PDA

View Full Version : Garner State Park Question

Cats Fan
03-19-2008, 03:40 PM
So we are heading to Garner tomorrow and stay till saturday. Heres my question to anyone living around that area....hows the weather.

Different sites tell me different things, but I figured that having a live person rather than a forecast would be much better.....

so....hows the weather up there right now?!

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Where is Garner State Park?

sinfan75
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Don't matter what the weather the water gonna be COLD this time of year. With the rain they had in that area yesterday the Frio might be up and runnin this week-end depending on how much they got

CHSfan
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
is this a trick question?? because i thought everyone has been to garner state park!

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by CHSfan
is this a trick question?? because i thought everyone has been to garner state park!

I've never heard of it!

CHSfan
03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I've never heard of it!
ohh wow!

sinfan75
03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
South of Wimberly, west of Bandera, Northwest of Hondo in Concan.

CHSfan
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
that about sums it up pretty well!!

kepdawg
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75

I have no idea where any of those places are!

DU_stud04
03-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I've never heard of it! same.

Old Tiger
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
same. same also

CenTexSports
03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Never heard of it either.

El CuCUy
03-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Cucuy never hear of place either.

Tin Cup
03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
i had a golf tournament in concan on monday and tuesday and it rained...the water in the frio river was quite cold but we got used to it after a while...the weather will probably be gorgeous since it was no good while we were playing tuesday

LionKing
03-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Between Leakey and Uvalde off of U.S. 83, very nice area, weather should be nice, I don't live there now, but went to Jr. College in Uvalde and everyone went there around that area, but lots of state wide and out of state tourists visit.

Antec
03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
I have Garner State Park song

By BJ Thomas & The Triumphs from 60s

Before BJ made it big

Maroon87
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
It's between Sabinal, Leaky, and Uvalde...an hour or so west of S.A.

big daddy russ
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
We go there every August and absolutely love it. All my other friends who have never been with us push for the Guadalupe because it's closer (cheaper), but none of the Garner vets will fold. The Guadalupe is awesome, but it just doesn't compare to the Frio in our minds.

The most popular state park in Texas. Brings in over $1.5 million per year, about $400k more than the second-most popular state park, Inks Lake.

Ranger Mom
03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
We camped at "Camp Wood" on the Nueces river and went to Garner one day to float the Frio!

pirate4state
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Haven't been to Garner since I was a teenager!! Had lots of fun. The weather should be great, but the water will be cold!!!

footballgal
03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Very nice place! I was there last August, the water from the Frio River was Cold, but it was perfect for a HOT August day. We had a good time, except for the bite I recieved on my ankle, while in the river - I still wonder what the heck that was - the marks are still visible. it was more like scratch marks of teeth.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_011.phtml

FutureAD
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
havent been in a few years i always happen to go when its the worst and when the water is low and instead of floating i have to walk more than half the river...:mad:

injuredinmelee
03-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Frio interpreted means? Cold?

DU_stud04
03-20-2008, 02:28 AM
frio is the bomb diggity :)

coach
03-20-2008, 02:40 AM
when i was about 15 my family and i decided to make a similar trip to garner state park...my dad being the (chevy chase) person he is, decided to go all out..he checked the weather that weekend, and it said some thunder storms so he called them and asked what the weather would be like..they told him sunny and hot, bring your swim suits and lots of sunscreen, so my dad said are you sure? bc the weather channel said you will be recieve some storms. The lady ensured him to come and everything would be alright.
I lived in cleburne then so it was a good ways away, but when we got there it started pooring. it looked like that movie The Day After Tommorrow, anyways we were about 3 miles from the place where we check in and get our reserved spot...and water is about 2 ft high over certain areas of the road..
being the great dad he is and wanting us to have a great trip he decided to cross over several areas, most being small bridges, completely covered in water...it was very scary and he says he would never do that again.
well we get to the front area and my dad asked to see the head guy of the place bc he was sworn that the weather would be great. My dad asked for his money back but the refused claiming he should have check the weather???My dad screamed and yelled telling them he called them asking what the weather would be like and the told him to come on the weather is fine...
they didnt give us our money back so my dad stormed out of their and decided to head to san antonio and take us to sea world the same day..well sea world was shut down due to diffulcties or something so we got back in the car ...

coach
03-20-2008, 02:42 AM
and headed to glen rose which is like 30 minuetes from cleburne...so we traveled 18 hours straight with a few breaks in between and we ended up 30 miles from home and stayed at that little park over there...

so when i think of Garner State Park my whole body shuts down and i have nightmares of that horrible experience

LionKing
03-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by coach
and headed to glen rose which is like 30 minuetes from cleburne...so we traveled 18 hours straight with a few breaks in between and we ended up 30 miles from home and stayed at that little park over there...

so when i think of Garner State Park my whole body shuts down and i have nightmares of that horrible experience
Coach : Sorry to hear about that experience, it never rains that much in that area most of the time, but when it does, being in the Edwards Plateau with the large hills and valleys, the water comes in torrents, fast and furious, again, sorry.

STANG RED
03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Had my first experience at Garner State Park in the summer of 77. Not a lot of people outside of that area really knew much about it then, and certainly most had never heard of Leakey or Concan. It was great! You could float the river for hours sometime without seeing a sole. And the river is always cold, it's not named the Rio Frio for nothing ya know. Probably colder now than in August, but it is always cold, but then again so is the lower Guadelupe after coming out of the bottom of Canyon Lake. If the water is running good, the Frio is a lot more fun because it has more rapids. Just keep your butt up, or you might get an unexpected surprise.

Antec
03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I have the song if any one wants it

will email to yall

It was on the jukebox at the park and still might be

Ranger Mom
03-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Had my first experience at Garner State Park in the summer of 77. Not a lot of people outside of that area really knew much about it then, and certainly most had never heard of Leakey or Concan. It was great! You could float the river for hours sometime without seeing a sole. And the river is always cold, it's not named the Rio Frio for nothing ya know. Probably colder now than in August, but it is always cold, but then again so is the lower Guadelupe after coming out of the bottom of Canyon Lake. If the water is running good, the Frio is a lot more fun because it has more rapids. Just keep your butt up, or you might get an unexpected surprise.

I didn't notice it really being that cold when we went. I know we had to pick up our tubes and walk on parts of it. My daughter was the only one light enough to float the whole thing without having to get off her tube.

STANG RED
03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I didn't notice it really being that cold when we went. I know we had to pick up our tubes and walk on parts of it. My daughter was the only one light enough to float the whole thing without having to get off her tube.

Yea thats the biggest draw back to the Frio. If it hasnt rained up river in a while, it can get pretty low and you'll have to walk in some places, but that is also when it is its warmest. If its really running good, its because of good upriver rains, and its plenty cold then. But when its really hot out, nothing is more refreshing! I bet its running really good right now.

Gontex
03-21-2008, 05:47 AM
South of Wimberley? I don't think so.

CueroDad08
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
So we are heading to Garner tomorrow and stay till saturday. Heres my question to anyone living around that area....hows the weather.

Different sites tell me different things, but I figured that having a live person rather than a forecast would be much better.....

so....hows the weather up there right now?!
Dont stay at Garner park, it is trashed out over the years. everything is durty and trashed. stay anywere close , there is lots of places so much better.