PDA

View Full Version : A&M #9 seed in West

Maroon87
03-16-2008, 05:33 PM
:cool:

Panther One
03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Played better than a 9 seed in the conference tourny. Hope we can keep that up. I at least want to beat BYU. If we get past them, it'll be an interesting matchup with UCLA. We definitely have enough big men to bang around with Love in the paint. Containing Collison would be my biggest fear. But first things first...gotta beat BYU!

Bull Butter
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
If they get past BYU, UCLA will be a tall order, especially with no true point guard

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Go Aggies!

Panther One
03-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
If they get past BYU, UCLA will be a tall order, especially with no true point guard
That's been our achilles heel all year. That's why we seem to go as our guards go. When they shoot well, our big men get more involved, and we're a good team. When they're off, teams take our bigs out of the game, and we don't have anyone to create like Acie did last year. If we play like we did against Kansas Saturday, we should beat BYU and should be in a battle with UCLA. If Rush doesn't go off, A&M beats Kansas (kind of like Chalmers against Texas today). UCLA is similar to Kansas, though, where they can have one of several guys step up and deliver on any given night. A&M's success will depend heavily on Josh Carter. He's shooting 31.7% over A&M's last 10 games and has been exceptionally bad in the losses:

Ok State: 3-8 (L)
Texas: 3-11 (L)
Nebraska: 1-5 (L)
Tech: 4-6 (W)
OU: 3-12 (L)
Baylor: 6-9 (W)
Kansas: 1-11 (L)
Iowa State: 1-6 (W)
K-State: 3-7 (W)
Kansas: 2-10 (L)

If the Ags can get Carter going and get past BYU, I think they'll present a tough second round matchup for UCLA and could very well upset the Bruins, who have been in some dog fights lately. UCLA has won four of their last six by three points or less and had another go to OT. They've also been the beneficiaries of some questionable calls to help propell them to the #1 seed. But with the unpredictability of this Aggie team, we could very well go out against BYU, shoot 35% and be one and done.

Old Tiger
03-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Aggy should get by BYU then get blown out by UCLA.

Reds fan
03-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jason
03-17-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Reds fan

dont roll your eyes - ucla is on a whole other level than a&m, who has been nothing but average at best all year long...

IF a&m gets by byu - then they'll get creamed by ucla

District303aPastPlayer
03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jason
dont roll your eyes - ucla is on a whole other level than a&m, who has been nothing but average at best all year long...

+1

Reds fan
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM

You completely miss my point about GoBlue's comment.

jason
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
You completely miss my point about GoBlue's comment. if whatever you 'say' can be taken more than one way, which it obviously could, then you did a crappy job of trying to make your point...

Panther One
03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
If you combine our good performances along with our aweful ones, I agree that we're an average tournament team. On any given night, however, we can play like a top ten team or a bottom ten team. There's not a more up-and-down, unpredictable team in the tournament than A&M. We weren't just average the night we topped Texas by 17, or Tech by 44, or took Kansas to the wire on Saturday. We also weren't average in our 20+ point losses. You can't say definitively how A&M will fair in the tournament, because no one knows which A&M team will show up. I do know this, if we get by BYU, we matchup inside with UCLA better than most teams in the country. But like I said, there's no guarantee we'll get by BYU.

Reds fan
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
if whatever you 'say' can be taken more than one way, which it obviously could, then you did a crappy job of trying to make your point...

crzyjournalist03
03-17-2008, 01:19 PM

Reds fan
03-24-2008, 11:55 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AGGIES played well.

Reds fan
03-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Old Tiger
03-24-2008, 12:42 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AGGIES played well. still lost so does it matter?

jason
03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
the aggie loss was due to ucla playing bad...

a&m didnt play good, they went 8+ minutes in the second half and only scored one point...

Macarthur
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
the aggie loss was due to ucla playing bad...

a&m didnt play good, they went 8+ minutes in the second half and only scored one point...

Not sure what game you watched, but A&M deserved to win that game. A&M played UCLAs ass off and they were lucky to win it, not to mention they got a little help from the zebras.

