PDA

View Full Version : Gas Price scheme might just work...?

sinton66
03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Got this in an email yesterday. Sounds like it might work. Unlike other schemes, it picks a particular target. Feel free to copy and send on.

Subject: Dropping Gas Prices
THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.
This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.
Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!
I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer, and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.19 for regular unleaded in my town.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.
With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!
(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.
How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days !!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.
If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going

Old Tiger
03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Interesting idea and perspective.:thinking:

NateDawg39
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
It might work. Yet, wouldnt the other companies who we begin mass purchasing from begin to run out eventually? I mean, 300 million people is like... 300,000,000 people!!! Also, wouldnt supply and demand kick in? As in, the company who you purchase the gas from needs more because the sell of gasoline has raised 80% in a few short days. It is possible that Exon would then sell gasoline to those other companies for a certain fee making prices raise back UP to where they were!!

DU_stud04
03-18-2008, 08:56 PM
i saw this about 3 years ago....then again last year when the whole dont buy gas on may .... it sounds like a good plan...atleast a better plan than previous "dont buy gas on this one specific day".

i wonder if he has reached the 300 million voices he tried to reach or if he was even a real person?

gas is on what we call the whole supply and demand....zero control on the supply, unlike the demand, which we are asking for oil like crazy. with us not buying from exxon/mobil.... the demand isnt going down any.....

blah blah blah, i could write another essay on this but ill end it with just do you part on oil conservation, drive less, trade in the new escalde for something economical. finding new sources of energy is top priority.....

check out this guys idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iWaCMbw60

some pretty cool stuff

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I've seen this one a couple of times over the last year or two. In reality, the store owner will be the one affected. Just because the sign at the station says "Exxon" doesn't mean it's really gas from Exxon Corp. (There are an "Exxon" and "Texaco" here owned by the same person/company.)

And say you do boycott Exxon and they actually begin to lower prices. Now you're depleting the supply from the other companies, which will probably raise their prices. Gas won't drop to $2.00/gal overnight. In the meantime, (if) Exxon sells for $2.75 and the Valero is at $3.10, what person would pay the higher price?

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
It might work. Yet, wouldnt the other companies who we begin mass purchasing from begin to run out eventually? I mean, 300 million people is like... 300,000,000 people!!! Also, wouldnt supply and demand kick in? As in, the company who you purchase the gas from needs more because the sell of gasoline has raised 80% in a few short days. It is possible that Exon would then sell gasoline to those other companies for a certain fee making prices raise back UP to where they were!!
:doh: You beat me while I was rewording part of my post. :p

NateDawg39
03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: You beat me while I was rewording part of my post. :p
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

But seriously people. Do you realize that, in Decatur, there are about 14 or 15 gas stations and the ONLY one that carries moon pies is the Exon stores? I can't just waltz to the store down the road for gas then drive 1/4 a mile to get a savory moon pie ya know? That would just be silly.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Gas prices are high because of the failing dollar. We as Americans are being outbid for gas by countries using the Euro, so consequently because our dollar is weak right now we spend more on gas. Strengthen the dollar and gas will go down.

espn1
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
There's absolutely no way to monitor where the gas is coming from. Just because the Store might have a generic name doesn't mean they're not using a name brand gasoline. Many operations buy products branded differently and get it from the same vendor.

sinton66
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know, but there are plenty of gasoline retailers besides Exxon. The beauty behind this is it picks out the largest of them all to target. If Exxon's shareholders start NOT making record profits as they have been the last two years, things could get interesting. If it starts to hurt the local store owner, don't you think they'd complain to their distributor? Wouldn't they in turn put pressure on Exxon? Exxon has a strong obligation to the retailers.

I have to admit, this is better thought out than any of the other schemes I've seen. I don't know if it would work or not, but figure it might be worth a shot. As for myself, I haven't bought anything from Exxon for over 25 years.

jason
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
none of these schemes will ever work - the only way gas is going to go down is if we start to drill more oil on american soil and quit buying from foreigners who charge over $100 barrel...

the big companies will ALWAYS be able to charge what they want because they know people have to get to work, pick up the kids from school, etc....

its that simple and anybody who thinks otherwise is a fool.....

