PDA

View Full Version : Celina back to the state championship

orange machine
03-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Will Celina make it back to the state championship?

orange machine
03-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Just trying to see what everybody else thinks so please try to give an honest opinion.

bobcat1
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
OM, you don't know any better, but you shouldn't post things like this and ask for opinions to be honest in the manner you did. You should have asked how many will ride the broom on Celina getting back to the State Championship. It would take more than one broom for some. :D

Ranger Mom
03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
OM, you don't know any better, but you shouldn't post things like this and ask for opinions to be honest in the manner you did. You should have asked how many will ride the broom on Celina getting back to the State Championship. It would take more than one broom for some. :D

LOL!!

"I hope not" would have been a good choice....don't ya think??:p

trojan37
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
This is a hard one to call. I honestly don't see them going this year. They lose some quality talent, and they also have a lot of talent returning. As the saying goes, they don't rebuild, they reload. Who will they match up against in the playoffs? Could there be injuries in key positions that could really hurt them? Going on Celina's tradition, I say they go back. With some of the teams that have dropped down, and possible playoff matchups, I say no. I think this season is a little different than others. Last year, they had no competition until the championship.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Will Celina make it back to the state championship?

If they don't make it back, it would be the first time in how long? And how many times in the last 5 years? Seems they just keep on keeping on. Methinks it may be "the system" that gets them there as much as the quality or talent. I'm no expert, but I know when a horse is running well.

bobcat1
03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
If they don't make it back, it would be the first time in how long? And how many times in the last 5 years? Seems they just kep on keeping on. Methinks it may be "the system" that gets them there as much as the quality or talent. I'm no expert, but I know when a horse is running well. Correct! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 09:36 PM
If they don't make it back, it would be the first time in how long? And how many times in the last 5 years? Seems they just kep on keeping on. Methinks it may be "the system" that gets them there as much as the quality or talent. I'm no expert, but I know when a horse is running well.

They have played for a state championship the past 3 seasons. They did not play for a state championship the 3 seasons prior to that.

trojan37
03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
They have played for a state championship the past 3 seasons. They did not play for a state championship the 3 seasons prior to that.

I know it was 2A, but how long ago was it that Crawfor thumped em? That wasn't even the state championship.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Wow, only 50% of the time. Still seems like pretty good odds. How many other teams have played in the state championship that often in the past 6 years, other than perhaps SLC.

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I know it was 2A, but how long ago was it that Crawfor thumped em? That wasn't even the state championship.

That was 04, the season before they started the current string of championship appearances. Celina returned the thumping in 05 on their way to the championship.

trojan37
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
That was 04, the season before they started the current string of championship appearances. Celina returned the thumping in 05 on their way to the championship.

I remember the return favor Celina game them as well. As they say, paybacks are hell!

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Wow, only 50% of the time. Still seems like pretty good odds. How many other teams have played in the state championship that often in the past 6 years, other than perhaps SLC.

Judson, Katy, and Tatum have.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Judson, Katy, and Tatum have.

Looks like in just the latest 6 years, Tatum has 3 appearances but one was in 2A.
Judson no (05 & 07, before that it was 02)
Katy yes (03, 06, 07)

All in all SLC, Celina, and Katy. Two of those are in 5A and in my mind have a better opportunity for talent. I'm am not a Celina homer, but I enjoy good football.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Looks like in just the latest 6 years, Tatum has 3 appearances but one was in 2A.
Katy yes (03, 06, 07)

All in all SLC, Celina, and Katy. Two of those are in 5A and in my mind have a better opportunity for talent. I'm am not a Celina homer, but I enjoy good football.

Sorry, I misspoke. 02 would be in the last 6 years, so Judson yes.

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Katy yes (03, 06, 07)

02 would be the 6th season, so Judson yes

trojan37
03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Katy yes (03, 06, 07)

Celina has plenty of opportunity for talent, when the kids who don't get to play at those 5A schools move to Celina.

Panther One
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
They do have a tremendous program, but they haven't exactly had the toughest road to state the past two years, either. You put WO-S in Celina's shoes, and I think they would have been playing for state the past two years. You could make an argument for La Vega and Giddings, too. It's always easier when your one and only test in the playoffs is in the championship game. Celina will at least make it to the semis next year. That's where they should face their first test in the playoffs.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
02 would be the 6th season, so Judson yes

You are absolutely correct. I made a correction shortly after my previous post.

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
You are absolutely correct. I made a correction shortly after my previous post.

Richland Springs has done it in 6 man

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Celina has plenty of opportunity for talent, when the kids who don't get to play at those 5A schools move to Celina.

Wow, do you hate them for their success? I seem to remember several of their fans disagreeing that there are any move-ins of consequence. Am I misinformed? Are they recruiting or just fortunate to be in the position they are. Seems that if they do have moveins for the reason you state, they must have a pretty good program to attract that much attention from potential talent.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Richland Springs has done it in 6 man

I bow to superior knowledge. Still, aren't all those teams special?

orange machine
03-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I was talking to a coach who does not coach at Celina, but down the road a ways and he said that he thinks they will be good of course, but believes they will fall short of the championship because of the loss of all the talent. My argument on it is that they lost a bunch of talent after the 06 season when LH beat us, but if you look at the 06 and 07 teams they had to replace a few good starters from the 06 team for instance they lost on the offensive side the left tackle, center, right tackle, tight end and a few wide outs. On defense they lost right defensive end, D tackle and two coner backs. They lost all those folks and still made it back to the state championship and won the thing. So really i guess they have just as good of a chance this year. I didnt see any jv games, but i heard the jv has some great talent and big boys coming up this year.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I was talking to a coach who does not coach at Celina, but down the road a ways and he said that he thinks they will be good of course, but believes they will fall short of the championship because of the loss of all the talent. My argument on it is that they lost a bunch of talent after the 06 season when LH beat us, but if you look at the 06 and 07 teams they had to replace a few good starters from the 06 team for instance they lost on the offensive side the left tackle, center, right tackle, tight end and a few wide outs. On defense they lost right defensive end, D tackle and two coner backs. They lost all those folks and still made it back to the state championship and won the thing. So really i guess they have just as good of a chance this year. I didnt see any jv games, but i heard the jv has some great talent and big boys coming up this year.

