PDA

View Full Version : John Adams

ToroChingon
03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Anybody watching this on HBO? Pretty well-done!

GreenMonster
03-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
Anybody watching this on HBO? Pretty well-done!

I watched episode 1 and 2 last night. I have a hard time picturing Paul Giamatti as John Adams. I can't get past his "Pig Vomit" character from the Howard Stern Movie. :crazy: I know, call me crazy, but everytime I see him I think of that character. The show itself is great. I teach American History and the people and places are dead on. Pretty neat.

ToroChingon
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Never saw the Stern thing.

I teach World. Have taught US.

I am enjoying it immensely.

Gsquared
03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
Never saw the Stern thing.

I teach World. Have taught US.

I am enjoying it immensely.
Dang, the Bull used a five dolla word! :p

j_dog
03-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I have watched part of it, and am recording it to watch it all.

Yes, it is impressive. We visited his presidential library and boyhood home last September. It was quite impressive. We hear more about Jefferson and others. I did not realize what a pivotal role Adams played in our history. He single handedly wrote the Massachusetts constitution, which was later used as the basis for the US constitution.

michaelp23
03-18-2008, 09:43 AM
I have really enjoyed watching it, especially since I'm reading the book by the same name on which the movie is based. David McCullough, the author, does a great job of making history come alive. It's not a dry statement of facts and events, but reads like a novel. Anyway, I think I'll wait and buy the DVD of the series when it comes out so I can watch them at my own pace.

hawkfan
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I watched episode 1 and 2 last night. I have a hard time picturing Paul Giamatti as John Adams. I can't get past his "Pig Vomit" character from the Howard Stern Movie. :crazy: I know, call me crazy, but everytime I see him I think of that character. The show itself is great. I teach American History and the people and places are dead on. Pretty neat.

I teach History too, but my puny salary doesn't allow for HBO. I guess I'll have to wait for the video

DDBooger
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
got my BA in History, didn't want to teach HS so doing Soci. in grad school. History is my first love though. Don't have extended cable! :( , is it pretty factually on point? Adams is an interesting figure, I would love to have seen them make one on Jefferson, "CONTROVERSIAL" to say the least lol.

Macarthur
03-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm watching and love it.

Unfortunately, most Americans have no idea how much those guys sacrificed.

Txbroadcaster
03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'm watching and love it.

Unfortunately, most Americans have no idea how much those guys sacrificed.

I love it as well because to many people think everyone was all gungho for the Revolution...It does a good job of showing how torn they truly were to take the steps they did