As for that scoreless span, A&M was taking the ball to the rack repeatedly, they just weren't getting any calls. You're not telling me a team can get 8 or more blocks in a half with out some fouls. When the refs decide to swallow their whistle, it always favors the team trying to come from behind.

lostaussie
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
still lost so does it matter? i'll keep that one on the back burner for a couple of weeks..................then we will see "does it matter"

jason
03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Not sure what game you watched, but A&M deserved to win that game. A&M played UCLAs ass off and they were lucky to win it, not to mention they got a little help from the zebras.

As for that scoreless span, A&M was taking the ball to the rack repeatedly, they just weren't getting any calls. You're not telling me a team can get 8 or more blocks in a half with out some fouls. When the refs decide to swallow their whistle, it always favors the team trying to come from behind. they went EIGHT MINUTES and scored ONE point - no team that does that deserves anything...

go ahead and blame the refs, maybe a&m should do more push ups so they can finish at the rim.....

cshscougar08
03-24-2008, 01:10 PM

As for that scoreless span, A&M was taking the ball to the rack repeatedly, they just weren't getting any calls. You're not telling me a team can get 8 or more blocks in a half with out some fouls. When the refs decide to swallow their whistle, it always favors the team trying to come from behind.

Again, this goes to prove that we can't give another team credit for playing well down the stretch to come back and win. Good grief. Give UCLA some credit for being a great team and coming back. They showed replays of almost every one of Love's blocks and all of them were clean. As for the last shot, a shorter person is not going to get the call when he takes it against not one, but three people taller than him. UCLA won that game with their grit and determination and Kevin Love's amazing play. A&M choked and couldn't hold the lead. End of story.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
A&M choked and couldn't hold the lead. End of story.

In a nutshell, this is exactly what happened. That and our stagnant offense that we run. It was stupid for Sloan to try to take it anyways, he is a poor free throw shooter, so even if they would have called it I doubt it would have made any difference.

Bull19
03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'll keep that one on the back burner for a couple of weeks..................then we will see "does it matter"

exact same thing i was thinking

Macarthur
03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
they went EIGHT MINUTES and scored ONE point - no team that does that deserves anything...

go ahead and blame the refs, maybe a&m should do more push ups so they can finish at the rim.....

So because they hit a cold streak, they deserve to get hosed? Great logic.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/53/532752.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-03/37063269.jpg

Does that look like a clean block to you?

BTW, this is Bilas on Rome today, "No way on God's green earth that wasn't a foul on Sloan."

Doug Gottlieb and Andy Glockner of College Basketball Insider:

"The forensic reports are in on the mugging of Donald Sloan, and the fingerprints on his arm have been identified as those of UCLA wing Shipp."

..."20 foot moving screen" set by Love to clear the lane for Collison's "lay-up".

"UCLA's run has a little bit of taint to it...
Frankly, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this."

Pat Forde also said Sloan as "assaulted" on his way to the basket and also said UCLA has been the benficiary of quite few "fortunate" calls lately.

I will admit the Ags should have hit a few more free throws, but anyone that denies that the officiating was not one sided, is not being honest.

Txbroadcaster
03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'll keep that one on the back burner for a couple of weeks..................then we will see "does it matter"

Texas is in a different situation B-Ball wise at this point...A&M should be happy with playing UCLA close, but honestly A&M to get to the next level has to not be in a position to be facing the #1 seed in the second round and not be happy with almost beat them games

Texas this year honestly anything less than an Elite 8 is a disspointment and really anything less than a final four will be a dissapointment.

Maroon87
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Texas this year honestly anything less than an Elite 8 is a disspointment and really anything less than a final four will be a dissapointment.

No doubt. They can now win the NC without ever leaving the state.

NastySlot
03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
so if things hold true UCLA will make the final four....A&M's last two opponents LSU and Memphis both made it....and those were close games and narrow loses.......some how UCLA managed to wake up in the second half....no blocks in the first half and ton in the second....I also thought that A&M was getting a lot the calls in the first half.

