PDA

View Full Version : Softball parents

nobogey72
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I am a baseball freak. Played through college, coached my boys through Sr. League. Happiest days of my life were either playing or coaching baseball. Here's my dilema. My 10 yr old daughter and softball. She is showing signs of being a good athlete, basketball, track, golf and it seems that things come fairly easily for her so far including softball. I have been less than enthusiastic about softball for her because through the years, I have noticed that 99% of the girls that play at Wylie, don't play any other sports, because they play year round. Travel teams all year long. And it's not that Wylie is a softball powerhouse or anything but it just seems that to even get any playing time at all, that's what it takes. And to me, that is the advantage of going to a smaller school, is that you can play multiple sports more easily. Do ya'lls girls play other sports also?:confused:

44INAROW
03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Do ya'lls girls play other sports also?:confused:

Yes they do and sometimes on the same day. Nobogey - embrace the softball idea - it has taking my oldest son a while but he's accepting the fact that his "football players" (12 and 7 year old girls) are going to be playing volleyball, softball and running track instead of being on a football field. He will of course encourage both of them to play golf (all 3 of my boys play golf) Once he accepted it - he was alot happier. (he still gets grumpy on coaching them in soccer, but he coaches both of their teams :) ) We have girls playing softball and running track right now - sometimes the timing gets a little hairy - but it always seems to work out.

nobogey72
03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Yes they do and sometimes on the same day. Nobogey - embrace the softball idea - it has taking my oldest son a while but he's accepting the fact that his "football players" (12 and 7 year old girls) are going to be playing volleyball, softball and running track instead of being on a football field. He will of course encourage both of them to play golf (all 3 of my boys play golf) Once he accepted it - he was alot happier. (he still gets grumpy on coaching them in soccer, but he coaches both of their teams :) )

I am all over everthing she does. I've coached all her basketball teams, we go to the driving range almost every day, and I coach her softball teams. I guess my point is that I hope she doesn't choose softball due to the fact that it appears that prevents them from playing other sports at least at Wylie. :)

eppy 12
03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
my oldest did soccer, track and cross country and there was some overlap but she used cross country as a stamina enhancer for soccer. my youngest did basketball and student trainer. all this in el paso.

44INAROW
03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I am all over everthing she does. I've coached all her basketball teams, we go to the driving range almost every day, and I coach her softball teams. I guess my point is that I hope she doesn't choose softball due to the fact that it appears that prevents them from playing other sports at least at Wylie. :)

I misread what you wrote - that's what I get for working and reading at the same time. :doh: It's a shame the kids have to make those choices:( my son played football, golf and baseball his Freshman, Soph and Junior years - he made the very hard decision to just play football in the fall and golf only in spring of his Senior year (wanted that 2nd trip to the state tourney) and it turned out to be a good decision but HE was the one that got to make it - his coaches didn't force him!

Looking4number8
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
If she is a good player, she can play mutiple sports. Brownwood's best player was playing both soccer and softball. She missed several games before soccer was over. We had several girls play basketball and softball.

My daughter just does cheer and softball but she has her daddy's blood which is not real athletic. She was never invited to play on any of the travel teams but is now a varsity pitcher. We do work on it all year but have never played on one of the year around teams.

I say LET HER PLAY. If you really like baseball, you will love softball once she starts to develop. Watching my daughter and her friends play ball is much better than any baseball game.

Good Luck

nobogey72
03-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
If she is a good player, she can play mutiple sports. Brownwood's best player was playing both soccer and softball. She missed several games before soccer was over. We had several girls play basketball and softball.

My daughter just does cheer and softball but she has her daddy's blood which is not real athletic. She was never invited to play on any of the travel teams but is now a varsity pitcher. We do work on it all year but have never played on one of the year around teams.

I say LET HER PLAY. If you really like baseball, you will love softball once she starts to develop. Watching my daughter and her friends play ball is much better than any baseball game.

Good Luck

I would never discourage her from softball. Alot of girls at Wylie play multiple sports-- basketball-track--- volleyball-soccer etc. Maybe it's the coach, but, the girls that play softball for the most part don't play anything else. I just wondered if it was that way in other places.

zebrablue2
03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I would push for golf. many free rides out there in that sport. if she can be a scratch golfer by her jr. year, she will get many offers. otherwise, play what makes her happy. as long as the grades are good, and she is not stressed, play them all I say. good luck...

3ABirdMan
03-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Volleyball and softball are a good mix, as they don't overlap. You can even play travel sb and still get it HS volleyball.

Let her do what she enjoys. Mine hated BB, although she played in JrHi. Softball is her love, but VB runs a close 2nd. Now, we can't do travel VB AND travel SB - too much overlap! But you CAN mix them at the HS level.

If she has ANY aspirations of playing College SB, you MUST get her in a year-round program to let stay competitive.

NastySlot
03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
wow it pretty tough...it's terrible that club and travel ball teams are hurting kids in that they have to make choices.....I coach and I really like my athletes to play other sports....sooner or later they will decide on what is best for them......it should never be the coach...club sports that are pushed by h.s. coaches is wrong...an overall top notch girls program....would breed success.........my daughter is missing softball this year...she decided not play to concentrate on track.....she is a freshman...that plays setter in volleyball (also club)..which I hate.....played on the JV basketball team..which is the sport she has always loved....ran cross country....and now runs the 400m or 800m and sometimes the 1600m relay.............I would like her to play all that she wants but I worry sometimes she will only be avg. to good in all and not excel in one or two..................she will eventually need to make some choices........ I hate that she's not playing softball but I ran into one of her former travel softball coaches and he told me she told him she misses softball and was planning rejoining his team this summer....Im happy about that but worry about the price of gas to tourneys around the state and country......I wish she would play golf ....my wife works at a golf resort here in the hill country and the pro's are trying hard to get her try it........my youngest daughter doesn't care too much for sports...but told me she wants to just cheer and run track...I have two more years to work on her.

rangerjim
03-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Must be the school. Have many girls that overlap basketball and softball at Decatur. We missed about 4 girls in the early part of softball due to the basketball playoffs but they came right in and contributed. That's the multi-sport abilities they have. My daughter only plays softball so she got to move up and play varsity in the preseason (a plus for her). Gave her the experience and has helped her in JV (she's a soph) this year.

We're not playing on select teams all year round like some but most of those girls are only playing softball anyway if they are doing select. They concentrate on the one sport - they're decision.

Bottomline - guess it depends on the school and how they deal with overlapping sports.