Wow! :eek: :doh:

zebrablue2
03-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Danbury 34
Hitchcock 0

3 Innings

Just imagine if they played 5 or 7 innings

coach should not let that happen. 17 or 18 would be good enough.

zebrablue2
03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
have a better one

Sealy over Royal 44-1

if that is true, that is just wrong... I don't believe that..

Antec
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Ive seen some teams- their coaches tell players to bunt to end these kinds of games

PutMeInCoach
03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
How about just have the runner leave the bag early to get the out called? After you're up the 15 runs...have some mercy.

BwdLion_80
03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
coach should not let that happen. 17 or 18 would be good enough.

Coach???? The umps should not have let this happen! There are several ways in softball you can get outs. When this is done in a game like this, the coach of the winning team, most of the time, will not get upset. If he does, then there are other things that can be done to take care of the coach!

Reds fan
03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
have a better one

Sealy over Royal 44-1

In baseball not softball

Still ridiculous

Emerson1
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Coach???? The umps should not have let this happen! There are several ways in softball you can get outs. When this is done in a game like this, the coach of the winning team, most of the time, will not get upset. If he does, then there are other things that can be done to take care of the coach!
The umps can't call players out if they aren't really out.

3aSoftball4Mom
03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
have a better one

Sealy over Royal 44-1

This is Sealy baseball not softball.

Sealy softball coach would never let this happen.
leaving base early is his favorite.

DU_stud04
03-14-2008, 10:43 PM
run up the score and make your opponent feel you're wrath. it's funner that way. :evil:

i remember one game baseball game.... me and 6 others had home runs, some multiple. final score was 36-3 i think. it was fun :D

3aSoftball4Mom
03-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
run up the score and make your opponent feel you're wrath. it's funner that way. :evil:

i remember one game baseball game.... me and 6 others had home runs, some multiple. final score was 36-3 i think. it was fun :D

I bet you wouldn't think it was so much fun if a team did that to your team. :D :D :D lol
and truthfully, is that really that much fun? not much of a challenge.:D

My motto in games like that is "run rule" them and go home, but not run them into the ground, so to speak. ;)

zebrablue2
03-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
I bet you wouldn't think it was so much fun if a team did that to your team. :D :D :D lol
and truthfully, is that really that much fun? not much of a challenge.:D

My motto in games like that is "run rule" them and go home, but not run them into the ground, so to speak. ;)

you and I think the same way.

DU_stud04
03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
I bet you wouldn't think it was so much fun if a team did that to your team.:D :D :D
and truthfully, is that really that much fun? not much of a challenge.

My motto in games like that is "run rule" them and go home, but not run them into the ground, so to speak. i'm a winner ma'am. :D it wouldn't happen to me

we play the real sport, we dont have "the left early" rule, so it would be hard to get that easy out. i'd put in the kids who don't see much playing time, but i'm not going to tell them to stop playing the game. if the other team didn't want to lose that bad, they should do something about it. :D

DU_stud04
03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
okay.... the way i always saw it is that i always want to know you are trying your hardest against me no matter what, it makes me feel better, knowing you werent going soft on me. its the ole phrase hit me with your best shot. i like being set in my place instead of some where i think i am. growing up i would compete (or atleast try) against my brother who is 8 years older. being 9 i would get hammered by him.... but i would get mad when he would let me win or not just completely destroy me, i dont like being given things, i work hard for what i get, even if it is a over the top spanking.

3aSoftball4Mom
03-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i'm a winner ma'am. it wouldn't happen to me

we play the real sport, we dont have "the left early" rule, so it would be hard to get that easy out. i'd put in the kids who don't see much playing time, but i'm not going to tell them to stop playing the game. if the other team didn't want to lose that bad, they should do something about it.

okay.... the way i always saw it is that i always want to know you are trying you're hardest against me no matter what, it makes me feel better, knowing you werent going soft on me. its the ole phrase hit me with your best shot. i like being set in my place instead of some where i think i am. growing up i would compete (or atleast try) against my brother who is 8 years older. being 9 i would get hammered by him.... but i would get mad when he would let me win or not just completely destroy me, i dont like being given things, i work hard for what i get, even if it is a over the top spanking.

I understand that you are trying to funny about this...:D :D

However,
what happens when your still beating the heck out of a team when you put the kids in that don't play much in your "real sport"?
I HATE, HATE, HATE the fact that a team makes outs on purpose. I don't believe in making outs that way. (too many outs are made when you don't want them, as it is) That certainly couldn't make the other team feel too good either, knowing your making outs on purpose. very humiliating.... But, sometimes if you don't do that, you could go on forever!