I would have gone for the win.....three attempt at the buzzer...UCLA had the mo....so why tie it up. Sloan was about choice for last shot but not in the paint...he was hot....early in the game.

and a far as people ripping A&M their the same people that not only predicted an aggie loss but I think some even predict a blowout.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM

He is right ATM got shafted by the crew!!!!!!!

Macarthur
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
so if things hold true UCLA will make the final four....A&M's last two opponents LSU and Memphis both made it....and those were close games and narrow loses.......some how UCLA managed to wake up in the second half....no blocks in the first half and ton in the second....I also thought that A&M was getting a lot the calls in the first half.

I would have gone for the win.....three attempt at the buzzer...UCLA had the mo....so why tie it up. Sloan was about choice for last shot but not in the paint...he was hot....early in the game.

and a far as people ripping A&M their the same people that not only predicted an aggie loss but I think some even predict a blowout.

If memory serves, there was a guy, maybe Carter, on the wing wide open.

buff4life
03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
If you go on a 8 minute scoreless streak in a fairly close game you shouldn't even be close when you finally score again...BUT

Sloan is lucky the refs didn't call the foul because even though the ags had a typical choke, sloan missing one or both of the free throws would have been an even bigger choke

Old Tiger
03-24-2008, 04:45 PM
choking or coming up short is the story of aggys life
http://www.karendecoster.com/blog/archives/choke1.jpg

Bull19
03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
the refs were very biased. the WHOLE GAME ucla was setting moving screens. esp. their freshman center. he WAS commiting fouls during every single one of his picks. he was stepping into the defenders pushing his body into them. i noticed that 2 minutes into the game.

im not an aggie lover, so dont give me crap about that. i just like good clean basketball.

LH Panther Mom
03-24-2008, 05:10 PM

:doh: :doh: :doh: Good grief.....

zebrablue2
03-24-2008, 06:20 PM
http://www.karendecoster.com/blog/archives/choke1.jpg

Go Blue,

Do you attend the University of Texas???

GetRDoneStangs
03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Go Blue,

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I bet he has several "T-Shirts" ..........:D :D

Txbroadcaster
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
the refs were very biased. the WHOLE GAME ucla was setting moving screens. esp. their freshman center. he WAS commiting fouls during every single one of his picks. he was stepping into the defenders pushing his body into them. i noticed that 2 minutes into the game.

im not an aggie lover, so dont give me crap about that. i just like good clean basketball.

A&M had 15 fouls called on them..UCLA 16..A&M shot 7 FTs..UCLA shot 11

It might have been a bad call, but I dont think you can say the refs were biased THE WHOLE game

Bull19
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
A&M had 15 fouls called on them..UCLA 16..A&M shot 7 FTs..UCLA shot 11

It might have been a bad call, but I dont think you can say the refs were biased THE WHOLE game

their's a difference between the number of fouls COMMITTED and the number of them that were CALLED.

UCLA clearly committed more fouls, but they weren't called.

CHS_CG
03-24-2008, 09:00 PM
There is nothing any of us can do about fouls that were or werent called. It really doesnt matter any more the main point is our team could not finish the game. Everybody needs to get over it. Its getting old and annoying!

GetRDoneStangs
03-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I still want to know how many T-Shirts Go Blue has!

:D :eek: :eek: :eek:

coach
03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
it was a foul that should have been called..the ags didnt blow it or choke...they did go scorless against a grate d but should have scored more and probably would have won if they did..it is over and good luck to ucla who has a great bball team and i look for them to be in the championship

buff4life
03-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Go Blue,

I DO!!! :D :D

NastySlot
03-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
I DO!!! :D :D

whats you major?

buff4life
03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
whats you major?

i can't declare yet but i'm going into the MPA program...5 years and i come out with a masters in accounting

NastySlot
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
i can't declare yet but i'm going into the MPA program...5 years and i come out with a masters in accounting

that's great good luck and study.

buff4life
03-24-2008, 11:17 PM
that's great good luck and study.

thanks and that studying part is really hard to do lol

NastySlot
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
thanks and that studying part is really hard to do lol

It doen't get any easier when you gradutate and work with computer in front of you believe me.