Blastoderm55
03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
This is the exact stupid email that got the Bee County commissioners court to pass a resolution to boycott Exxon and garner national press a couple years ago.

Originally read on the Downlow. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44038&highlight=pantry)

Bee County leaders urging boycott of Exxon Mobil

Web Posted: 04/26/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Jeorge Zarazua
Express-News Staff Writer

BEEVILLE — Texans don't like to be messed with, especially in this rugged South Texas county not far from some of the state's major independence battlefields.

So, it was only a matter of time before Bee County Judge Jimmy Martinez said someone had to stand up to tackle a national epidemic striking at the heart — and pockets — of local residents: Rising gas prices.

This week, Bee County became the first in the state, possibly the country, to pass a resolution asking motorists to boycott fuel pumps beginning Monday.

County elected officials said they would ask others in the state to follow suit.

"Hey, the American people are tired," Martinez said. "What we did is we simply took action instead of complaining.

"We're offering our residents a beacon of hope."

The resolution adopted Monday echoed the nation's anxiety over skyrocketing fuel prices that have now topped $3 in some states. Last week, average prices at the pump climbed 13.1 cents to $2.91 a gallon, according to the Energy Department.

But the boycott call is targeted only at Exxon Mobil gasoline until retailers agree to drop the price to $1.30 a gallon. Martinez said he's especially miffed about reports that former Exxon Mobil CEO Lee Raymond received a retirement package worth $400 million.

The median annual income here is about two-thirds of the state average of almost $40,000. Many can't even afford to travel to nearby hospitals for treatment, he said.

The resolution perplexed Leticia Muñoz, whose family owns the three Bee County Pantry Convenience Stores that sell Exxon Mobil fuel.

"I don't know what they are trying to accomplish," she said. "It's not going to make a difference on the cost of fuel, but it is a direct impact on us. It's ridiculous. There's nothing we can do about (gas prices)."

Muñoz said dropping the price of gas at the family's stores from $2.79, as it was Tuesday, to $1.30 would leave them bankrupt.

But the concerns don't stop at the county government level.

In Washington, there's widespread grumbling about why the federal government is handing out billions in subsidies and tax breaks to oil companies that continue to raise prices on taxpayers.

Martinez said he hopes Bee County's resolution will further spark discussions in the board rooms of the nation's largest oil companies.

"The Commissioners Court said, 'Enough is enough,'" the judge said. "We have to stand up for our people."

Not everyone in the county is embracing the resolution.

"I think it's crazy," said Katryna Rincon, 32, who was filling up at The Pantry South. "I don't think it will really work."

Rincon said she would continue filling up at the gas station even after the boycott begins next week.

County officials said they targeted Exxon Mobil because they are the largest oil company in the United States and hoped competitors, like San Antonio-based Valero, would be motivated to enter into a price war, driving the cost of fuel down.

Both the National Association of Convenience Stores and the American Petroleum Institute said Tuesday the county's efforts were misguided.

API spokeswoman Jane Van Ryan said major oil corporations own fewer than 10 percent, or about 16,000, of the nation's convenience stores.

And, she said, the price of fuel is determined long before it reaches the pump. Van Ryan said the bulk of its cost, about 60 percent, is determined by the price of crude oil, which rose to record levels last week.

"I understand politicians wanting to show action on behalf of their constituents," said John Eichberger, the NACS' vice president of governmental relations. "But, boycotts are the least effective and most destructive outlet for consumers in regards to the markets."

Van Ryan and Eichberger blamed the higher gas prices on instability in oil producing nations, regulations that determine how gas is manufactured and increasing demand.

Martinez said Bee County didn't pass a resolution to hurt local businesses, but to "protect the masses."

"We've been conditioned to think that we can't do anything," he said. "We're beyond that now. Somebody needs to bring it up at the grass-roots level, to light the fire here so it can move on."

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by espn1
There's absolutely no way to monitor where the gas is coming from. Just because the Store might have a generic name doesn't mean they're not using a name brand gasoline. Many operations buy products branded differently and get it from the same vendor.
Very true!

