we post nothing but hard
facts here!:mad:

or not.:devil:

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
It was written as an ARTICLE from an ARN writer and not pulled off the MB. Maybe the ARN guy doesn't have a clue.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=788535

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2008, 03:23 PM
"There are three or four jobs around the state they I've always thought would be wonderful," said McCoy, who played at Abilene Christian University. "Obviously I've been in the Abilene area a lot and if the occasion arose to get back to that area, that would be great."

Sounds like somebody wants Sandifer's job.:thinking::devil:

kepdawg
03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
He's probably scared to be in the same district with Snyder!

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Aren't we all, kep...aren't we all? ;)

Tenthehardway
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It was written as an ARTICLE from an ARN writer and not pulled off the MB. Maybe the ARN guy doesn't have a clue.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=788535

Yes, I know. That's who I was talking about. ;)
Besides, it's still only McCoy saying it. He's not exactly above self-promotion.

Adidas410s
03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

We are in the same district w/ Snyder now. I'm pumped I'll actually get to see a Graham game next year and not have it be HC or a playoff game in Abilene.

VWG
03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
3 or 4 jobs around the state that would be wonderful?
Man I can think of more than that.......

Abilene High and Abilene Cooper must be high on his list of jobs he would take in a heartbeat.

Emerson1
03-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
2a worked out just fine for Colt

nobogey72
03-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by VWG
3 or 4 jobs around the state that would be wonderful?
Man I can think of more than that.......

Abilene High and Abilene Cooper must be high on his list of jobs he would take in a heartbeat.

The Eagles will get back together before that happens. IMO.

NastySlot
03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by VWG
South Garland...?
05 they had a good run, 06 out in bi-district and 07 they were beat in area round.

You are still having to compete/recruit against other Garland schools due to the choice program.
How much are they paying now in Garland ISD for a head football coach?
$80k? $90k? more?

are you in the Garland area?......I heard rumor that choice of schools might be seeing last days..........GISD did it keep away having to bus kids around town to beat desegregation busing.

Tenthehardway
03-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
are you in the Garland area?......I heard rumor that choice of schools might be seeing last days..........GISD did it keep away having to bus kids around town to beat desegregation busing.

As long as Homer Johnson is alive, kids will have their choice of schools. Bet on that! :cool:

NastySlot
03-22-2008, 09:31 PM
As long as Homer Johnson is alive, kids will have their choice of schools. Bet on that! :cool:

is that more Garland High?

Tenthehardway
03-22-2008, 09:36 PM
He's the AD of GISD, but yes, he kinda favors GHS.

NastySlot
03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
He's the AD of GISD, but yes, he kinda favors GHS.

I know what you mean...grew up in that area....but haven't back in twenty years other to visit in-laws in Mesquite....every two or three years.