As far as your statement if the other team didn't want to lose that bad, they should do something about it. your kidding right???
if youv'e been around sports long enough, you know that sometimes, the talent just isn't there and it doesn't matter how long you try, it just noy going to happen.

have fun in your "real sport" wnner! :D

DU_stud04
03-15-2008, 12:15 AM

However,
what happens when your still beating the heck out of a team when you put the kids in that don't play much in your "real sport"?
I HATE, HATE, HATE the fact that a team makes outs on purpose. I don't believe in making outs that way. (too many outs are made when you don't want them, as it is) That certainly couldn't make the other team feel too good either, knowing your making outs on purpose. very humiliating.... But, sometimes if you don't do that, you could go on forever!

As far as your statement if the other team didn't want to lose that bad, they should do something about it. your kidding right???
if youv'e been around sports long enough, you know that sometimes, the talent just isn't there and it doesn't matter how long you try, it just noy going to happen.

have fun in your "real sport" wnner! :D when your subs are still beating the other team dearly.... then...well..... :looks around: sucks to be them! :D

ive seen where umps go to the coach and tell them theyre going to have a very loose strike zone for said winning team to help speed the game up.

I feel ive been around sports for a good time and do understand the fact some teams just dont have the talent others have. some teams just have their nights too and every player is on. but, this is where you know you need to get better, and you have to have the want to get better so that spanking doesn't happen as bad or again. even if you dont have the talent to do the back hand or diving catch.... sell out and knock the ball down instead of giving up on a play because you dont have the talent.

practice helps when natural talent isnt there. ive seen it happen. even if they never get as good as the other team, they're still better than they were before, and thats what counts right? getting better and learning values of never giving up.

3afan
03-15-2008, 06:45 AM

umps? ABSOLUTELY NOT ... obviously you have never officiated HS sports before

this is 100% a coaches responsibility

I have a potential game like this on Tuesday - Lake Worth & Dallas Roosevelt. I'm not sure if their district has the 15 after 3 run rule, I sure hope so.

Phil C
03-15-2008, 10:41 AM

However,

have fun in your "real sport" wnner! :D

I know what you mean about making outs on purpose. You are doing it to be merciful but at the same time it is kind of an insult to the opponents and some of them take is as such. Still it is a touch situation for both teams.

Phil C
03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Teams don't always run up scores on purpose. You never can tell what will happen. Remember softball is not timed but rather it is three outs in each half inning and until you get that third out the game isn't over. It isn't like football and basketball where when you have a big lead you can try to keep it down in the last few minutes.
I think it was two years ago that Falfurrias had ten runs on West Oso in a non-district and was one out away from ending the game when an error gave West Oso not end it. West Oso rallied to tie it and it went into several innings before West Oso finally won. So sometimes things happen and you never know where you might need runs.

jimmyceatworld
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
if that is true, that is just wrong... I don't believe that..

COULD NOT AGREE ANY MORE

BwdLion_80
03-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The umps can't call players out if they aren't really out.

You wanna bet???????

3aSoftball4Mom
03-15-2008, 07:17 PM
You wanna bet???????
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: you've got that right!

See that every game!!!!! ha ha ha :D :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :D

Trashman
03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
The way to do this gracefully and to ensure that your kids always play their best, is to move players to positions that they would never play. Cather to pitcher. Right field to short etc. The kids have fun, and will give it their best and the other team saves face because they are none the wiser. Seen it done many times in baseball, softball and even football.

NastySlot
03-16-2008, 02:08 PM
This is Sealy baseball not softball.

Sealy softball coach would never let this happen.
leaving base early is his favorite.

i agree when i first saw that i didn't believe it ...casey is too classy.

Old Tiger
03-16-2008, 02:09 PM
If a team can't stop another team then how is it the team who is winnings fault? You play to win the game regardless or scores or situations...nuff said.

NastySlot
03-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
If a team can't stop another team then how is it the team who is winnings fault? You play to win the game regardless or scores or situations...nuff said.

you right but when one team is clearly the more dominant and can dictate when the game could end then they should......there is nothing to gain from beating an overmatched opponent and for the most part(seeing with teams I played for and ones I coached)..coaches and players hate these types of games....and your 100% right you always play to win........

NastySlot
03-16-2008, 02:30 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: you've got that right!

See that every game!!!!! ha ha ha :D :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :D

they sure heck call them safe when there is no doubt they're out....saw it Friday night....didn't hurt.

Phil C
03-16-2008, 05:27 PM
They need to change the rule probably to where when a game is out of hand the umpires can have the descreation to call it and end it. If there are two umpires they both have to agree to call the game and if more then majority must approve ending the game.

3afan
03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
They need to change the rule probably to where when a game is out of hand the umpires can have the descreation to call it and end it. If there are two umpires they both have to agree to call the game and if more then majority must approve ending the game.

no way - this need to be on the teams, not the officials ......

if you want officials to handle it then beef up the mercy rules. this can NOT be a discretionary call ...