Old Tiger
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Government needs to put a cap on gas prices and make gas companies abide by that.

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 09:20 PM
"County officials said they targeted Exxon Mobil because they are the largest oil company in the United States and hoped competitors, like San Antonio-based Valero, would be motivated to enter into a price war, driving the cost of fuel down."

Interestingly enough, the "Valero" stations in Liberty Hill generally have HIGHER prices than the "Exxon".

BTW, Blast......I remember when this came up back then. Did it make any difference, even temporarily?

Emerson1
03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Government needs to put a cap on gas prices and make gas companies abide by that.
That's what caused the last gas shortage.

BobcatBenny
03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I'll be the first to admit that the high price of gas hurts me right in keester . . .

. . . but if we are really the capitalistic americans we tout, this is just a short term problem.

Guess what I just invented! The 3ADL!

If everyone just stays home and is as addicted to this as I am, then we will beat down the lousy oil companies! :D

NateDawg39
03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Remember the good ol' days when it wasnt this difficult?... I sure don't because im 21 and things have been heading down hill since I was born! Ah, what troubled times these eyes have seen. Gas prices, sattelites falling out of the sky, men wanting to be women and vice versa, having to fight the same country twice in less than twenty years! I bet ol' great grandpappy Holloway is just plain sick.

Emerson1
03-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Remember the good ol' days when it wasnt this difficult?... I sure don't because im 21 and things have been heading down hill since I was born! Ah, what troubled times these eyes have seen. Gas prices, sattelites falling out of the sky, men wanting to be women and vice versa, having to fight the same country twice in less than twenty years! I bet ol' great grandpappy Holloway is just plain sick.
It's global warming's fault

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 09:25 PM
I remember driving across Oklahoma during "gas wars" and my parents buying it for $.13 at one station.

Old Tiger
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
There is no reason for gas to be this high. NWO

Blastoderm55
03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
"County officials said they targeted Exxon Mobil because they are the largest oil company in the United States and hoped competitors, like San Antonio-based Valero, would be motivated to enter into a price war, driving the cost of fuel down."

Interestingly enough, the Valero "stations" in Liberty Hill generally have HIGHER prices than the "Exxon".

BTW, Blast......I remember when this came up back then. Did it make any difference, even temporarily?

Aside from costing Martinez the election later that year, no. :p

sinton66
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
The real truth is there just aren't enough refineries. No new ones are being built because of all the EPA regulations passed into law. Same deal with new power plants.

Perhaps something good will come from all of this. Maybe Science will hurry up and invent something different and worthwhile.

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Aside from costing Martinez the election later that year, no. :p
ROFL! And it should've..... ;)

Old Tiger
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The real truth is there just aren't enough refineries. No new ones are being built because of all the EPA regulations passed into law. Same deal with new power plants.

Perhaps something good will come from all of this. Maybe Science will hurry up and invent something different and worthwhile. What administration was that law passed under?

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 09:58 PM
What administration was that law passed under?
Doesn't matter......but FWIW, here's everything you ever wanted to know (and more) about Tier II Regulations. (If not, there's lots more. :D ) And when you get finished with these, let me know, and I'll fill you in on Tier III and Tier IV. :crazy1: :twitch: :helpme:

http://www.meca.org/page.ww?name=U.S.+EPA+Light-Duty+Tier+2+and+Gasoline+Sulfur+Rulemaking&section=Resources

http://robertrapier.wordpress.com/category/environmental-regulations/

http://www.epa.gov/tier2/finalrule.htm

Blastoderm55
03-18-2008, 10:01 PM

Perhaps something good will come from all of this. Maybe Science will hurry up and invent something different and worthwhile.

