PDA

View Full Version : College exposure tournament for Softball!

Old Cardinal
10-07-2003, 09:53 PM
This past weekend 4 Colleges put on exibition games for potential Softball scholarship players at the giant Beaumont, TX complex. In conjunction, there must have been 60 Select teams playing here over the weekend.

Louisiana Lafayette, McNeese State, Hill College and Praireview played a number of exibition games. College scouts from those and other schools came to meet and watch a number of Select teams 18 & U, 14 & U and 12 & U year round players. The competition was tough and there were good games going on everywhere. I got to see a number of 3A HS players strut-their-stuff, on various Select and Gold teams from across the two states. The LaFernia, TX pitcher (A. U.), was quite impressive. The Taft,Tx pitcher was also pitching on a Select team. The big fall event, was sponsored by LA-Lafayette at the College level and the 18 & U, on down, was hosted by the huge Beaumont Blast Association. I know that the Blast 14 & U, for example, has three excellent teams and they in-turn helped flesh out several other teams, made of girls, deemed with enough ability to play Select team ball. These were mostly players left over after the Blast try-outs. Seeing the 3A girls with special skills having the opportunity to be observed in action, made it all worthwhile. The Beaumont Blast Gold had Bridge City's two All-Staters next year, pitching and also catching. Meagan Godwin will be a Junior and is getting faster and stronger as a College pitching prospect . Jessica Lemoine, Senior, who more than proved herself at the AFA Nationals this summer, is extra poised. Jessica, is now one of the most sought after Catchers in the USA. She pretty well has her choice of places to play college Softball. Most of the pitchers, this weekend, will be good 4A & 5A team pitchers in the spring. There is one more big Fall Tournament scheduled down here, in a few weeks. Tell any good Select teams that you know of; to get on the internet and find out about this opportunity to be viewed by College Scouts. There are college programs recruiting heavily down here for several years now and it looks to continue to be a hot spot.

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

mistanice
10-07-2003, 11:01 PM
How's BC girls going to be this year in softball? Diboll were bidistrict champs last season, and only graduated 1. Other than our 2nd base being lost to graduation, we will have all starters back from last season. I know its early for softball talk but I really think we will be contenders for the district championship.

Old Cardinal
10-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Both Diboll and Lufkin should be in the mix this year. I can't remember at the moment, didn't Lufkin Hudson put you out of the playoffs? What was the situation and what was the score in the game that you lost? BC will do fine, they have really worked hard in the off season, in year round Select team ball. They were dispersed out among a number of area quality teams. BC has a great young Coach, she supports the excellent Coaches in the Select team programs around here. She was at the big Beaumont Tournament recently, urging them on. She wants as many as possible to get a free ride to college. Unlike Coach Sissy, many softball Coaches have an ego problem,or something, and think that they are the only capable instructor. I look for BC's, H-F's and Caldwell's programs to flourish and people will be moving to these three towns, because of good softball Coaching...Please tell us about Diboll's playoff game and the depth of your present pitching?

<small>[ October 08, 2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Just rolling this one up to the front, trying to get an answer.

mistanice
10-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Diboll was put out in the 2nd round by a pretty good Caldwell team. Man old card, you should have seen these girls, They look like women. Most of them looked like they were 5'9 and taller. Hudson went a few rounds into the playoffs last season. Sry i cant tell you more details like scores and such. As for diboll's softball coach, we've had good talent come and go, but we never seem to get things clicking when the time comes. Goodluck to the cards in the coming season.

mistanice
10-09-2003, 09:03 AM
sry, i'll try to get the score from the caldwell game, and tell you about our pitching staff later, I have to get going to class now, English 1302 sux.

Old Cardinal
10-09-2003, 10:50 AM
To Mistanice: You will be facing Caldwell again with most of those girls now Seniors. There excellent Pitcher (B.C.), is the only Junior this year, that I know of. Coach Wendy Weiss(Caldwell), seems the have the best program in the overall Austin area. Lufkin Hudson also has their Pitcher back and she is a dandy, and remember they recruit the entire Greater Lufkin area! Allie, out at Hamshire-Fannett, can really humm the ball,also. What about the other teams in 20-3A? I know Kirbyville was a one-person team(Holly Tankersley), Bridge City ten run ruled them quickly 12-1 when Holly had to catch and could not pitch that day. But wow, Holly knocked a home run, that day, off Laura Gremillion; that does not happen often.

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>