PDA

View Full Version : Astros 12 - Dodgers 10

Bull19
03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
astros pick up the victory today even though w.williams gave up 6 runs in four innings.

please houston astros make a trade for some starting pitching:(

not to mention matsui will start the season on the dl

Necks_Fan
03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally post0ed by Bull19
astros pick up the victory today even though w.williams gave up 6 runs in four innings.

please houston astros make a trade for some starting pitching:(

not to mention matsui will start the season on the dl I personally like Loretta more anway. Matsui had one good year ( at Coors Field I might add). So what? I'll believe when I see.

zebrablue2
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
get used to scores like this all season. at least the other team scoring 10 plus anyway... they traded AWAY what little pitching we had during the off season. go figure???????

SintonFan_inAustin
03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
get used to scores like this all season. at least the other team scoring 10 plus anyway... they traded AWAY what little pitching we had during the off season. go figure??????? Houston Rangers?:)

Panther One
03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
get used to scores like this all season. at least the other team scoring 10 plus anyway... they traded AWAY what little pitching we had during the off season. go figure???????
Do you follow the Astros? They didn't trade away anyone that would be in the rotation this year. The only pitcher they shipped out that has potential to be a frontline starter is Troy Patton. Patton, however, will miss all of next season with shoulder surgery...an injury both Houston and Baltimore were aware of when the trade was made. Unfortunately, the free agent pitching market was weak and overpaying for what was available would have been a mistake.

Trading for a decent pitcher WILL involve Hunter Pence, and sending away your best young player would be a HUGE mistake. You can't just package a bunch of nobodies together and get a good pitcher. Pitching is a premium these days. A lot of people thought they overpaid Oswalt when the signed him to an extension a couple of years ago. Now it looks like a bargain.

I agree, however, that Williams might find himself off this team once the spring is over unless he turns it around big time. I'm okay with Oswalt, Backe, Wandy, Chacon, and Sampson, with Nieve vying for a spot once he's back to 100%. Trading for pitching isn't going to happen, so we just have to live with what we've got.

Matsui may be the first player to go on the DL after having surgery on his butthole.

SWMustang
03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
isn't troy patton injured right now? I thought at the time that move was the worst. Maybe the GM got it right on that

beat me to it pantherone

Bull19
03-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Do you follow the Astros? They didn't trade away anyone that would be in the rotation this year. The only pitcher they shipped out that has potential to be a frontline starter is Troy Patton. Patton, however, will miss all of next season with shoulder surgery...an injury both Houston and Baltimore were aware of when the trade was made. Unfortunately, the free agent pitching market was weak and overpaying for what was available would have been a mistake.

Trading for a decent pitcher WILL involve Hunter Pence, and sending away your best young player would be a HUGE mistake. You can't just package a bunch of nobodies together and get a good pitcher. Pitching is a premium these days. A lot of people thought they overpaid Oswalt when the signed him to an extension a couple of years ago. Now it looks like a bargain.

I agree, however, that Williams might find himself off this team once the spring is over unless he turns it around big time. I'm okay with Oswalt, Backe, Wandy, Chacon, and Sampson, with Nieve vying for a spot once he's back to 100%. Trading for pitching isn't going to happen, so we just have to live with what we've got.

Matsui may be the first player to go on the DL after having surgery on his butthole.

you can still get together a bunch of nobodies and trade for a below medioker pitcher which would be better than woody williams. ahhh i hate woody williams.

Necks_Fan
03-17-2008, 08:53 PM
What about Matt Albers? Are you telling me that he has no starting pitcher potential after starting like 10-12 games last year at age 23? Yea, him and Patton. Patton is 21 years old. That kid has mega-potential and could be an ace. 1 shoulder surgery isn't ending his career. For an old aging Tejeda???? I don't know about all that.

SWMustang
03-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
What about Matt Albers? Are you telling me that he has no starting pitcher potential after starting like 10-12 games last year at age 23? Yea, him and Patton. Patton is 21 years old. That kid has mega-potential and could be an ace. 1 shoulder surgery isn't ending his career. For an old aging Tejeda???? I don't know about all that.

refresh my memory who was he traded to and what was given in return?

K-MAC Chuck
03-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm okay with Oswalt, Backe, Wandy, Chacon, and Sampson, with Nieve vying for a spot once he's back to 100%.

Boy, you have low standards..LOL :)

Ok, i'm j/k...

but, i'll take my KC Royals' top 3 (Gil Meche, Brian Bannister, Zack Greinke) over Roy O and any 2 of the other Astros listed...

Necks_Fan
03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
refresh my memory who was he traded to and what was given in return? Baltimore Orioles along with Troy Patton and Luke Scott for Miguel Tejeda basically.

JasperDog94
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Matsui may be the first player to go on the DL after having surgery on his butthole. This has got to be the post of the day!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

zebrablue2
03-17-2008, 10:17 PM
We sent Albers- Patton- Dennis Sarfate a pitcher I know nothing about-- Luke Scott and Mike Constanzo to the orioles for Tejada. The bonehead trade was on Dec. 12th of 06-- Taylor Buchholz- Jason Hirsh and Willie Taveras for an injured Jason Jennings. That IMO was the killer of our staff. And yes, Albers would have been a very good 4th or 5th starter this year.

SWMustang
03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
We sent Albers- Patton- Dennis Sarfate a pitcher I know nothing about-- Luke Scott and Mike Constanzo to the orioles for Tejada. The bonehead trade was on Dec. 12th of 06-- Taylor Buchholz- Jason Hirsh and Willie Taveras for an injured Jason Jennings. That IMO was the killer of our staff. And yes, Albers would have been a very good 4th or 5th starter this year.

I totally agree about the trade for Jennings. That's what got Tim an Gar canned. But I think it's unfair to compare the Tejada trade with that one. If they had never made the Jennings deal the Tejada trade would not seem as bad.

Panther One
03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Albers started 18 games last year. He was 3-11 with a 5.71 ERA. He came in relief in another 13 games, picked up one win, and sported a 6.62 ERA. Albers would NOT help the rotation this year. Yeah, he's only 25, but he will, at best, be a fourth or fifth starter eventually and right now, the Astros have plenty of guys that fit that mold. Like I said, the ONLY pitcher traded away with real promise was Patton, and with the shoulder surgery, he won't even see the mound again until '09. And considering he has all of 12.2 innings at the big league level, I wouldn't expect him to jump right in and be a rotation mainstay. If he recovers, I think '10 is the season where Patton becomes an effective starter.

Dryaton is not an owner that wants to tank a couple of seasons and rebuild. He wants to try to win each season. That was the reason for the Jennings trade last year and the deals made this year. If Drayton wants to spend his money, let him, because that's what it is going to take. Over the next few years, the Astros will be rebuilding the farm system through the draft, so if Drayton wants to remain competitive, he's going to have to dish out the cash to free agents.

Chuck, I am okay with that rotation in the sense that I don't want to trade away some of our best young position players to try to strengthen it. I'd rather just try to win with offense this year and try to sign a #2 starter next offseason.

Maroon87
03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
FYI...this game was the last Dodger game ever played at Dodgertown. They're moving their Spring Training to Arizona, which makes perfect sense.

SWMustang
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I saw SF play SD last week in Scottsdale. Arizona is really pushing to attract teams there.