The real truth you mention is half the battle. We still just use way too much gasoline and with more trucks and SUVs being sold everyday, that sure is not going to change. And hey, not everyone can avoid going without those larger vehicles, so for the interim, it looks like we're just stuck with high fuel prices. Thankfully I have a little car that has excellent mileage and have no plans on procreating any time soon which would necessitate a larger vehicle. :D

sinton66
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Magnetic induction, that's the key.:D

STANG RED
03-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Problem is, there isnt any one silver bullet that will cure this, because there isnt one simple problem that has contributed to it. Its the culmination of all these things that have already been posted and then some. Pure d ol greed certainly has its roll in this also. But even that greed is driven by wall street and corprate structures that demand higher and higher profits each quarter.
The lack of new refineries and drilling is huge, the poor performance of the dollar in world markets is one of the biggest contributing factors, and its going to get even worse before it gets better. Look around when you are driving. How many gas guzzlers do you see with only the driver in it? What ever happened to car pooling? No one seems to ever talk about car pooling anymore. That alone would save millions of gallons of gas in a short period of time, but we have all become so independent that most people wont even consider that anymore. Most people work with many others that go to and from work at the same time every day. Most cars will comfortably haul at least 3 passengers. Just imagine how many gallons of gas would be saved in this country if we took 1/2 to 3/4 of the cars off the road each day just in people going to and from work. Gas would easily be cut in 1/2 in no more than a month. Think about it.

Ranger Mom
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Doesn't matter......but FWIW, here's everything you ever wanted to know (and more) about Tier II Regulations. (If not, there's lots more. :D ) And when you get finished with these, let me know, and I'll fill you in on Tier III and Tier IV. :crazy1: :twitch: :helpme:

http://www.meca.org/page.ww?name=U.S.+EPA+Light-Duty+Tier+2+and+Gasoline+Sulfur+Rulemaking&section=Resources

http://robertrapier.wordpress.com/category/environmental-regulations/

http://www.epa.gov/tier2/finalrule.htm

EWWW!!!! That's a BAD word!!!

Tier II regulation reports are what I have been working so hard on the past couple of months!!!!

I'm so sick of Tier II I could puke!!!!

It has SEVERELY cut into my downlow time!!:mad: :mad:

Adidas410s
03-19-2008, 01:01 AM
This gets the same response I sent out to the guy that sent this to 2000+ people in our company last week.

1. Please stop spamming the server. You're killing my email.

2. This is an ignorant idea. Please learn to think on your own rather than pass along an ignorant chain e-mail.

waterboy
03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Problem is, there isnt any one silver bullet that will cure this, because there isnt one simple problem that has contributed to it. Its the culmination of all these things that have already been posted and then some. Pure d ol greed certainly has its roll in this also. But even that greed is driven by wall street and corprate structures that demand higher and higher profits each quarter.
The lack of new refineries and drilling is huge, the poor performance of the dollar in world markets is one of the biggest contributing factors, and its going to get even worse before it gets better. Look around when you are driving. How many gas guzzlers do you see with only the driver in it? What ever happened to car pooling? No one seems to ever talk about car pooling anymore. That alone would save millions of gallons of gas in a short period of time, but we have all become so independent that most people wont even consider that anymore. Most people work with many others that go to and from work at the same time every day. Most cars will comfortably haul at least 3 passengers. Just imagine how many gallons of gas would be saved in this country if we took 1/2 to 3/4 of the cars off the road each day just in people going to and from work. Gas would easily be cut in 1/2 in no more than a month. Think about it.
This is the most feasible answer to the gas price situation. Instead of boycotting a particular gas company, or companies, carpool. The price of gas has to do with supply and demand (among the other things mentioned). Less demand would increase supplies which would lead to lower prices. It really PO's me to hear or read how the big petroleum companies are making RECORD profits while we are spending more and more at the pump.:mad: While we're lining the pockets of corporate CEO's and other executives with their astronomical salaries that keep going up and up, we are down here at the end of the supply chain seeing our spendable cash diminish. When we will learn to make the necessary changes in our thinking and actually DO something to keep those people at the top of the chain from laughing at us?:mad:

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2008, 09:49 AM
If you boycott one or two companies it will NOT drop prices

What will happen is supply and demand at the companies that u are using will swing into more demand than supply..This will cause them to raise their prices..plus of Demand is higher than supply those companies will then just buy more supply from the companies your boycotting

