PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Team of All Time Debate

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I am wondering..Why does it seem the greatest of all time team debate always comes down to defense?

No doubt the 83 D'Field team is the best..but IMO a team like Gilmer's State title team and that offense should be one of the top of all time, bit gets discounted at times because of their supposed "weak" D

outscoring a team is just as effective as shutting out a team

lostaussie
03-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am wondering..Why does it seem the greatest of all time team debate always comes down to defense?

No doubt the 83 D'Field team is the best..but IMO a team like Gilmer's State title team and that offense should be one of the top of all time, bit gets discounted at times because of their supposed "weak" D

outscoring a team is just as effective as shutting out a team We gave up 47 to a great Jasper team.............but if you go back and look for the year, i think we were in the top 10 in scoring defense. we had a pretty good defense in 04'.

BuffyMars
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
mmm...hmmm....and it just so happens you are from e. tx. biased much?

BuffyMars
03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
WHY IS THERE ALWAYS A GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME DEBATE AT ALL?

BECAUSE UNLESS THERE IS A PERFECT TEAM OUT THERE WHO NEVER MISSED A PLAY OR NEVER MADE ANY BAD CALLS....YOU COULD PRETTY MUCH DISCREDIT ANY GREAT TEAM ON SOME LEVEL.

SO IN ACTUALITY....SHOULDN'T IT BE MORE LIKE THE GREATEST DEFENSIVE TEAM OF ALL TIME, AND THE GREATEST OFFENSIVE TEAM OF ALL TIME?

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T COMPARE A GREAT OFFENSIVE TEAM TO A GREAT DEFENSIVE TEAM. THATS LIKE ASKING IF APPLES ARE BETTER THAN ORANGES.

------

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, IM AT WORK. :nerd:

trojan37
03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I believe the reason you hear so much about Daingerfield is not only because of their defense, which was obviously awesome, but they also had an offense to back it up as well. They scored over 600 points in 83, so it's not like they were just a defensive team.

NastySlot
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
can't speak for others....but defense wins championships....my thinking is that if teams have dominant defense's then they are hard to beat....good offensive teams just have to outscore another team...ie 50-45 scores.....not the mark of a great team......so i guess if you think about last season's Liberty Hill team should be ranked a little higher....just my thinking...........i'll use Tech on the college level as an example...I think they have had really good teams lately because of their offense....just think if they had some pretty stout defensive units...they would be a top ten team year in year out.

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I believe the reason you hear so much about Daingerfield is not only because of their defense, which was obviously awesome, but they also had an offense to back it up as well. They scored over 600 points in 83, so it's not like they were just a defensive team.

I dont mean D'Field I know how great they were on both sides of the ball...I just meant in general when it comes to all time debates it seems people are always quick to point to more defensive talented teams than offensive talented teams

WOS87
Offense was big in the 1920's but Defense ruled from the late 1920's all the way up until the late 1980's. Since then Offense has once again been the predominant force as you can see from the chart below.

37 of the all-time top 50 state champs by offense are from the past 20 seasons
Only 2 state championship teams from the past 20 seasons made the all-time top 50 by defense.

Here is a table of the top 50 UIL football state champions ranked by average points scored per game, average points allowed per game and average margin of victory for each of their championship seasons. All 11-man teams Class B through Class 5A from 1920-2006 were included in compiling this.

I need to add the 2007 state champs in but I think there are only 2 or 3 of them that would make it on here, so the updated graphic would be very similar to this one.

For reference the largest classification that existed for each time period is as follows:
1920-1938 1A
1939-1950 2A
1951-1979 4A
1980-2006 5A

http://members.aol.com/cboehme/thsf/bestever.gif

NastySlot
Originally posted by BuffyMars
WHY IS THERE ALWAYS A GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME DEBATE AT ALL?

BECAUSE UNLESS THERE IS A PERFECT TEAM OUT THERE WHO NEVER MISSED A PLAY OR NEVER MADE ANY BAD CALLS....YOU COULD PRETTY MUCH DISCREDIT ANY GREAT TEAM ON SOME LEVEL.

SO IN ACTUALITY....SHOULDN'T IT BE MORE LIKE THE GREATEST DEFENSIVE TEAM OF ALL TIME, AND THE GREATEST OFFENSIVE TEAM OF ALL TIME?

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T COMPARE A GREAT OFFENSIVE TEAM TO A GREAT DEFENSIVE TEAM. THATS LIKE ASKING IF APPLES ARE BETTER THAN ORANGES.

