PDA

View Full Version : You just never know about some people.....

olddawggreen
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Fascinating! You just never know about people.

This is really a bit of history...some of you in the service will remember
these fellows..the younger generation...will just remember what they did in there lives when they were so young. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did...

Gone but not forgotten..........

Captain Kangaroo passed away on January 23, 2004 as age 76 , which is odd,
& gt;because he always looked to be 76. (DOB: 6/27/27 ) His death reminded me of
the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried
in a grave alongside 3- and 4-star generals at Arlington National Cemetery.
His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else.
Here's& nbsp; a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time,
why the heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the
amazing answer:

I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent of his Corps
experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed
forces often in rear echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be
trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin
was a genuine he ro. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima .. There is only one
higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor!

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits
his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

Dialog from "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson": His guest was Lee
Marvin. Johnny said,"Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you
were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ...and that during the
course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely
wounded. Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me the Cross
for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. Bad thing about getting
shot up on a mountain is guys getting' shot hauling you down. But,Johnny, at
Iwo I served under the bravest man I eve r knew... We both got the Cross the
same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison.
That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to
move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by, with mortar
rounds landing everywhere and he stood there as the main target of gunfire
so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one
occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off
Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me,
lying on my belly on the litter and said, "Where'd they get you Lee? Well Bob...
if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the
outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the brave st man I ever knew.
The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know him as Captain
Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on
PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers was another of those you would least
suspect of being anything but what he portrayed to our youth. But Mr.
Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal; combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five
confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV to
cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms
and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and a
pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest
of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life. He hid
away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit
and charm.

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go about
their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our respect
and the freedoms that we al l enjoy. Look around and see if you can find
one of those heroes in your midst. Often, they are the ones you'd least
suspect, but would most like to have on your side if anything ever
happened.

Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom.

With encouragement, they could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers

pirate4state
03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
wow

I always enjoyed both of their shows. The name Lee Marvin was familiar to me, but I must admit I had to google him to found out why it was familiar. :) Then it was "oh, that guy!" :D

good read, thanks for posting it

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Mr Rogers was NOT in the military

pirate4state
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Mr Rogers was NOT in the military

:mad: Maybe it's classified! :(

oh well, i still enjoy reading a good story, even if it is fiction! :tongue:

rockdale80
03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

it is fiction.

Ranger Mom
03-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Don't you just hate when you hear a "feel good" story and then someone has to come in and bust your bubble!!

MEANIES!!!:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
it is fiction.

yes and no

Capt Kangoroo was in WWII..just never fought..and Lee MArvin fought, but not at Iwo Jima

pirate4state
03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Don't you just hate when you hear a "feel good" story and then someone has to come in and bust your bubble!!

Right? Gah!

nvm....:devil:

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I hate when people feel the need to make up a story to try to garner support when there are plenty of real life "feel good" stories

olddawggreen
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Yep, your right, I'e been Punked! The rest of the story.......

Though rugged actor Lee Marvin was a frequent guest on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show," it's unclear whether the exchange cited in this letter ever took place. What we do know is that the story can't be true, regardless of whether it was actually ever told. Here are the facts:

Keeshan turned 75 on June 27, 2002. The current version of the rumor above had been circulating long before that. This comment has been added by an anonymous forwarder.
Bob Keeshan and Lee Marvin both served in the Marines, but never together.
Marvin was wounded at the battle of Saipan, two months prior to Iwo Jima. He received the Purple Heart, not the Navy Cross, for his injuries. There is no record of him serving at Iwo Jima.
Keeshan enlisted in the Marines in June, 1945 - four months after Iwo Jima. He never saw action during the war and never received the Navy Cross.
Entertainment legends are expected to tell legendary tales. It's possible that Marvin did relate this story, but its also just as likely that it's an urban legend that got attributed to Marvin to make it sound better. Not surprisingly, this chain picked up some steam in response to Keeshan's death on January 23, 2004, at age 76.

Urban legends that portray childrens' television stars in a situation or profession that is in stark contrast to their on-screen personas are common. Can you imagine dear Captain Kangaroo lying in the sand, clad in fatigues, dragging on a cigarette? Me neither, that's why legends like this endure - shock value.