It is very common for gas companies to buy supply from the other companies, and it is very common for companies to sell off the gas they are not using to other stations

LH Panther Mom
03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If you boycott one or two companies it will NOT drop prices

What will happen is supply and demand at the companies that u are using will swing into more demand than supply..This will cause them to raise their prices..plus of Demand is higher than supply those companies will then just buy more supply from the companies your boycotting

It is very common for gas companies to buy supply from the other companies, and it is very common for companies to sell off the gas they are not using to other stations
That sounds awfully familiar. :p

Gontex
03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
The only way to lower the price of gasoline is to decrease demand. Park your blankety blank car and walk or ride your bicycle. It is all about supply and demand. There is simply too much demand on the ability of refiners to supply the product. As long as we are buying it, they are going to charge for it. These dumb *** schemes are not going to work. Somebody is an idiot for even suggesting it.

Aesculus gilmus
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
What administration was that law passed under?

President Richard M. Nixon signed the EPA into law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Environmental_Protection_Agency

BuffyMars
03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
yeah it all sounds good and dandy but if i don't have gas, i don't get to work, and if i don't get to work, i don't pay my bills, and if i don't get to pay my bills, i am one stressed out HEE-HAW!

sahen
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
As for myself, I haven't bought anything from Exxon for over 25 years.

Really? How is life without plastic?

sinfan75
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I've seen this one a couple of times over the last year or two. In reality, the store owner will be the one affected. Just because the sign at the station says "Exxon" doesn't mean it's really gas from Exxon Corp. (There are an "Exxon" and "Texaco" here owned by the same person/company.)

And say you do boycott Exxon and they actually begin to lower prices. Now you're depleting the supply from the other companies, which will probably raise their prices. Gas won't drop to $2.00/gal overnight. In the meantime, (if) Exxon sells for $2.75 and the Valero is at $3.10, what person would pay the higher price? As the old sayin goes "It all comes out of the same spicket"

Adidas410s
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Really? How is life without plastic? :doh: :clap: :clap:

carter08
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Exxon and almost every oil company recorded record high profit last year. I think there was one QUARTER in which Exxon recorded a profit of like 40 billion. Profit, after expensives, blah blah blah. That's up from the 10 billion a quarter they were making in 06. They keep making more and more money, and the prices of gas keep going up. They don't need 120 billion dollars a year. Cut that in half and they'll still be banking.

Oil companies need to get a heart. Then we'd see the days of cheaper prices. As long as gasoline is controlled by money-grubbing whores, we'll continue to see the prices sky rocket.

navscanmaster
03-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by carter08
Exxon and almost every oil company recorded record high profit last year. I think there was one QUARTER in which Exxon recorded a profit of like 40 billion. Profit, after expensives, blah blah blah. That's up from the 10 billion a quarter they were making in 06. They keep making more and more money, and the prices of gas keep going up. They don't need 120 billion dollars a year. Cut that in half and they'll still be banking.

Oil companies need to get a heart. Then we'd see the days of cheaper prices. As long as gasoline is controlled by money-grubbing whores, we'll continue to see the prices sky rocket.

I don't mean to sound evil, but you get the feeling that it won't be long before radicals start picking of these oil company execs on their doorsteps as they get the morning paper. I mean, they are already burning mansions in Washington state.:thinking:

sinton66
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Really? How is life without plastic?

I know several companies that manufacture the ingredients for plastic, and Exxon isn't one of them to my knowledge. Their principle business is gasoline and oil products. Most of the companies that make stuff for plastics have "Chemical or Polymers" in their company names, such as Lyondell/Equistar Chemical, Occidental Chemicals, Ticona Polymers, etc. They use oil to produce the Polymers that are used in plastic manufacturing. So, plastic doesn't neccessarily come directly from Exxon.

sahen
03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I know several companies that manufacture the ingredients for plastic, and Exxon isn't one of them to my knowledge. Their principle business is gasoline and oil products. Most of the companies that make stuff for plastics have "Chemical or Polymers" in their company names, such as Lyondell/Equistar Chemical, Occidental Chemicals, Ticona Polymers, etc. They use oil to produce the Polymers that are used in plastic manufacturing. So, plastic doesn't neccessarily come directly from Exxon.