------

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, IM AT WORK. :nerd:

you could ask the question what is the best fruit.

BuffyMars
03-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

ALL A MATTER OF OPINION.

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
can't speak for others....but defense wins championships....my thinking is that if teams have dominant defense's then they are hard to beat....good offensive teams just have to outscore another team...ie 50-45 scores.....not the mark of a great team......so i guess if you think about last season's Liberty Hill team should be ranked a little higher....just my thinking...........i'll use Tech on the college level as an example...I think they have had really good teams lately because of their offense....just think if they had some pretty stout defensive units...they would be a top ten team year in year out.

Or maybe if Tech had more BALANCED offensive talent

And I am not talking about a team that is all offense and no defense, I am talking about teams like Gilmer in 04..GREAT offense...good D

NastySlot
03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
ALL A MATTER OF OPINION.

thats for sure.....it's all a matter of opinion and how you look at the question.

trojan37
03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I would have to throw Southlake Carroll, since entering 5A into this debate. They had some o.k. defensive teams, but to me it was definitely their offense that won games for them. Until this year.

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 01:31 PM
thats for sure.....it's all a matter of opinion and how you look at the question.

I like to look at questions upside down

jason
03-14-2008, 01:33 PM
you could ask the question what is the best fruit. peaches

mmm.......

NastySlot
03-14-2008, 01:35 PM
I would have to throw Southlake Carroll, since entering 5A into this debate. They had some o.k. defensive teams, but to me it was definitely their offense that won games for them. Until this year.

but if you think about the type of offense they run their defense's have been pretty good.....quick hitting not on the field long offense's don't give the defensive units much rest......and the SLC teams i've seen the last few season's had some stud defenders.

trojan37
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
but if you think about the type of offense they run their defense's have been pretty good.....quick hitting not on the field long offense's don't give the defensive units much rest......and the SLC teams i've seen the last few season's had some stud defenders.

That's true. They have had some good linebacker groups, and some pretty good db's. This year's d suffered from graduation big time. But if you're looking to mention an offensive team in the greatest team of all time debate, these guyse need to be mentioned.

LionKing
03-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Trying to remember the defensive back who played for Baylor and the Dallas Cowboys when they won the 2 Super Bowls under Jimmy Johnson, I believe his last name was Everett, and was a member of that 83' Daingerfield team.

trojan37
03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
Trying to remember the defensive back who played for Baylor and the Dallas Cowboys when they won the 2 Super Bowls under Jimmy Johnson, I believe his last name was Everett, and was a member of that 83' Daingerfield team.

Thomas Everett.

Phil C
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I remember Texas A&I University (Kingsville, TX) had a great offense in 1974 winning the NAIA NC that year with a perfect record. The thing is they could really put on the points. They had a young defense and it needed experience so it wasn't a strong point for them. But they got the job done when they had to. One game against Stephen F. Austin was very close as they won 28 to 24. Teams could move the ball on them and even score on them but when it came to the need to do a big play from then they came through. I don't remeber the games or scores and unfortunately I can't fine them but like Troy State scored a last minute td to be within one point and went for 2 and the td held them saving a perfect season. As the defense got experience they became tough and started being very tough after about the sixth game and from then on it was an unbeatable team.

Phil C
03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
When UT won the NC in football in 1969 people talked about the offensive stars such as James Street, Steve Worster, Cotton Speyrer, etc. But the defense was what helped a lot. That defense was one of the top teams against running and scoring and did great on pass defense. They gave the offense very good field position consistently and even scored a few tds themselves.

Matthew328
03-14-2008, 09:17 PM
1983 Daingerfield was as close to perfect as any team could be

zebrablue2
03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
sealy's 4 in a row in the 90's. that was the bomb.. almost impossible to do...

NastySlot
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
give Liberty Hill two more years...

coachc45
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Thomas Everett.

Thomas Everett did not play on the 1983 team. He graduated the year before. He did play at baylor and the cowboys.

His younger brother Eric Everett played in 1983. He played at Texas Tech then went on and played for the eagles and Bucs in the nfl.

coachc45
03-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Thomas Everett.

Thomas Everett is the DB that played at Baylor and the two Super Bowls with the Cowboys. He did not play on the 1983 team at daingerfield. He graduated the year before.

His younger brother Eric Everett played DB at Daingerfield on the 83 team. He went on and played at Texas Tech, then the Eagles and Bucs in the NFL.