PDA

View Full Version : What is the world coming to?

CenTexSports
03-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks to nobogey72 I want to make this a conforming thread so I would llike to mention that my son played high school football and he watches football all of the time.

Last night I saw my two week old granddaughter and before I could hold her my daughter-in-law made me wash my hands with hand sanitizer (and no I am not the only one). Has anybody else had this happen to them? Is this a new deal being pushed by the doctors?

I found it kind of upsetting that she expected me to do this before holding the baby. Am I being oversensitive?

Ranger Mom
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Thanks to nobogey72 I want to make this a conforming thread so I would llike to mention that my son played high school football and he watches football all of the time.

Last night I saw my two week old granddaughter and before I could hold her my daughter-in-law made me wash my hands with hand sanitizer (and no I am not the only one). Has anybody else had this happen to them? Is this a new deal being pushed by the doctors?

I found it kind of upsetting that she expected me to do this before holding the baby. Am I being oversensitive?

Get used to it.....mother's today are a LOT more paranoid than we were!!!

ToroChingon
03-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Some Doctors are saying that using that stuff contributes to the creation of mutant, much more resistant strains of bacterium.

Who knows what's the case?

Old Green
03-18-2008, 02:58 PM

I found it kind of upsetting that she expected me to do this before holding the baby. Am I being oversensitive? One of my co- workers and his wife had to take parenting classes before his daughter-in-law would allow them to keep their grandchild.

I quess having on the job training raising their three kids don't count anymore.

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm guessing this is her first child?

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
One of my co- workers and his wife had to take parenting classes before hid daughter-in-law would allow them to keep their grandchild.

I quess having on the job training raising their three kids don't count anymore.
Okay, now that's pretty bad! :doh:

eppy 12
03-18-2008, 03:05 PM

I found it kind of upsetting that she expected me to do this before holding the baby. Am I being oversensitive? how 'bout this.. after you sanitize your hands tell her to change it's diaper!;)

Ranger Mom
03-18-2008, 03:25 PM
What's ironic is that most hand sanitizers are so full of alcohol that they can be poisonous if ingested.

The truth about hand sanitizers (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp)

AP Panther Fan
03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm guessing this is her first child?

I was wondering the same thing....

I like Eppy's idea....diaper changing privileges are reserved for Mom.:)

Surely she will get over this. I knew a young lady that made her son wash his hands so frequently that he developed a phobia. Cleanest kid in town.

eppy 12
03-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I was wondering the same thing....

I like Eppy's idea....diaper changing privileges are reserved for Mom.:)

Surely she will get over this. I knew a young lady that made her son wash his hands so frequently that he developed a phobia. Cleanest kid in town. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/monk.jpg

Phil C
03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
IT IS GOOD TO BE CLEAN!!

:mad:

CenTexSports
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
No this is her second. She has a six year old and a two week old.

She has been working at a doctor's office and maybe it is just something that goes with that.

Phil C
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Actually I had a friend who had a baby girl and they always wanted everything clean and spotless where the baby played. The only thing is that the baby was always coming up with colds and other illnesses. The Doctor found out about it and told them to let her play in the dirt and get a little dirty because it would raise her resistance to germs. They reluctantly did so and then noticed the baby's health was much improved.

Ranger Mom
03-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Actually I had a friend who had a baby girl and they always wanted everything clean and spotless where the baby played. The only thing is that the baby was always coming up with colds and other illnesses. The Doctor found out about it and told them to let her play in the dirt and get a little dirty because it would raise her resistance to germs. They reluctantly did so and then noticed the baby's health was much improved.

I agree with that!!!

My granddaughter, who was 11 months old yesterday is TOUGH!!

We don't baby her too much, when she falls down and bumps her head her mom and dad make sure she's okay and then make light of it.

Only thing, she is so rough she isn't allowed to play with her cousins who are 1 and 3.....she's hurts them!!

I think she is going to be good in sports...heck, she may even play football!!

:D

crzyjournalist03
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm actually a firm believer that all of this sanitizing, eating organic foods only, and other things being pushed by doctors are doing just as much damage as they are good.

Sterilizing a baby won't help it's immune system. It's easier to fight off little bits of bacteria and build up an immunity than to never be around bacteria. That's just asking for a major sickness when small strands of things start going around.

I'm speaking from experience here too...my wife grew up in a house where they ate mostly organic foods and her mom sanitizes everything frequently because she's a major germaphobe. My wife got sick far more frequently than I did while we were dating and early in our marriage, and we were almost always exposed to the exact same things. After moving out from her house, she couldn't afford to just eat organic, and she doesn't have the time to clean the house all of the time like her mother did. After a few months, she was rarely sick anymore.

crzyjournalist03
03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

See...Phil's response goes perfectly with what I just said...he just beat me to it by a couple of minutes!

Gobbla2001
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
if you just rubbed your hands all over a raw chicken then YES, use hand-sanitizer before touchin' that kid... otherwise raise the kid like everyone else here was raised, naturally...