Yeah, but they didn't play anyone.

Panther One
03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
There's been several teams in 3A get close over the past six years. Liberty Hill was in the semis in 04 and in the championship in 06 and 07. Jasper was in the semis in 02 and 03 and in the championship in 04. Abilene Wylie made the semis in 03 and 07 and the championship in 04. Cuero made the semis in 05 and 07 and the championship in 04.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
There's been several teams in 3A get close over the past six years. Liberty Hill was in the semis in 04 and in the championship in 06 and 07. Jasper was in the semis in 02 and 03 and in the championship in 04. Abilene Wylie made the semis in 03 and 07 and the championship in 04. Cuero made the semis in 05 and 07 and the championship in 04.

That just reinforces how difficult it is to return to the state championship game repeatedly. Close, but no cigar.

Panther One
03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
That just reinforces how difficult it is to return to the state championship game repeatedly. Close, but no cigar.
Like I said before, give some of those teams the playoff path that Celina had the past two years, and you might have seen it.

ronwx5x
03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Like I said before, give some of those teams the playoff path that Celina had the past two years, and you might have seen it.
But we didn't.

trojan37
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Wow, do you hate them for their success? I seem to remember several of their fans disagreeing that there are any move-ins of consequence. Am I misinformed? Are they recruiting or just fortunate to be in the position they are. Seems that if they do have moveins for the reason you state, they must have a pretty good program to attract that much attention from potential talent.

It was just a joke. No I don't hate them for their success. They beat our @#$ this year and did it with class. That has just been mentioned on here before and that's why I brought it up. I honestly believe that's homegrown talent they are putting on the field.

orange machine
03-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but they didn't play anyone.

Not taking anything away from China because they were a very good team, but that game could have been a little worse than that. Im not making excuses, but Celina did not play there best game that night and most people who know anything about Celina would agree. Also LH only beat us in the last few seconds of the 06 state championship game. So for people to say we didnt play anybody is just dumb. We played who was put in front of us all the way to the title games. We almost beat LH who everybody would agree is the best team right now in 3a and we did beat China. So i think Celina is a proven team no matter who is playing on the other team.

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM

Including all classifications playing for 3 in a 6 year span has happened fairly often.

ronwx5x
03-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Not taking anything away from China because they were a very good team, but that game could have been a little worse than that. Im not making excuses, but Celina did not play there best game that night and most people who know anything about Celina would agree. Also LH only beat us in the last few seconds of the 06 state championship game. So for people to say we didnt play anybody is just dumb. We played who was put in front of us all the way to the title games. We almost beat LH who everybody would agree is the best team right now in 3a and we did beat China. So i think Celina is a proven team no matter who is playing on the other team.

Once again, my sarcasm goes unnoticed. Please refer to my many posts praising Celina, then you will understand.

gatordaze
03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
When is a move in ok? We moved in during the 7th grade year and yes football played a part. We chose Celina over Prosper as we looked north from Frisco. Given similar towns and a passion for the game it was an easy choice.

I have not seen one kid that moved in during high school that received any significant playing time. In fact the best players on the team have been Bobcats since little league. Although D'Anton moved in as a 10th grader I beleive, his dad played for Celina in the 80's.

Move-ins during high school and recruiting is a sub-urban myth

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
When is a move in ok?

When they are moving in to "my" town!

trojan37
03-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
When is a move in ok? We moved in during the 7th grade year and yes football played a part. We chose Celina over Prosper as we looked north from Frisco. Given similar towns and a passion for the game it was an easy choice.

I have not seen one kid that moved in during high school that received any significant playing time. In fact the best players on the team have been Bobcats since little league. Although D'Anton moved in as a 10th grader I beleive, his dad played for Celina in the 80's.

Move-ins during high school and recruiting is a sub-urban myth

HELLO! I said it was a joke. Look up a couple of posts.

gatordaze
03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
reactions are not from your vesion of the "Joke" but from years of implication. Relax

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
HELLO! I said it was a joke. Look up a couple of posts.

You should know by now Celina people are very sensitive and don't care for jokes!

orange machine
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I sure would like to know how many people from Celina said that the Bobcats would be back and how many said they wouldnt.

kepdawg
03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I sure would like to know how many people from Celina said that the Bobcats would be back and how many said they wouldnt.

Everybody from Celina said they'd be back!

SNYDER325TIGERS
03-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Never know................but no they won't, i'm sure somone will beat them.

orange machine
03-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Never know................but no they won't, i'm sure somone will beat them.

Now why do you think that someone will beat them?

bobcat1
03-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Never know................but no they won't, i'm sure somone will beat them. A defeat is imminent in high school football. Celina just doesn't like the taste of defeat too often. Tends to make life miserable for a week in town. :p I said we would go back to the State Game. We could play the Purple People again this year in the Region 2 beats Region 1 game again if the stars line up just right. :D