BwdLion_80
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
umps? ABSOLUTELY NOT ... obviously you have never officiated HS sports before

OH BOY! You sure don't know me there do ya forney boy!

Tell me, just how long have you been calling softball/baseball/football?

3afan
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
OH BOY! You sure don't know me there do ya forney boy!

Tell me, just how long have you been calling softball/baseball/football?

true - I dont know you ... my comment was based only on the "The umps should not have let this happen!" comment --- thats hard to believe a seasoned official would say that. An officials job is to enforces the rules ... period. not make judgements on when to give teams outs when outs are not made just because the score is out of hand. about the only thing you can do is increase/decrease your zone ... IMO anything else is off limits. otherwise call 'em as you see 'em to the best of your ability. if a girl steps off a base to make an out, or whatever, then call it - but its not the OFFICIALS responsibility.

that is all

Antec
03-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Now I regret even starting this subject

The bad thing is that Royal has 10 more games to play

Hitchcock is in the same boat in 2A

BwdLion_80
03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
true - I dont know you ... my comment was based only on the "The umps should not have let this happen!" comment --- thats hard to believe a seasoned official would say that. An officials job is to enforces the rules ... period. not make judgements on when to give teams outs when outs are not made just because the score is out of hand. about the only thing you can do is increase/decrease your zone ... IMO anything else is off limits. otherwise call 'em as you see 'em to the best of your ability. if a girl steps off a base to make an out, or whatever, then call it - but its not the OFFICIALS responsibility.

that is all

You are avoiding the question. How long have you been officiating?

I have been calling baseball and softball for over 17 years. It is true that there is not much you can do in baseball when a game gets way out of hand, but, as an umpire, I am not out there to see anyone get embarrassed or humiliated! In a softball game that gets out of hand, varsity or otherwise, if the winning coach does not do something to "help out" the losing team, then, yes, I will make the strike zone larger, while telling the winning teams batters that if it is close, they had better be swinging! If I am on the bases, if anyone remotely gets close to leaving base early I will call them out! The "look back rule" gets an even closer look! Any close play at a base is an out! In all my years I have never, and I mean never, had a winning team coach complain or get upset when this happens! A lot of them don't seem to want to do it on their own, and they appear appreciative when it is done. I guess that they don't want their parents to get upset at them or something. One other thing, I have never been scratched at any school for any reason.

Is it right? No, but like I said, no one is out there to see anyone else get embarrassed and some teams just cannot compete at the level of others!

3afan
03-16-2008, 07:48 PM

I have been calling baseball and softball for over 17 years. It is true that there is not much you can do in baseball when a game gets way out of hand, but, as an umpire, I am not out there to see anyone get embarrassed or humiliated! In a softball game that gets out of hand, varsity or otherwise, if the winning coach does not do something to "help out" the losing team, then, yes, I will make the strike zone larger, while telling the winning teams batters that if it is close, they had better be swinging! If I am on the bases, if anyone remotely gets close to leaving base early I will call them out! The "look back rule" gets an even closer look! Any close play at a base is an out! In all my years I have never, and I mean never, had a winning team coach complain or get upset when this happens! A lot of them don't seem to want to do it on their own, and they appear appreciative when it is done. I guess that they don't want their parents to get upset at them or something. One other thing, I have never been scratched at any school for any reason.

Is it right? No, but like I said, no one is out there to see anyone else get embarrassed and some teams just cannot compete at the level of others!

I agree there are things officials can do - but they do not have that obligation. thats my point.

and not that its relevant, but I've been calling about 20 years (including UIL Regional finals 2 of the the past 3 years) ...

BwdLion_80
03-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't believe that I ever said that the umps were "obligated" to do this. As an ump, I do know that if a game gets out of hand and the winning coach won't do anything, I will and others should too! Not all districts have a 15 after 3 rule since that is an ASA rule and if things are not done when a game gets out of hand, then there is no telling what kind of scores you might see.

lv2937
03-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Is it right? No, but like I said, no one is out there to see anyone else get embarrassed and some teams just cannot compete at the level of others! i agree with u 100%. i also umpire softball. this year make 32yrs. i also coach a 14u pony league softball team. We have our first game on the 29th against the defending national champs. hope the umps strike zone gets real big against them. i have 4 girls that have never played softball before.

Bull19
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
i can remember shutting out hempsted in b-ball 33-0, 34-0, etc. our motivation for those games would be my fellow teammates. if u were to strike out against hempsted you would be completely harrassed for weeks to come. oh those were the days.

and a little f.y.i. i can remember one year when hempsted showed up to the field, got off the bus, and went straight to the dugout. didnt even warm-up before the game. they just sat there in the dugout until the game started.