well darn...i guess my dad has really been doing nothign out at exxon for the past 20 years and i wonder y they got me researching all this stuff out here....

plastic is a HUGE part of what exxon makes...refinery does the oil/gas products, chemical plant does plastic, rubber, etc.

also, ur still buying stuff from exxon by buying stuff from those other companies, if they use the polymers that exxon makes to make the plastic then your indirectly buying from exxon...just to tie that back to the original post....

sinton66
03-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Didn't know Exxon was into that. The companies I mentioned make the Polymers themselves.

Obviously, I should have said I haven't bought any gas or oil from Exxon.

Adidas410s
03-21-2008, 11:16 PM
again...this is an ignorant idea.

big daddy russ
03-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Gas isn't going down anytime soon. I'm not even going to try to fight it. The truth of the matter is that until I see the streets of downtown Abilene lined with Vespas, we have no business complaining about the price of gas.

I drive a GMC pickup and get 16 mpg (hey, at least it's a V6). Furthermore, I refuse to buy generic gas because I average roughly 1.5 mpg less on Wal-Mart and Race Trac gas than I do with Exxon and Valero (I actually average right at 16.1 mpg with name brand and 14.7 with generic) and the extra 40 miles I get on a tank more than makes up for the $.03 price difference IMO.

I also enjoy driving. Much, much more than most people. Maybe it's because I grew up on dirt bikes and go-carts, or maybe it's because my dad used to let me drive I-10 headed to Mississippi at a rediculously young age compared to most people, but somehow I got excited about driving at an earlier age and it stayed in my blood. And even though I don't drive nearly as much as I used to, I still put 25k miles per year on my truck.

No, I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon, though the Harley I've been wanting all these years would help me out tons on the gas expenses. I also don't know whether or not any of these plans I've seen on emails would work, but they're getting more creative. There is one surefire way to bring prices down, however. Unfortunately, neither the environmentalists nor the government would ever let it happen.

1. Allow for construction of more refineries.

2. Allow drilling in ANWaR.

Blastoderm55
03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
How can we gripe about the environmentalists and bureaucrats when we the people have the power (to some extent) to simply reduce consumption? Instead of waiting for governing bodies to allow for more refineries in more locations, we should tell them and the oil monarchs where they can shove their liquid gold.

Of course that's all easier said than done. In a perfect world, our very existence wouldn't be so darn reliant on the muck, but it is what it is.

Black_Magic
03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
How can we gripe about the environmentalists and bureaucrats when we the people have the power (to some extent) to simply reduce consumption? Because the same people your refering to dont give a squat about anything buth thier convienence. Thats why they have a problem with environmentalist. IF it causes them the least inconvienence(or money) them they are out.

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Because the same people your refering to dont give a squat about anything buth thier convienence. Thats why they have a problem with environmentalist. IF it causes them the least inconvienence(or money) them they are out.
What kind of vehicle do you drive?

Necks_Fan
03-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
again...this is an ignorant idea. Agreed. Nm

Black_Magic
03-22-2008, 12:44 PM
What kind of vehicle do you drive? Mazda... Gets 35 mpg... Now was there a point to your question???

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Mazda... Gets 35 mpg... Now was there a point to your question???
Good deal! :thumbsup: Yes, there was a point, but in this case it didn't pertain to you. I've seen some touting the environmental cause while driving vehicles with less than admirable mpg. Mainly, I was just curious. :)

Emerson1
03-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I love being able to go 2 months on 1 tank(15 gallons) :D

Tenthehardway
03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Everyone assumes that the majority of oil consumption is transportation. The fact is that transportation is only around 20% of the world's oil consumption. Think about everything that is made from petro; ALL plastics, medicines, paints, chemicals, energy, etc...The sad fact is that we don't control oil prices b/c we(the general public) dont consume that much.
Another depressing thought, we you really think about all the things that oil produces, the chances of ever finding an alternative are slim.