Newer versions of the Marvin/Keeshan chain above now carry an interesting prologue that suggests another beloved Childrens' TV personality has a dark and deadly secret:

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another one of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long sleeve sweater to cover the many tattoo's on his forearm and biceps.

A master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat. He hid that away and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

This one is completely the stuff of Urban Legend - the facts simply do not bear it out. (The same rumor has also been falsely applied to folk singer, John Denver.) Rogers was never in the military - let alone a Navy Seal. And, he was born in 1928, so he would've been the oldest sniper in Viet Nam.

It's no surprise that this bit of folklore resurfaced in the days following Fred Rogers' death in 2003 - and the Marvin/Keeshan chain seems a logical vehicle to tack it on to. But, to paraphrase an old cliche, two lies do not make a truth. Break this Chain.

pirate4state
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I hate when people feel the need to make up a story to try to garner support when there are plenty of real life "feel good" stories well go find those and share them with the class!! gah...

Phil C
03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Three movie stars that were well known WW2 Heroes were Audie Murphy, Neville Brand and Wayne Morris.
Audie Murphy was the most decorated hero in WW2 and made many great movies including To Hell and Back, The Red Badge of Courage, No Name on the Bullet, etc.
Neville Brand was a WW2 hereo and has quite often mistakenly been called the fourth most decorated hero in WW2. Despite it not being true he was awarded several medals forr galentry in battle including the Silver Star. He was mostly a character actor in the movies and tv series. He was in the 1953 war movie Stalag 17, the tv series Laredo and Cahill U.S. Marshall with John Wayne.
Wayne Morris was in the Air Force in WW2. He had been in the movies before WW2 playing mostly boy next door type parts. During the war he was credited with shooting down 7 Japanese planes and sinking 5 Japanese ships. He returned to the movies after the War and played character actors until his untimely death in 1958. Ironically in one of his last movies (Paths of Glory with Kirk Douglas) he plays a cowardly officer that causes the death of a brave man. Strange irony indeed.

Phil C
03-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Clark Gable was a great actor and was in many movies including his oscar winning performance movie It Happened One Night, The Tall Men, and The Misfits. During the war he flew several bombing missions against Germany. Hitler admired him so much that he offered a reward for his capture alive. He gave his oscar to a child and after his death the child who was now grown up returned the oscar to his family in a classy gesture. (Take that you fans that got Barry Bond's home run hits for the tying and making records). It was pointed out that he was dyslexic after his death which goes to show what great determination will do for you.

His wife Carole Lombarde had appeared in great movies like My Man Godfrey and Mr. and Mrs. Smith (catch this one if you can because it is one of the few comedy type movies directed by Alfred Hitchcock). She had flown to Indiana to raise war bonds for WW2 but was killed in a plane crash returning to California. She was the love light of Clark Gable and he never got over her death. It was big loss to Hollywood also.

Sweetwater Red
03-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Not very reliable but here you go.:)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061105053553AAn8tSo

Phil C
03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
NFL Offensive Lineman Al Bozis played for the NY Giants. On 12-17-44 he played his last game with the Giants for the NFL championship losing to the Packers 14 - 7 in a great defensive game. Al was commended for his great play in a valiant losing cause. A few weeks later he lost his life fighting for his country at the Battle of the Bulge.

Sweetwater Red
03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
NFL Offensive Lineman Al Bozis played for the NY Giants. On 12-17-44 he played his last game with the Giants for the NFL championship losing to the Packers 14 - 7 in a great defensive game. Al was commended for his great play in a valiant losing cause. A few weeks later he lost his life fighting for his country at the Battle of the Bulge.

Did you read my link? Is it true that John Wayne was 4F'd for
having flat feet?

Phil C
03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Yes. He never fought in a war but he really loved the country and worked for the war efforts and was a big patriot.

Bob Hope wasn't even born here but moved here while he was a baby and his efforts for the war is documented very well. While he was able he at a risk to his life entertained the troops very often especially at Christmas Time.

sinton66
03-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Lee Marvin did in fact tell that story on the Tonight show. I know because I saw it.

sinton66
03-14-2008, 09:20 PM
There are plenty of real life heros and they are usually people you don't suspect. Until my brother's funeral (with full Military honors) I never knew he had won both the bronze and silver star with the Marines in Vietnam. He never said a word about it. The only thing I knew he had was the Purple Heart.