PDA

View Full Version : Internet question.

Ranger Mom
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I have 2 hi speed options that I am trying to decide between.

First one is a company called Wild Blue....and something to do with Dish Network....I can get that any they will install a satellite dish???

The other is my cable company....both companies are appx the same price.

What is better, more reliable, etc??

Cable or whatever the heck the satellite would be considered???

kaorder1999
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I would say the cable...ive known people that have the dish type and they didnt like it

Ranger Mom
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I would say the cable...ive known people that have the dish type and they didnt like it

My sister in law has Hughes Net or something like that, and she always seems to be having some type of problem!

pirate4state
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
cable

Old Tiger
03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Is the Dish kind the one with AT&T? I like it and its cheap but I'm just a simple user and don't really get angry at stuff like that.

Ranger Mom
03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Both of these are $49.99 a month. I can't find ANYTHING that's cheaper where I am.

What is the difference between DSL and satellite??

One thing about the Cable company, they are locally owned, so I don't have to talk to Hong Fung Shiy if I have a problem!!!

:mad:

Old Tiger
03-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I think DSL is through your phone lines.

Reds fan
03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
You'll probably do better with cable, sat like Hughes or Wild Blue will not be as fast, especially while uploading.

Tx Challenge
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I would def do cable or DSL. I have a little experience with Wild Blue. They will limit your use and slow you down or completely shut you down. At least they use to. Been a couple of years so things may have changed.

Personally the only way I would even consider Sat is if it was my only option..

Antec
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Would go with Wild Blue

WE live in hick town real small and have wireless broadband

we have what the ycall a radio deal on our house

It gets signal from antohter radio on a high tower

STANG RED
03-20-2008, 12:24 PM
I've had em all. Go with cable for sure. Wild Blue works very well when it is working well, but that isnt all the time. Weather will affect it also. High winds can also give those little dishes fits. They have to be spot on perfect with the satellite. Even 1 degree off and you will lose all signal. Not that you ever have problems with high winds out in Midland.:doh:

I have DSL right now, but will soon be switching to cable I think. Problem is, I have a package deal through ATT for phone, DSL, and cell phones. So I am going to have to see how much my other services will go up, if I remove my DSL service from the package.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Cable,DSL or Satellite?

Cable :) Roadrunner if thats available there.

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
http://www.nps.gov/archive/poex/hrs/images/fig4.jpg

BobcatBenny
03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
If there is any possibility that you might want to play interactive games online, you will want a non-satellite solution.

I would go with cable first, wireless second, then DSL, then if all else fails, satellite.

rangerjim
03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Got DSL though Embarq (phone line). Very few problems and pretty good speed.

Ranger Mom
03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Now that I thought I was doing so good I found out that the high-speed through my cable company IS NOT cable.

It is wireless and supposedly as long as I am in range of the tower I should be good.

I am going to go home and see if I can see the tower from my house...if so, he will be there next Wednesday to hook it up and then BYE-BYE to my home phone!!!:D :D :D

sinfan75
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I just bought this ATT dsl and its super fast. $25 a month. but ya gotta be with ATT. Just a little 4x4 do-dad that plugs into your computer and phone line and it's awsome. faster than that broadband crap at work.

Emerson1
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
That wireless stuff and satellite both suck

Emerson1
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I just bought this ATT dsl and its super fast. $25 a month. but ya gotta be with ATT. Just a little 4x4 do-dad that plugs into your computer and phone line and it's awsome. faster than that broadband crap at work.
DSL is broadband technically

Ranger Mom
03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That wireless stuff and satellite both suck

Unfortunately, those are my only 2 options. The Wild Blue is satellite and the Ridgewood Cable setup is wireless.

I went with the wireless, mainly because their initial set-up fee is cheaper....monthly charge is the same.

From what the guy told me, a 9 inch antennae will be bolted on the NW eave of my house pointing toward the 200 foot tower that is appx 2 miles down the road.

I can see the tower from my house. I am not locked in to any kind of contract, and at least if I have problems, the company is local. I don't know how quick they are to check problems out as far as the internet goes, but I have used their cable service for the last 15 years and if I have a problem, they are here in less than 2 hours.

gatordaze
03-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Dup Sup